Exercise 3hrs/wk - light or mod active for Scooby's wkshop?

Hello. I am getting frustrated with my plateau since January where I was around 148-150. I have upped my calories for a while now (mid March I believe) and have been consistently eating at my TDEE -15% (1768) since May 31st (previously I was too inconsistent w/ calorie intake). I am trying to be patient but getting tired of no weightloss! Sorry to complain to you all.

So today I have been analyzing everything. I have been doing Jillian's RI30 & NMTZ along with some fast walking (4 mph) and this averages around 3 hours or a little over - 200 minutes give or take a few.

Scooby's workshop has 1-3 hrs as light and 3-5 hrs moderate. I have been using the moderate level. Do you think I should be at the light level? Just wondering if this is my problem... I had been at 146.5 the last week of April - my lightest ever - so only had seen a 2 pound loss since Jan. but have been at 149-150 since the beginning of May.

I am going in circles! I need to be more patient but it is getting very difficult to be these days...

Thanks for your advice:smile:

Replies

• rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Tagging along on this thread as I'd like to know the answer as well :smile:
  • I had the same issue because I also do about 3 hours of exercise a week. It's the difference of about 200 calories for me between light and moderate, so it was sort of important for me to figure it out.

I'm currently eating at the light activity level and have been for about a week. Keeping it up for a while longer to see how I do, but I've noticed I feel more "right" at that level and my net calories for the day when I exercise is consistently about 100 over my BMR. So I think I'm where I need to be.

I'd check your net calories at the end of workout days and see how far you're netting above your BMR. If you're netting pretty close, I'd say you've got it right; if you're netting under BMR more than a day or two a week and having to eat back calories, I'd say you should up your activity level to the next tier... and if you're like 500 calories over, you may be overestimating activity.

That's how I'm doing it, anyway. :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    2 weeks isn't really long enough to judge whether you are at the right activity level. You need to give it 6-8 weeks and then evaluate where you're at.
  • rubybeach
    Bumping this to see if there's a "general" EM2WL answer to what the an activity level should be set to when you are doing ONLY NROLFW ......... (3 days a week).

Lightly active

Or

Moderate ?

• degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    I too have been eating at TDEE - 15% for about a week now?? was eating TDEE sedentary - 15% and then eating back workout cals before that. I was hovering between 193 and 191 before this journey, and am now hovering around 191. (before starting this I had gone down to 190.5 for about a day and then back up to 193 and stayed in that range. I have since gotten down to 190 even, but back up to 191...Uggg... it is frustratining... this is why they say throw the scale away and bring out your tape measure.

Since starting I have dropped a pant size down to size 14. So something is changing... :) Keep with it consistently and see where you are at.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Bumping this to see if there's a "general" EM2WL answer to what the an activity level should be set to when you are doing ONLY NROLFW ......... (3 days a week).

Lightly active

Or

Moderate ?

Use the Scooby Calc and simply go by hours/min. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I don't do NROLFW, but it just really comes down to the time. If you find yourself on the border of two levels, I usually recommend the higher one, because you'd be surprised how many calories you burn doing daily life "stuff". :wink: Of course if you really do sit on your butt all day except for your workouts, then go with the lower one.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    2 weeks isn't really long enough to judge whether you are at the right activity level. You need to give it 6-8 weeks and then evaluate where you're at.

Agreed.
  • rubybeach

Lightly active

Or

Moderate ?

Use the Scooby Calc and simply go by hours/min. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ I don't do NROLFW, but it just really comes down to the time. If you find yourself on the border of two levels, I usually recommend the higher one, because you'd be surprised how many calories you burn doing daily life "stuff". :wink: Of course if you really do sit on your butt all day except for your workouts, then go with the lower one.

Good points, thank you! :flowerforyou: