Anyone wish they hadn't had the surgery?

Options
13»

Replies

• vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about mine. The weight loss is fantastic, but it has come at a huuuuuuugeeee price due to major complications with my first surgery.

Since Dec 2011 to Feb 2012 I have undergone two major surgeries (the sleeve and the RNY as a revision) as well as about 12 other scoping/dilating/stent procedures. I was essentially in the hospital for three months, ended up with a PICC line, couldn't take ANYTHING by mouth after my first surgery. I literally did not eat or drink for about a month, and was fed IV through my PICC line.

Now, the complications I had with my surgery (stricture of my stomach post sleeve) are said to be about a 3% rate of complication, and the first complication of that kind that my surgeon ever encountered.

I have been one miserable gal for about 5 months or so, and I still deal with constant nausea and vomiting (though the physical vomiting is much less now).

So, if I knew then what I know now... likely that I would NOT have done it.

Then again, being 100lbs lighter, able to breathe better, move better, it is certainly worth all of the pain and crap I have been through. It also gives me motivation to be healthy and be proactively so every day.

Hahaha, long answer short- I don't think I regret it, but before anyone undergoes the surgery I think it would behoove them to consider that it is by no means a cinch.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Reading the stories about RNY, makes me super happy about my decision to ignore my doc and go with Lapband instead. I had my surgery in May of 2010. I wasn't one of the super successful ones that lost 100 pounds in a year. My band alone helped me lose about 25 pounds by restricting the amount of food I could eat. I would go on and off plan and lost another 35 pounds or so. Then, I decided to get serious - working out, eating right. It's been a process, but I have no regrets. Do I sometimes wish I'd gone the other route and gotten the weight off faster? Yes, but that's just the kind of person I am - Immediate Gratification!! Do I regret the decision to get the band. Not for one second. Not even when I'm back and forth to the bathroom because I've eaten chicken that's too dry or took too big of a bite. I truly think it's saved my life.
  • huttlestonk
    Options
    HELLO
    I HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY IN APRIL OF 2000. I HAVE REGRETS I HAVE HAD SOME COMPLICATIONS MY BODY WILL NOT ABSORB IRON AND OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS. I HAVE DEVELOPED SEVERE OSTOPROSIS HAVE HAD STRESS FRACTURES IN MY BACK. THROW UP ALOT. MENTALLY VERY HARD THIS IS NOT A QUICK FIX. ALOT OF IT IS MIND OVER MATTER. I WEIGHED 345 IN 2000. MY LOWEST WEIGHT WAS 130. AND NOW I AM BACK UP TO 200. DEPRESSED AND ANGRY AT MYSELF BECAUSE I DID NOT TRY HARD ENOUGH. NOW ONCE AGAIN I AM STRUGGLING WITH MY WEIGHT AND WHATEVER YOU DO FOLLOW WHAT THE DOCTORS SAY. STAY IN A SUPPORT GROUP. I WISH YOU WELL.
  • Moonladee
    Moonladee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am 9 weeks out.. I had the Sleeve. Best choice I made!! I am a chef.. I love food! and I have so much respect for what I eat!! I eat clean, and workout 5 to 6 days a week.. I am about 100 lbs down, and 46.5 inches gone!!