taking a baby step plunge

Today I am taking a baby step plunge in my life and upping my calories...not by a ton but when I started this journey in Jan. I was eating the recommended 1200 by MFP. I upped the calories myself to 1350 then up to 1600 then down to 1550. I am losing but am hitting the plateau wall. I have been following this forum a lot and write down notes daily as to tips/suggestions. Today I am upping my calories from 1550 to 1700. I do not know if i can jump in with both feet and up to the 2000 mark just yet. Small baby steps as I am terrified to gain. If I see gains I get discouraged and want to stop.

Here are my stats and background:
Height: 5'5
Wt: Today 188.5
Goal: 150
BMR:1578
TDEE: 2446
TDEE-15%: 1957
I am a teacher and work through the summer months. I also hit the gym or bike ride 6/7 days per week usually for a daily calorie burn there of 300-700 calories depending on the day.

I am going to net the 1700 daily with eating back all of my exercise calories. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Replies

• KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    I'd up right to 1950 cals if I were you.
    I'm eating 1900 more or less at the moment and trying to go up to 2000 actually.
    I'm 5'5 as well, and if youre exercise level is Moderate to Active like it sounds then youre "sweet spot" might just also be around 1900-2000 for losing. (Ive sort of seen a trend in this with ladies at the 5'5 mark) Its worth the 4-8weeks of consistency and NOT GETTING ON THE SCALE... hehe.
    Rather grap the tape measure and your camera and take pics and measurements. Wait 4 weeks and do it again.
    Remember...this is for LIFE...no more dieting - EVER. I really, really like that part. :bigsmile:
    Good luck and we are always here!! :flowerforyou:
  • should I up to 1950 and eat back my exercise calories like I am eating them back now?
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    should I up to 1950 and eat back my exercise calories like I am eating them back now?

Hello!

Nope, dont eat back the exercise calories. Your TDEE has them factored in :)

Thanks,
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    I get your TDEE-15% at 2079 unless I'm calculating wrong. Usually your cut value is the number of calories you want to eat daily, regardless of the amount of exercise you do. The only exception is if your calorie burn puts you below your BMR, so if you burn more than 500 calories on any given day, you should eat back until your net is 1578. So if you use the 2079 number, you dont need to eat back calories.

BTW, many people enter 1 calorie burned for their exercise on MFP and enter actual burn in exercise notes so that your calorie goal doesn't factor in exercise. That way you don't get confused about how many calories you have left to eat. Make sense?
  • Thank you all for your advice! I will try it out and see how it goes!!!!!