Scooby you confuse the ***** out of me! Please help!

kooshajan
kooshajan Posts: 174 Member
Ive been asking around a few times but never get any responses. Please can someone help?

I am very interested in the whole Eat More To Weigh Less concept because Im not going to lie. I enjoy food but I do want m weight loss to be a healthy weightloss as Ive dropped over 50lbs in 3 months in the past and was constantly sick doing it. Never again!

Anyways, from what I understand in order to succeed in losing weight a deficit must be created. Whether its from less food, more exercise or both. Correct?

I am currently eating my BMR of 1656 (which by the way MFP has at 1560) and eating back only half of the cals I burn. I have mfp set to lose 1lb per week which results in me eating at my BMR so any exercise I include I concider that a bonus deficit as it makes my deficit larger (I have 60lbs to lose).

Ive been reading up on the scooby workout calc and got these stats:

My BMR is 1656.
My TDEE at lightly active (sedentary job but ALOT of walking and cleaning...I am a clean freak) is 2278
15% cut 1936 cals.

Thats only a 342 daily deifict or .68lb loss per week?!

But if I exercise more (5 days a week)
My BMR IS 1656
MY TDEE at mod active is 2568
15% cut 2182

Thats only a 386 daily deficit?

This is where I am concerned and confused! Does the 2182 cut include the exercise in the deficit (telling me to eat 386 calories less but burn 500 calories more in exrecise) for a total deficit of 886?

With this method is the whole eat 500 less and burn 500 more even included?

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Ive been asking around a few times but never get any responses. Please can someone help?

I am very interested in the whole Eat More To Weigh Less concept because Im not going to lie. I enjoy food but I do want m weight loss to be a healthy weightloss as Ive dropped over 50lbs in 3 months in the past and was constantly sick doing it. Never again!

Anyways, from what I understand in order to succeed in losing weight a deficit must be created. Whether its from less food, more exercise or both. Correct?

I am currently eating my BMR of 1656 (which by the way MFP has at 1560) and eating back only half of the cals I burn. I have mfp set to lose 1lb per week which results in me eating at my BMR so any exercise I include I concider that a bonus deficit as it makes my deficit larger (I have 60lbs to lose).

Ive been reading up on the scooby workout calc and got these stats:

My BMR is 1656.
    My TDEE at lightly active (sedentary job but ALOT of walking and cleaning...I am a clean freak) is 2278
    15% cut 1936 cals.

Thats only a 342 daily deifict or .68lb loss per week?!

But if I exercise more (5 days a week)
    My BMR IS 1656
    MY TDEE at mod active is 2568
    15% cut 2182

Thats only a 386 daily deficit?

This is where I am concerned and confused! Does the 2182 cut include the exercise in the deficit (telling me to eat 386 calories less but burn 500 calories more in exrecise) for a total deficit of 886?

With this method is the whole eat 500 less and burn 500 more even included?

If your cut value is 2182 then just eat 2182 everyday, even on workout days. You only have to worry if your workout takes you below your BMR.

For example Daily calories 2182 - 600 (your workout calories) = 1582 (that's below your BMR of 1656)
    So you would need to eat : 2182 plus a extra 74 calories to net your BMR. 2182-600+74= 1656 Make sense?
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello!

1. Can you post your stats (if your OK with it, i just want to double check the numbers.

2. The TDEE - 15% includes exercise calories so you do not need to eat them back. You deficit would be roughly 386. You can also test at TDEE -20%, but TDEE -15% is generally the recommended start point. I personally do TDEE -20%, but I have a large gap between my TDEE and my BMR.

Remember, this is not a fast weight loss/fad diet thing, but a steady process, that can be maintained for the rest of your life. Most of us are here because of yo yo fast diets, fast weight loss, that worked in the short term but was not sustainable.

If you go with a TDEE -20% cut (around 520 calories), you will need to eat back calories so you are not below your BMR.

This means that if you target is 2054 (TDEE -20% at 5 days a week) and you burn 500 calories (most people overestimate their calorie burn) that would put you at 1554 caloires NET for the day. That is below your BMR, so you would need to eat back your excess calories to meet your goal :

2054 - 500 = 1554

1656 -1554 = 102

So in the end you would need to eat back 102 calories to meet your BMR.

Personally if my gap was that small I would do TDEE -15%.

If you going for faster weight loss, you could step up your workouts, and shoot for very active. You can build a bigger deficit that way, but can be hard to maintain.
  • kooshajan
    No worries!

5ft3
    193lbs (put on 7lbs after quitting smoking)
    28 years old
    Desk job but walk/move a lot. At home I'm typically moving around a lot cleaning or chasing after my daughter.

I do want to start exercising regularly including 25 mins of Lifht circuit training 7x a week (30 day shred) and biking
    a total of 100 mins per day mon-fri.
  • kooshajan
    So than the daily deficit would literally be only around 350 cals, correct?
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Ok so running your numbers through the Scooby calc I get:

BMR 1607
    TDEE 2491
    TDEE - 15% - 2118

I set this for Moderate activity (3-5 hours of moderate exercise a week). Although if you are doing 100 minutes of exercise you may be in the next category up.

So yes your deficit will be around 370 or so. Its not bad its .8lbs a week.