I don't get it...

I have been reading all these posts and topics about TDEE and BMR and how much I am supposed to eat and I am absolutely baffled. I don't know why, but for some reason I just don't understand it.

When I started using MFP I was doing the "Net 1200" thing and that got the first 1/3 of my weight loss goal taken care of. Now for the last month I have been lose two, gain two, lose two, gain two, and it's really irritating. This all started after I upped the intensity of my workouts, I got some of the Jillian Michaels DVDs and have been doing those every day.

I am currently set up for the "Lose 1lb per week", which I would really love to be doing, and it tells me to "Net 1520". I have it set for sedentary and no exercise.

I eat back my exercise calories, and I also have a Fitbit that credits me with Calories from my daily activity level. I usually am right around Net 1520.

This morning was another weigh-in and I was down .6 pounds. I don't know if it's real or if I will just be back up again next week.

What should I be doing here? Is everything above wrong???? bleh.

Also here are my current stats, idk if any of this will help you to help me to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I wouldn't be so frustrated if I was at least losing inches but everything seems to be at a stand-still and I just feel REALLY down about it.

Current:
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 200.8
Waist: 35"
Hips: 43"
Bicep: 13.5"

I rotate my workouts between Step Aerobics class, JM 30DS, JM Killer Buns and Thighs, and JM Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism. Also, Kayaking and walking/jogging.

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Have you been to the scooby calculator? I think you are probably netting under BMR. Most if us do a custom calorie goal based on the scooby calculator of TDEE -15% and then do not eat back our exercise calories. Alternately, you can set your base calories to BMR and then eat back all your exercise calories, but that's the very lowest you want to go. Also its, very important to choose your correct activity level. Based on your workouts, I would seat you are moderately active according to the Scoobysite, active according to MFP. If you don't chose the correct activity level, you will be continuing to undereat, which is what got us in this mess in the first place. I hope that clears things up a little bit. :)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello,

I ran your numbers through Scooby:

BMR - 1688
    TDEE - 2617
    TDEE - 15 % - 2224

So for this, you generally want to start shooting for 2224 calories a day. This includes your exercise calories so you dont have to eat them back.

If you are burning 500 caloried during a workout you would be netting roughly 1724, so you not eating to far under.

Just hit your 2224 calories per day for 6-8 weeks, and see how your body responds. From there you make changes if needed.

Thanks!
  • tbolashana
    tbolashana Posts: 2,707 Member
    i just realized i have been under eating. and it sounds like that is exactly what u are doing.

you have to read the sticky in this group. (EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS--WHAT IS BMR AND TDEE?) it gives you GREAT INFO and helps you understand what that stuff is. i wish i read this 1 month ago when i was doing insanity and only eating 1200. anyway.... i digress.

you sound very active and you should definitely not put that you are sedentary with little or no exercise because u are definitely not. it sounds crazy to say EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS, but hey give it a try. u r def going to like eating more :laugh: and since u are going up and down just try and see what happens. maybe this will be the key to ur yo-yoing scale.

good luck and keep up the FANTASTIC WORK!
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Have you been to the scooby calculator? I think you are probably netting under BMR. Most if us do a custom calorie goal based on the scooby calculator of TDEE -15% and then do not eat back our exercise calories. Alternately, you can set your base calories to BMR and then eat back all your exercise calories, but that's the very lowest you want to go. Also its, very important to choose your correct activity level. Based on your workouts, I would seat you are moderately active according to the Scoobysite, active according to MFP. If you don't chose the correct activity level, you will be continuing to undereat, which is what got us in this mess in the first place. I hope that clears things up a little bit. :)

I was hoping that the calories that I ate back from the Fitbit would adjust for my activity level, and let that add the extra instead of having MFP do it.

So, if I set my Net Calories to this 1688 per day, and eat back the exercise calories and my activity calories from Fitbit steps, I would still lose weight?
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    It sounds to me like you should try to read the metabolism reset board. I don't think you are eating enough period. If you go to the scooby workshop to get your BMR and TDEE, I can help you figure what you should be eating.
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member

I was hoping that the calories that I ate back from the Fitbit would adjust for my activity level, and let that add the extra instead of having MFP do it.

So, if I set my Net Calories to this 1688 per day, and eat back the exercise calories and my activity calories from Fitbit steps, I would still lose weight?

Set your calories to TDEE - 15 % - 2224 . Don't eat back your exercise calories and make sure you are netting at least 1688. You want to always make sure your net is 1688 or more. If your net falls below 1688 than eat back some exercise calories. If you notice you are constantly having to eat back calories to net your BMR, you will want to change your information on the scooby site and up the amount of exercise you are doing to get new numbers.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Thank you all, you've cleared away some of the fog! I'm going to try this out, something has to work to break the plateau and if it's eating MORE then why not!! :happy: