Reduced fat mayo: blasphemy

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
Seriously, why would they make sush a thing? Had already put it on my food before seeing the label (from work fridge). Got sad when I read the label. Oh well. Will attemot to make homemade again at some point.

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    LOL I think all mayo is a crime against nature personally. Homemade was even worse than store-bought.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I buy mayo next, what exactly should I look for? What makes it primal?
  • sapalee
    Options
    When I buy mayo next, what exactly should I look for? What makes it primal?

Eh, I don't really know. I haven't done away with it my house because my husband would probably leave me, lol. The home made recipe on theclothesmakethegirl.com was just lemon juice, eggs, and olive oil. All allowed, it tasted great but we didn't whip it correctly to get the right texture. I think all the store brands still use canola as a primary oil... I would think the fewer ingredients the better.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    make your own - seriously, seriously easy and soooooo yummy...

I follow this recipe with one slight change - I sub 1/4 of a cup of avocado oil for 1/4 of a cup of Olive Oil

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

I make sure everything is room temp and I use farm fresh egg...I do it up in my blender and it is yummy....

I dont' use mayo every week so when i do make up a batch I try and plan meals that encorporate mayo that week...either that or i eat a lot of canned tuna with mayo that week :)
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Awesome....I'm gonna try that this weekend! Thanks!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl/Well Fed also. Store bought mayo freaks me out now.
  • sapalee
    Options
    I use the recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl/Well Fed also. Store bought mayo freaks me out now.

Right? I love her site. Def want to try it again. My hubby and I were making it together and using a whisk instead of a processor... so, yeah, didn't work so great. It was still fine for mixing in things though.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Right? I love her site. Def want to try it again. My hubby and I were making it together and using a whisk instead of a processor... so, yeah, didn't work so great. It was still fine for mixing in things though.

Definately need a blender or a processor that is going to whip it fast...

i found doing the recipe straight it was a bit on the lemony side - almost like an aoli type sauce...but subbing some avocado oil it tempered the lemony taste.