Anybody do this through diet alone?

mphlab
mphlab Posts: 187 Member
Hi
I get that many of the EM2WL people are big exercisers. I am handicapped and can barely walk (was in a wheelchair 2 years ago so grateful for what I can do now!) Anybody else out there on EM2WL that cannot or does exercise for whatever reason? I have lost 29 pounds since January and have at least 52 more pounds to lose. If I can do it anyone can! Anybody, especially those 40+ who are doing this through calories alone, wanna be friends? Thanks - Lynn.

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    I'm doing the reset but cannot lift anything heavier than 10lbs due to pinched nerves in my neck. People have told me if I keep at it, I can increase. But not when dealing w/ pinched nerves. So since they say during reset to cut back on cardio, I walk 3xs a wk. that's it. Only my 12th day in so, not sure if it'll work or not. Up 2.5lbs-not sweatin it. Tough to get all this healthy food in though!
  • mphlab
    With being old enough (44) and sedentary, my goal per day isn't really high - around 1650. I felt like I could eat your goal yesterday!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    You've done really well to lose 29lbs since Jan!! well done! & it's great you want to eat healthily and enough to fuel your body : )

Weight is about what you eat. Exercise is about fitness. So I don't see why it shouldn't work for you with little exercise.

Maybe you could do upper body workouts or gentle yoga/stretching...
  • mphlab
    I had a stroke ( at 42) so my left arm is paralyzed - my leg moves - but very big movements not controlled very much - so when you see those wheelchair folks with great upperbody strength who play wheelchair basketball or other athletic things - that is so not me - ha ha. Getting down on the ground is not very appealing because getting back up is such a struggle. I tried exercises for wheelchair bound people but being so out of balance, it is hard to do them one sided.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    I don't have any advice to share but I have a whole bunch of - you can do it - support to give :happy: For what it's worth.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Hey I just turned 44 Sunday, so we're the same age! Can u do water aerobics? I used to do them, don't live close enough to them anymore.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Please feel free to add me as a friend! I'd love to support you and have you along for the ride, as well. I"m 42, and currently I am working toward being consistant at exercise. I'd love to collaborate on the eating side of things, though - I love cooking and eating healthy foods (of course, with the occasional yummy treat. :) )

- Heidi
  • mibrewer413
    mibrewer413 Posts: 78 Member
    Hi, I am 44 years old and have lost 15 pounds mostly from diet alone because I have chronic pain issues due to fibromyalgia and also have bad knees. I am also an RN so I understand what you have gone through. You can lose weight with diet alone, it may take longer. You have already done so well by losing 29 pounds! Strength training would tone you but under your circumstances, it may not be realistic. May I ask how you move about? Are you still w/c bound or do you walk unassisted or with a walker? What about the bike machine, is that an isolated enough movement for your legs? Maybe you can get with a physical therapist to help you. Feel free to add me for support to but you are doing good!!
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Hi! I work with my grandma a little. We do isometric exercises.

There are so many benefits to working what we can of our bodies, they improve other systems in our bodies such as hormones, mood, etc. The larger the muscle the more influence such as squats working legs.
    Im not sure what range of motion you are capable, but just working a little bit 2-3 times a week can work wonders for the body in unseen ways (not just for burning calories!)

www.livestrong.com/article/358232-isometric-exercises-for-disabled-people/
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    I just love all this support I am reading :) this group is fantastic !!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    I just love all this support I am reading :) this group is fantastic !!!

This!!

Also, I would love to have you as a friend...I believe that you can lose with this even without exercise...As long as we don't go OVER our TDEE it is possible...I am 37 (close to 40) and have not been exercising like I was but am hoping to real soon....For now though I am trying to walk when possible and play with my active 3yr old as well...I congratulate you for losing 29lbs since January...I have been on here since then as well and have barely lost 5lbs...So you seem to be doing Amazing!! Best of luck and this group is the best support group ever!! WE CAN DO THIS!!! :)
  • mphlab
    Hi
    I walk with a cane. At first it was a wheelchair. I tried both the recumbent bike and the elliptical machine with my physical therapist. It was not totally undoable but annoying & painful enough to discourage me. I could last about 5 minutes on each because I am out of shape. And the discomfort was too much.

Thanks for the link- I will check them out.

Thanks guys - just in the last few days people that I have not seen have noticed the loss and you are all so encouraging! I can do this!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    I got to goal through calories alone but am now active.