Finished stage 1- less than thrilled

Options
hammycakes
hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
Ok, first let me say that I know the goal of the program is to build strength, and in that regard, things have gone great! My body is so much stronger than I knew it was.
However, the vain side of me would really like to SEE the results! I can definitely feel them, but I wish they were visible to everyone else.

So, here are my stats:

Workout A
Squats: 45lb bar> 115lbs
Push Up: 15 regular, 15 knees> 3 sets T push ups
Seated Row: 50lbs>90lbs
Step Ups on reebok step w/15lbs (each hand)> 16" step with 25lbs (each hand)
Jacknife 2 sets 12> 3 sets 15 with good form

Workout B
Deadlift 65 lbs> 115 lbs
Shoulder Press 12lbs>25lbs each hand
lat pulldowns 40lbs> 90 lbs
lunge 20lbs (each hand)> 65lbs barbell
swissball crunch: bodyweight> 25 lb plate

I did take two one week breaks during stage 1- one because I had bronchitis that morphed into pneumonia, and the second because I went on a beach weekend and when I returned, my workout buddy had an injury so I waited til she was recovered.

I started the program at 185 lbs. Now I weigh 191 ( saw 195 on the scale twice! ) My measurements have stayed the same, except I've actually gained an inch each in my hips and waist. :angry:
When I started the program, I was eating about 1550+ exercise cals, but upped my cals to 1700-2000 based on the book's BMR/TDEE to calculations because I was SO tired and hungry at first.. I love the program and have already started stage 2, and plan on finishing if all things go well, but dang, I need some lbs to GO!
I was able to add my cardio back ( Zumba 3x per week) after my body adjusted, and my partner and I have been throwing some intervals in if we have time, but I still have 40 lbs to lose.. :sad: ok whining over..Any advice would be welcomed.
BTW, I'm 37, 5'6".. goal weight of 150ish and 25% body fat.

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    That's amazing

you said your goal was strength and WOW.. that has really increased!!

way to go!!

Hope you took pictures before you started.. if not take some now and compare after each stage..
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think you just described my results. Gained a lot in strength, gained an inch in my waist, gained 7 lbs, but I lost .7% body fat. Have you rechecked your BF%? Did you take before & after pics? I keep telling myself that my inches haven't changed, but I'm more lifted and less dimply. Haven't taken a pic of my backside though.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should be doing that much zumba with your lifting. Your body needs time to recover on your rest days if you are lifting as heavily as you should be. Also, strength training takes more like 3-6 months to see any visible results. I'm only now seeing muscle definition and it's been almost 3 months (I'm halfway through stage 3). Your body is probably holding onto water and calories if you're doing that much working out.

Also if you were eating fewer calories and have upped them, it will take your body 2-4 weeks to balance out the calorie increase, depending on how long you were eating at BMR for. Definitely eat more while you're lifting!!!!!

eta - - - props on the squats and deadlifts I've been at this for almost 3 stages and still can't go past 100 lbs!!!
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have no advice but I'm seriously in awe of how much you can lift!!! Great job :)
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I did take some before pics. I'm going to try and do some afters this morning.

As far as the cardio goes- I admit, I'm a bit of a Zumbaholic.. I just like to go because it's fun, and I don't consider it "real" cardio because there are so many options to lower your exertion rate. I used to go 4 days a week but I've cut back a good bit, 3 being the max weekly.

I'm just wondering if my metabolism is messed up, because by all the numbers, I should be losing on this amount of calories.

Thanks for the props!

On to Stage 2- I did workout 2B yesterday and all the tiny muscles are so sore today!
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My stats are similar to yours (5'7", 188 lbs). I am currently on stage 3 and I have lost about 5 lbs. When doing this program I have to be very careful which days I take measurement/weigh in. I once weighed in the day after a workout to see a 4 lb gain...water weight as the muscles replenish glycogen. I do NROLW on MWF and found it best to weigh in on Monday mornings because it gives my body 2-3 days to let go of the extra water.