Bulgarian split squat with barbell

Options
I've topped out with my 25 pound plates for the Bulgarian split squats. I don't think I can logistically hold two plates to my chest at once in order to increase weight. Do I use a barbell now? Will this affect anything? (I'm wondering if my arms won't get the workout they should since they're not being used as much with a barbell vs. holding plates at my chest...)

I do have adjustable dumbbells. Would it be better to increase the weights on them and use them instead of the barbell?

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I would choose the DBs by my side instead of the barbell-I'll not feel comfortable with a bar on my back doing Bulgarian split squats. Also, holding DBs will improve your grip strength.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, use DBs.
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You might also try heavier kettle balls, if you have access to any.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I do them with a 35# plate held in front of my chest, but I need to increase, so I plan to hold 2 25# weight plates - 1 in each hand.
  • catherinergrunden
    catherinergrunden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I realized after the fact that I'm done with stage 2 :) But it's good for future reference!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I hate holding the plates, so I've been using dumbbells for these the whole time.