Being Short & The Public

Options
tinabell153
tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
I have been told my entire life I look younger than I am. Everyone says I will love it when I'm older, but honestly... I keep getting older but since I'm only 5'0" people stare at me in public and comment on how I only look like I'm 12.

I get asked if I need a kids menu ALL the time and people stare at me at the grocery store and at restaurants when I get out my credit card to pay and especially when I order an alcoholic beverage.

Anyone else go through this? It's frustrating not being able to go out and do things without being stared at and told I look so young.

Replies

• charlottey22
    charlottey22 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    tell me about it! i never had it bad like you, the only time i got kinda annoyed was when i was in a shop buying a dvd which was a 15 certificate got asked for ID for it (im 22 btw), i thought ok thats fine..... the thing that got me was my fiance (whos 21, not particulary tall himself looks younger than me) was buying an 18 rated dvd and didn't get ID'd - same person served him! we laughed about it when i got out the shop tho x
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Tina, I was where you are. I had the same things happen to me. I also had so many folks tell me that one day I would appreciate it - and that just did not compute to me. No one understood how frustrating this i was.

Well, now at 55, I am thrilled - just as I was always told. You can judge for yourself how old I look but I usually get that I look at least 10 years younger - and at this age that is a gift! I am sure that at 23 this is hard to understand as both ages seem so old. But, trust me, when everyone around you is your age but you look so much younger it does become quite a blessing.

Last point - When my younger sister and I would go to clubs - at your age - I would always get carded, she would always get in. These days, the rule still applies - only it is flipped in my favor.

You wil live through this. I know it is a challenge. But the gifts on the other end are fantastic, especially if you keep up your health and fitness.

Enjoy your life!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Tina, I was where you are. I had the same things happen to me. I also had so many folks tell me that one day I would appreciate it - and that just did not compute to me. No one understood how frustrating this i was.

Well, now at 55, I am thrilled - just as I was always told. You can judge for yourself how old I look but I usually get that I look at least 10 years younger - and at this age that is a gift! I am sure that at 23 this is hard to understand as both ages seem so old. But, trust me, when everyone around you is your age but you look so much younger it does become quite a blessing.

Last point - When my younger sister and I would go to clubs - at your age - I would always get carded, she would always get in. These days, the rule still applies - only it is flipped in my favor.

You wil live through this. I know it is a challenge. But the gifts on the other end are fantastic, especially if you keep up your health and fitness.

Enjoy your life!

I really appreciate this response! I guess I just need to realize it is a gift and to be thankful. I try to ignore it most of the time, but it really just gets to me on occasion. I just would like to look my age for once. You're right though, I need to just enjoy life!

Thank you for the positive outlook!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Been there! I remember someone telling me "Oh, honey - you'll look like you're fourteen right up until the day that you look like you're fifty and wake up with wrinkles." I'm not really sure which part of that was supposed to be encouraging! I would like to look like I'm in my twenties and thirties at some point in my life :).
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 25 years old. People generally think I'm a "young adult" rather than a fully grown woman! I get ID'd for alcohol still - I'm from the UK, so the legal age is 18! I've been legal for 7 years!

I'm quite looking forward to looking my age to be honest...
  • RainySeattle
    RainySeattle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have been dealing with the same stuff all my life. I'm 4'11" and 26 years old and I'm still getting carded. I have a gray streak in my hair for pities sake...My mom got the same treatment when she was younger, and she still does to some extent. People think she's in her 40's. She's 51 years old and 5'3" I think.