Picking an exercise plan

Hey Everyone!

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and would love some help! I'm a very out of shape lady who has always hated exercise. I was always pretty uncoordinated as a kid, always the chubby kid, and so now at 23 I'm trying to get over that. I've found I like walking, I try on the weekend to walk at least 50 blocks, and during the week I often avoid taking the subway and just walk as much as I can, but I don't think it's enough anymore.

I hear of so many different exercise plans: NROLFW (or whatever it is), insanity, p90x, jillian michaels, c25k, and it goes on and on!

Can someone here tell me what's a good one for a beginner but who is looking for actual results? I'm 195lbs (5, 6) or so, and I have some mild knee problems, but otherwise I'm ready to go. I don't have any free weights or access to a gym (I'm unemployed right now so I can't go off purchasing these things), I have a yoga mat, a small studio apt, and the island of manhattan as my workout space.

I'm willing to spend a little bit of money at the moment because I know it's important, but I'd rather not if I can. Just until I get a job and then I definitely want to join the Y or something and would be willing to invest in more work out stuffs.

Agh feeling overwhelmed. I am worried I'll spend a lot of money on something and then I won't do it or it'll be too hard. Anyone have advice or thoughts? Thank you so much!!

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I think you will get results from all of these programs and they are all okay for beginners.

New Rules of Lifting is a good one because you will see results fast (maybe not on the scale but your pant size will shrink, I lost a pant size in the first month).

Heavy weights with low reps gets you quick results and your body will look fantastic.

Jillian Michael's 30 day shred is another good beginner workout. I lost many inches starting out with that after my first baby (17 inches in 20 days).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member

New Rules of Lifting is a good one because you will see results fast (maybe not on the scale but your pant size will shrink, I lost a pant size in the first month).

Heavy weights with low reps gets you quick results and your body will look fantastic.

I would not recommend these where the OP admits to having mild knee problems - consulting with a physician would be important before starting something like these...
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    I wish I could do weights but I have no access to them right now. :(

I looked into the Jillian Michaels one and it looks super affordable if I download it on my computer from amazon and from what I can tell you only need two free light weights... which I think I might be able to borrow from my folks this weekend. ok. I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Has anyone else done Jillian Michael's or has other thoughts?
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    i too have done JM 30 day shred and was going to recommend it to you as a nice beginner workout. I think most people see inches lost and it really builds your stamina and endurance for harder work outs in the future. The 30DS has 3 levels and imo the 3rd level can be a little tough on the knees with a few moves BUT i always just modified them to work for me or would swap them out entirely for moves from the other levels.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I have also done 30 DS and it's a good starter workout. Make sure you are using proper form for lunches and squats or your knees will bother you. Also start of slower than doing it every day. Try 2 days a week and work your way up. I could only do the workout every other day because it felt like too much doing it every day.

Another good workout is butt bible, which is an at home workout that you can do without any weights and view free on youtube. There are upper and lower workouts. It's hard, but the first workouts are about 20 min long and I had much better results with it than 30DS.

Couch to 5K is another good cardio program for beginners. You can download the app/music from iTunes or just look up the progam online.
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 113 Member
    As far as not having money for weights, I've heard someone mention that she used milk jugs for awhile when she got started. You can fill them up for the right amount of weight for you.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    Thanks everyone! Super helpful! I just bought JM30 day shred level one on amazon for like 2 bucks (although then of course I saw it was on youtube for free :P)

I just tried it out. since I don't have weights yet I just did all the motions they were doing but without holding anything. OH MY GOD. my body is so sore (but in a good way).I could feel the stress on my bad knee, but nothing super painful. When I corrected my posture it wasn't really an issue. I don't think my body can handle it everyday, but your suggestion of starting with every other day ladyace is a great one! I'm totally going to try that. Also Daphne, that sounds awesome :) Right now the workouts seem hard enough without the weights, but I think once I'm a few days in I'll try the milk jug thing, or maybe some water bottles, or I could maybe just borrow some old weights from my parents. I bet they have some in their basement.

Thanks so much for the support and suggestions! Best community ever.
  • sheeler301
    sheeler301 Posts: 16 Member
    I've gotten results from 30DS, it was pretty cheap I spent like $9.00 on the DVD and $5-6.00 on the three pound weights. Some of the exercises do make my knees ache and I didn't have knee problems, but I follow the more advanced girl so if you follow the beginer girl in the video you probably wouldn't have any problems. I'm 5'6" and when I started 30DS I was 175 lbs. and I'm down to 169 lbs. but I'm leaner and fit in cloths much better I haven't done my measurments since I completed the entire 30DS but I did drop inches in the waist, hips and I can see muscles in my arms better. It has motivated me to start going to the gym. I also do alot of walking/running (more walking than running) I'm no expert but the DVD's work for me b/c I can do it at home and very little eqpt. I started my healthy journey at 186lbs. and now down to 169 and loving the results and looking for more bot scale and NVS!!!!!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Once you get into Jillian you will be HOOKED! I own loads of hers now because I like her style of working out :)

And the nice big inch loss is always a bonus too!

The only thing you need for any of them are dumbells so when you get a chance (perhaps 2nd hand) you could look into getting some, but until then anything will work instead - water bottles, tins of food, anything you can grip and throw about a bit!!!
  • CamyLoo
    CamyLoo Posts: 39 Member
    I also have been looking for a good workout for beginners. I'm 56 years young and haven't exercised in quite a while. Do you think the Jillian 30ds would be to hard for me? Also, if not, how many calories do you burn on the first level?

Thanks in advance. This group is so great and helpful. I'm so glad I found it.
  • CamyLoo
    I'm bumping hoping to get an answer to my question.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I think 30DS can work for anyone. I burned anywhere from 150-300 calories in the 25 min.
  • CamyLoo
    Thanks
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    I also have been looking for a good workout for beginners. I'm 56 years young and haven't exercised in quite a while. Do you think the Jillian 30ds would be to hard for me? Also, if not, how many calories do you burn on the first level?

I'm on Day 4 of Level 1. I think it is reasonable for most beginners and effective. Just modify as needed and take a rest day when needed. I burn about 230 calories in the workout overall. Your burn will vary depending on your weight and intensity at which you do the moves. The biggest thing to me is to make sure you have proper form to avoid injuries.
  • elodea
    elodea Posts: 19 Member
    I just started the 30DS yesterday on Level 1 and boy was that a workout for me. By the second round of cardio I couldn't get my feet off the floor - but at least kept my arms going :). I burned 220 calories according to my HRM. I'm wondering though if I should do this everyday for 30 days? I don't think I actually can - what do people do? Can I alternate days with my elliptical workout? Suggestions? Definitely worth doing though!
  • jen2swt
    jen2swt Posts: 37 Member
    You can also use canned goods for weights too ;)
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Another option is Netflix if you have that available to you. There are plenty of weights, Pilates, dance, etc. type that are FREE to watch. Good Luck!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    I just started the 30DS yesterday on Level 1 and boy was that a workout for me. By the second round of cardio I couldn't get my feet off the floor - but at least kept my arms going :). I burned 220 calories according to my HRM. I'm wondering though if I should do this everyday for 30 days? I don't think I actually can - what do people do? Can I alternate days with my elliptical workout? Suggestions? Definitely worth doing though!

It is probably best to alternate with some cardio like walking or elliptical.

Keep an eye out at garage sales or Craigslist for cheap weights.

I have seen some free, bodyweight videos online. You really don't need any equipment but maybe a mat for those.

Walking really is great exercise and I know some people who have lost weight with walking being their only exercise.

I have found, as my muscles get stronger my knees hurt a little less. I also know that for some people, weight loss helps their knees. If you ever feel up to running C25K is a great program. Just make sure you have good shoes.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    I'm 48 yo and did the 30 DS in May. I did it M-Sat and took Sunday's off and walked our dogs 3 miles instead. Saturdays I added Bob Harpers kettlebell workout after the 30 DS. I can see definition in my arms, back and the beginnig of muscles in my abs.
    Now I'm doing Jillian's killer buns and thighs and am on day 5-6. It does make me sweat! I don't have knee problems but do some of the modified moves just in case - I'm not young anymore!

I do like her DVD's and it feels good to be adding some strengh training. Helps my sluggish metabolism :)
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member

I am 57 years old and am doing dumbbells 3 days a week and elliptical 2 days, but am thinking about a JM DVD to do when I don't feel like actually doing my weights. Be sure an get plenty of protein once you start your exercise because you will need it to help maintain and build muscle.