sodium intake patterns

juliebeannn
juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
this might be a "no duh!" comment but, i'm finding a direct correlation between how good/crappy i feel and my sodium intake. i eat out a lot so, i tend to eat a lot of high sodium foods. when i do cook, i cook a lot of korean food, which i didn't realize until recently is pretty high in sodium, also. i'm finding after i have a particularly high sodium day (like double the recommended amount :embarassed: i know so bad), i feel like garbage for the next two days and the scale immediately shoots up. once i lower my sodium intake, i feel so muchhh better.

i recently changed my workout schedule to be at 5:30am instead of the evenings, so i could cook more often and not eat out as much. but i'm finding that even on a good day, i'm over the recommended amount of sodium. i know that cooking at home more will help with keeping the sodium down, but any other tips?

thanks!!

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head already. Avoid processed foods and stick to whole, natural foods. I'm not saying you have to buy organic or anything, but I find the less ingredients something has the less salt. Also, I barely add salt to anything. Sometimes when I'm making a dinner that serves multiple people I'll add about 1/4 tsp of salt to the entire recipe.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head already. Avoid processed foods and stick to whole, natural foods. I'm not saying you have to buy organic or anything, but I find the less ingredients something has the less salt. Also, I barely add salt to anything. Sometimes when I'm making a dinner that serves multiple people I'll add about 1/4 tsp of salt to the entire recipe.

Yup...think 'one ingredient foods'. I also try to never add salt to my cooking...I figure people will always add it at the table anyways, so why bother? :wink:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I have set my sodium level to 2000 and most of the days I don't even hit that level. I barely eat out though and I don't eat processed food either. That makes a big difference, as you already said.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    i guess i'm going to limit my korean food intake to once or twice a week.

the more i read about korean food, the more shocked i am. it's always touted as super healthy, low cal, low fat food, but no one tells you that everything has ridiculous amount of sodium. everything is either marinated in soy sauce, brined or has soybean or red pepper paste in it (which is high in sodium as is).

i just read this article that said that "The Korean population has one of the highest 24-h urinary sodium excretions in the world". WHO KNEW?!?!?!
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    I was just reviewing my sodium intake last night and discovered that it's always highest on my days off work. Not shocking, I guess. Weekends are when I tend to splurge the most on more processed foods or going out to eat.
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    I dont eat out often but I still have problem staying under my 2500 sodium goal. =(

I have been sick so I didnt care much yesterday but I prepared a lipton soup and my sodium shot up by 3k >_<