For all the runners...

irunsf85
irunsf85 Posts: 74 Member
How heavy do you guys lift? And also, for all the ladies, are any of you doing NROLFW?

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    I got into running about 6 weeks ago...currently one day a week i run 6.5kms and 1 day a week 10kms....after the 10km run i then do body pump and body balance and one other day per week i do pump and then a 30 mins PT session of weights....(altho tonight ill do RPM as well as time allows lol) im still building up so find it hard to run if i work out the day before....but i am just reading NROLFW at the moment...i might even give up one pump class for it and also add one other day to do NROLFW it would be nice to add a 3rd day in but i think my running would suffer (and thats a big focus for me at the moment)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    I run 4x a week, one 8-13km, two 6km and one hill training run - around 4-5km for that one...I lift 3 times a week, alternating upper and lower body workouts - have a very nice set of dumbells and a bench at home, so no NROLFW for me...

Lower body would be squats, lunges, deadlifts and whatever one calls the calves rise one - 3 sets, 8-10 reps with between 30 and 45 lbs in each hand... Oh, and at least two different sets of abs too....30-40 of each

Upper body covers all the the basics too biceps, triceps shoulders and back - although bench presses are getting iffy with dumbells and no spotter...all with between 17.5-30lbs per hand....and two sets of abs...
    One day of the week is a run and upper body day, and I take one day off completely...

Am training for a faster 10km race - if I don't have a specific race to train for, I might skip one run (no hill training!!:drinker: :laugh: )
    The above is an ideal week when life does not get in the way....
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I started running 6 months ago with the C25K plan. I began stage 1 of NROL4W 6 weeks ago and just completed it this week. I am currently on my rest week and will begin stage 2 this weekend.
    I actually cut back on cardio in order to do the heavy lifting.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Before I started NRLW4W I was running 4x a week. Once I got to stage 2, I had to stop because my legs were so tired. Now I am starting stage 5 and have been able to add the runs back in. Here's my schedule:

Su: Lift
    M: Intervals or 2.25 mile jog (including wu/cd)
    Tu: Lift
    W: Jog (no more than 2.5)
    Th: Lift
    Fri: Jog or intervals
    Sa: Plyometrics or rest

You have to decide - are you a runner who lifts or a lifter who runs and let that dictate what is most important. I see myself as a lifter who runs, so if my lifts start to suffer, I'll cut back on the running. I worked hard to become a jogger (I completed C25K last year) and I don't want to give that up.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    I lift twice a week, but it's more endurance-style lifting along with plyo & other stuff that will strengthen the muscles I need to become a better runner. I have no hopes of ever becoming an elite runner or even being competitive really, I just want to be BETTER. And in order to do that, I've focused my strength training with that in mind.

There's nothing wrong with lifting heavy & being a runner, just know that bulk/strength-style lifting isn't going help you be a better distance runner as much as endurance lifting will. If you're not running terribly long distances then it's a moot point...lift on!
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    I've recently joined a running club and we go for a 6 mile (ish) run twice a week. I also like to get another run in over the weekend. I would love to try NROLFW but I can't afford a gym membership just now and Im not sure I'd benefit doing it at home. Have recently bought Insanity and will be giving that ago in the very near future xx
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    You have to decide - are you a runner who lifts or a lifter who runs and let that dictate what is most important.
    ^^^^
    THIS. I have been both...to answer the original question "how heavy do you lift," assuming you are a "lifter who runs," lift as heavy as you can. I spent all last year focusing on lifting & at one point I was benching 135 & squatting a little more than that, maybe 145? I was deadlifting close to 300 lbs & my leg presses were about 300 as well. It was AWESOME. I'm thankful for all that hard work I did because even though I still have fat to lose, I have some great muscle definition.

Right now I'm a runner who lifts because I have a half marathon in my sights this fall. After that I plan to get back into some serious lifting over the winter.
  • irunsf85
    irunsf85 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm definitely a runner who lifts. Hoping to increase strength, maintain muscle, and burn some fat. How many reps do you endurance lifters do? 10?