Shins, oh dear Lord, the shins

Options
aimeeinohio
aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
OK I am really having a rough time here. My shins are KILLING ME!

They've been sore since I started, which I kind of expected for a few reasons- Im out of shape, Im over weight, and I run on asphalt. They've been sore (sometimes have some calf soreness, too), but tolerable. Until Monday.

Monday I moved on to w2d1. I could not make it through the entire thing. After about 15 minutes, I came home. I couldn't get my breath, my legs weren't cooperating, and it was hotter than you-know-what. The rest of the day Monday and yesterday I my shins were literally in PAIN, not just sore. And the right side worse than the left.

I've got good shoes, although I do need to replace them, and I'm going to the running store next weekend to do so. Going to get evaluated and fitted, and hopefully get some that will last me a longer time (I just got my current pair in February and replaced the insoles in April).

I've not done any walking or running the last 2 days. I wanted to run tonight but think I will wait till tomorrow morning, and I think I will be repeating w1d3 rather than trying w2d1 again.

How long does the shin pain last?!? AGH!

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're suffering from shin splints. You are probably going to want to give yourself at least a few days before you try running again. Until then, ice may help if they are still hurting. The reps at the running store should be able to find you some shoes with good shock absorption. Also, take a look at your form and ask yourself if you could improve it... With the right running form, more emphasis is on your quad muscles than your calves.

And if it's too hot to run... don't run!! It can wait another day!
  • aimeeinohio
    Options
    Im sure I could improve my form- I really have no idea what Im doing LOL

Think tomorrow is too soon to try again? My friends daughter said ice and put BioFreeze on before I go out. Then ice when I come back.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I would listen to lobster and and take a few days off. You do not want to over do it. In fact, you should not be pushing through actual pain.

An example: My husbands feet were bothering him. He is very althletic but started running only 5 months ago. He didn't listen to his feet. He increased his mileage to fast. Now, we have paid for races he cannot run due to plantar faciatis. No running for atleast 6 weeks.

A few days off is much better than months! Here is a link about shin splints you might find helpful!

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints

Happy running!
  • aimeeinohio
    Options
  • souper71
    souper71 Posts: 21
    Options
    Good luck. Im having shin issues as well but mine isnt constant and its more muscular. I agree with everyone else. Your making huge strides just starting this program. Dont push it so you wont enjoy it. Take care of that body. Its the reason were doing this in the first place. :) Cheers!!!
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    Get out of my life!!!! lol I almost died on w1d1 (bad shoes) got better shoes and did AMAZING the rest of week1 for week2 got even better shoes (the others were a size too small) and while they feel amazing on my feet and they dont give me issues wk2d1 has killed my shins :( I ran finished it but only because my amazing workout buddy gave me the support I needed but am i paying for it now! and I tried to do a small run last night just because I do enjoy a brief jog but I couldnt even go 15 min :(

Im seeing my Dr tomorrow (reasons other than the shins) and Im gonna ask him for advice for things I can improve to avoid this pain and keep up the program. Ill repost if I get anything useful! until then: I soaked my legs in hot bath water and that helped tremendously! I put ice packs on while I laid in bed and that had a more lasting effect. Sposed to do d2 tonight but Ill be walking it while my friend runs :(
  • slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I suffered with this as well and ended up having to take a whole month off and just walk. Everytime I tried to run (even a few feet) it would hurt really bad. I went and got fitted for shoes and discovered I have an abnormally high arch (which tries to collapse when I run). I got the new shoes and some orthotic insoles and am now more or less pain free. It does still hurt some but NOTHING like it did. I can ice when I get home and be fine. It was hard just walking for a whole month but better than the alternative!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin pain, calf pain, knee pain wearing my motion-control shoes (Brooks Beast) that I got fitted for at the running store. They still gave me pain when I was fore-foot/mid-foot striking. I've switched to Vibrams, and I have zero pain. They make it incredibly easy to fore-foot strike and have dramatically improved my form. I over-pronate and have flat feet, but the VFF's are helping to make my feet and ankles stronger. I never did like the idea that there was something wrong with my feet and that I had to wear "proper" shoes to correct them.
  • aimeeinohio
    Options
    I've been taking Advil before I head out, stretching before I head out, and stretching & icing when I get back. Helping IMMENSELY! They don't hurt me really now, although the right one is still sore to the touch.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Advil before I head out, stretching before I head out, and stretching & icing when I get back. Helping IMMENSELY! They don't hurt me really now, although the right one is still sore to the touch.

It's not advisable to take pain relievers to get through your running. If something hurts, you need to take care of the problem, not hide it. If you continue to run on an injured leg, it will only get worse.
  • aimeeinohio
    Options

It's not advisable to take pain relievers to get through your running. If something hurts, you need to take care of the problem, not hide it. If you continue to run on an injured leg, it will only get worse.

I was taking the Advil to help prevent the inflammation, and it did help. I used it for about a week, and haven't since. :)