What if the BMR calculator lied?

chapparra27
chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
What if it does? I mean maybe I am really not burning 1,680 calories just by doing nothing. Then I have to eat back anything I burn on top of this! I try but I have been eating junk just to hit those cal goals and still not hitting them. I am scared that I am wasting my time.

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Deep breath!

You are on the right track, it just flies in the face of all the nonsense that is constantly being shoved down our throats. In order to function and keep you alive, your organs, etc. have to work, which requires energy. That is where your BMR comes in.

I just got a Body Media Fit and I love it. It has been so reassuring to me, to see that on a typical day, without exercise, I burn 2500-2600 calories! Which coincidentally, is what the Scooby calculator was telling me all along. I am stubborn and needed to see it with my own eyes.
    Hang in there, you've got a plan. Now its time to be consistent and stick to it.

We're all here to support you, and we will be here to celebrate your success!
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Deep breath!

You are on the right track, it just flies in the face of all the nonsense that is constantly being shoved down our throats. In order to function and keep you alive, your organs, etc. have to work, which requires energy. That is where your BMR comes in.

I just got a Body Media Fit and I love it. It has been so reassuring to me, to see that on a typical day, without exercise, I burn 2500-2600 calories! Which coincidentally, is what the Scooby calculator was telling me all along. I am stubborn and needed to see it with my own eyes.
    Hang in there, you've got a plan. Now its time to be consistent and stick to it.

We're all here to support you, and we will be here to celebrate your success!
    Thank you :)
    Your so right! I need to stick to it for more than a few days a weeks. I just see myself eating and feel like I am stuffing my face and I think there is no way this can be "good" for me! I hate seeing the scale stay the same or go up. It is so difficult trying to eat that much and do it in a healthy way. I stress about it so much I feel like I am trying to sabotage myself! Damn cookies shouldn't even be in my house! So tomorrow is weigh day and I have done better this week, I will see if anything happens.
    Thank you for being so supportive.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Just remember this is not a quick fix, this is how its gonna be from this point out. So you may gain a few pounds of water weight, not fat weight right now, but no biggie. Especially if you are starting a heavy lifting program, know that you may see a temporary gain on the scale. I agree that maybe you need to pick and choose what kinds of foods you keep in the house. I have 5 little ones myself and even so, I just cant justify having alot of snack foods in the house. Its not much better for me than it is for them. It was hard at the beginning for them, but now they grab nuts or fruits and veggies for a snack. So really we're all in this together.
    I also wanted to mention this thing is all about planning. I do so much better when I plan out my meals the night before. I actually enter them into my diary. It takes the guesswork out of my day. Often I think that because I have "so many calories", I have plenty of room for junk. What I'm finding though, is that if I want to hit my macros, I really don't have room for much junk at all. When I'm doing well, I try to limit myself to one little (usually healthified) treat at night. There are tons of recipes out there for satisfying your sweet or salty tooth, you just have to do a litlte digging. I went on vacation about two weeks ago and it seems like I've been struggling ever since to get back on track with clean eating, and I know it all comes down to pre-planning for me. Focus on hitting your protein goal, and everything else usually tends to fall into place.
    Remember, think long term thoughts.
    Dont remember where I saw this but it always sticks with me:
    "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    My only suggestion based on what you posted is to try to keep some high calorie, nutrient dense snacks around so you don't have to eat junk to up your calorie intake. Full fat Greek yogurt, nuts or nut butter, even frozen greek yogurt or a smoothie would likely feel less like junk food. Not that you can't enjoy a cookie now and then, but meeting your macros is important as well for this to work well. I'm actually just a newbie (3 weeks in), but have changed what I eat dramatically since increasing my calories, and now I eat more healthily than I have in a long time. I do splurge, but try not to do it on a daily basis. :)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    momofmy5kids which scooby calculator were you using prior to your BMF?

Chappara totally get your uncertainty on the BMR, TDEE numbers, good luck in staying on track with good food :)
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    It's hard to trust the numbers at first because they seem high, but so many people have achieved success by following this method, so have faith.

I wore my bodybugg on a sick day (I was in bed 99% of the day, only got up to use the bathroom really) and my BMR was much higher than the calculated prediction. Obviously I was moving around a little bit and not just laying there perfectly still, but that just goes to show you how a tiny bit of activity increases your TDEE significantly.