zigzagging?

squishycow7
squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
Hi fellow eaters :)

I am eating at TDEE - 15%. Yesterday I had a big overage (about 675 over!!) because of a birthday party/ lack of self control. You know how it is. Anywayyy... I was wondering if anyone who eats at a static calorie goal like this also zigzags? Or am I incorporating too many things at once?? I usually take the side of "tomorrow is a new day" when things like this happen, but of course there's the side that says it's okay to go lower for the next day to make up for the surplus (zigzag).

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the matter! I've never done it before but I AM feeling guilty about all those cals.

***Short-version of my question: should I eat 300ish less today and tomorrow to make up for my 600ish overage yesterday?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello,

For most beginners we do not advocate zigzagging as a method to start with. The reason we say this, is we are trying to build everyone into good habits, and setting a specific daily goal (that doesn't change) helps to set in place easy to accomplish and sustainable goals/habits that promote successful long term weight loss :)

Mike
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    You are also trying to get your body used to being fueled, if you over eat one day and under eat the next then you are doing yourself a disservice. This was how I lived my life before and I am pretty sure is one of the biggest reasons I kept gaining or not losing.

Be consistent with your calories and your body will reward you.
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    agreed
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    I've been curious about this kind of thing too. Thanks for the insight! I think I'll just stick to my plan and keep marching on.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Bump
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Thanks friendsies. That's the answer I was hoping for anyway... Then I won't be hungry... Haha :)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Zigzagging has been the only thing that helped me move the scale in a more consistent fashion. Eating consistent calories kept me at a consistent weight -- no loss and inch loss stalled as well. I started doing a mostly raw fruits/veggies day and alternating with a day where I eat meat, some wheat and fruits and veggies. It keeps the bloating away (probably because of the increased water content on the fruit days) and keeps things moving.

I eat when I feel hungry and I just try to net my BMR every day. My body seems to be responding to that. I spent about 6 weeks losing and gaining the same 3 lbs when I kept my calories constant.