Gamers Dating Gamers

Options

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So many raid night dates!

Its the best part. Our first anniversary, hubby and i booked a swanky hotel in chicago, and played our twin hordie toons on WoW alot of the weekend. We did dinner at nice places, and spent time together otherways, but always came back and played in the room!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I turned my wife into a gamer for a while. I got her hooked on Starcraft at one point. I even brought her to LAN parties where she murderized some of my friends. I was so proud.

There were a couple times that we fought when she took the trash talking a little bit too far. Especially with Puzzle Fighter. She's really sharp at puzzle games and I got her a gameboy SP with that game so she could play anywhere. She used to kill time at the arcade on campus with one quarter and stay on the machine for hours taking challenger after challenger. (so proud).

Now that we have kids, those days are behind her. I can't seem to lure her into Starcraft 2 or Diablo and she doesn't want to get hooked again. She picks up Tetris on Nintendo DS but that's it.

My girl is a beast at Tetris too.

I cant even play her anymore because she will beat me and talk smack the whole time. She does the same with Mario Kart lol.
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a gamer. He got me into MMORPGs.
  • danyeinarson
    Options
    I've only ever dated gamers. Alas, they never work out, but I don't think them being a gamer per se is what made thiings go haywire. The first guy I was seeing wasn't a "gamer", he was big into swordplay and larping and such. That didn't work out because of age. My first boyfriend broke up with me because my *kitten* hit his water pipe, which landed on his D&D board and well ... he was maaaaaaad LOL.

I just got out of a 3 1/2 year relationship with a hardcore gamer, and we're still good friends. It's always awesome to raid until 6am, order a pizza, and just hammer out dailies together.

BUT on the flipside, I found that dating gamers made me less active, and we didn't motivate each other as much as we should. I still consider myself a gamer, but more casual now that I am right into my weight loss.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My husband and I met in The Dreadlands (EQ). After playing together online for about a year, he visited (from Denmark) to see if it was what we thought it was. It was. We got married that year and he moved to the US permanently. We sold our EQ accounts for more than 10k and put the money down on a house.

This week we will have our 10 year wedding anniversary.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Meh, used to date someone I met in WoW. It was nice at first, raiding together and all... then I realised that gaming is like the ONLY thing we have in common. Not that wonderful anymore, and it made raiding together awkward after - he's still in my guild though, and it takes much willpower to keep things cordial. Mhmm.. so I guess, never again. At least not with someone in the same guild & raid group. Ugh :noway:
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I've only ever dated gamers. Alas, they never work out, but I don't think them being a gamer per se is what made thiings go haywire. The first guy I was seeing wasn't a "gamer", he was big into swordplay and larping and such. That didn't work out because of age. My first boyfriend broke up with me because my *kitten* hit his water pipe, which landed on his D&D board and well ... he was maaaaaaad LOL.

I just got out of a 3 1/2 year relationship with a hardcore gamer, and we're still good friends. It's always awesome to raid until 6am, order a pizza, and just hammer out dailies together.

BUT on the flipside, I found that dating gamers made me less active, and we didn't motivate each other as much as we should. I still consider myself a gamer, but more casual now that I am right into my weight loss.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind dating someone that was a bit of a gamer; however, not so much where that's ALL we is sit on our loins and get fat together. I lead a much more active lifestyle.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would only date another gamer, because i would hate to date someone i have nothing in common with.

i see friends that are with people that don't game, and it never ends well.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've always been a gamer, but my on/off got me into WoW and Magic The Gathering. Well, with MtG we sorta got into it together.

But with WoW... I was always a bit anti-WoW. Then he made me play Warcraft III, and GOOD LORD was I hooked. Then he suggested I try making a toon on his account... before he knew it, I was downloading a trial and then buying myself a full copy. Now I am addicted. So addicted, I still cry whenever I make a new Tauren toon and have to go through the Cata starter area :'(
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    My fiance is a gamer and I could never see myself with someone who isn't into games... that would be like hell lol
  • Astralserenity
    Options
    My husband was the tank in my guild!

We met on WoW and two years later we got married! It's been awesome! We are both avid gamers!

This happened to me except I was leading a raid full time. My guild was new and cleared content in a fraction of the time of the rest of the server. I needed a healer and on the day in question also needed a dps. He responded to my trade ad and I asked him to submit to a gear check...His response was "but I'm baelyn, everyone knows baelyn" To which I promptly replied, "But i'm achtland, Dragonmaw's first real lady raid leader and you don't know me, so come for a gear check"

Long story short he told me later in the raid that he had a shaman healer and *I* told him that I would have his babies if he would bring his healer to my guild full time. Two years later he moved from the states to Canada to be with me and we're getting married on the 15th!

Gamers totally work together but I agree with one of the other posters, you gotta be at the same level. I would also add that gamers work better together if they remember that there's more to life, their life, than the games they connected through.

I had two relationships with gamers and my last(the one I'm in now) has been the best but that's entirely because unlike my last guy, this one knows when to hit the off button on the games and go for a walk with me :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever dated someone who wasn't a gamer. My boyfriend and I play everything together - I'm his pocket healer :laugh:
  • Genericwit
    Genericwit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm with most of you guys on that front. I can't date someone who's not a gamer. I once dated a guy who played all his games on the easiest available mode, and it annoyed the crap out of me. And he was a sore loser when I beat him in... everything. Pfftt. Amateur hour.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My ex and I played WoW together for a while until he got bored of it and I let it consume me. We broke up and I kept playing. A guy 'friend' of mine that I was seeing for a while raided hardcore with me for almost 3 years. We did the Aion and SWTOR thing for a while.

I miss having someone to game with. I am quite jealous all of you ended up so well with your gamer guys and gals! Where's my future gamer hubby dammit ):
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    My ex and I played WoW together for a while until he got bored of it and I let it consume me. We broke up and I kept playing. A guy 'friend' of mine that I was seeing for a while raided hardcore with me for almost 3 years. We did the Aion and SWTOR thing for a while.

I miss having someone to game with. I am quite jealous all of you ended up so well with your gamer guys and gals! Where's my future gamer hubby dammit ):

this is how i feel sometimes.

dated a few guys from wow, it usually ended badly.
    super jealous of people that can make it work!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

this is how i feel sometimes.

dated a few guys from wow, it usually ended badly.
    super jealous of people that can make it work!

Totally.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Not sure I've ever been with anyone who wasn't a gamer. I've always been lucky and managed to find a geek. I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend and I are both gamers, first met via Everquest 2. Our tastes converge in some areas and are apart in others. Contrary to what I would have liked, we aren't the usual MMO tank healer combo...we're both f*cking tanks.

We both enjoy gaming in general though, even non MMOs, I don't think I could be with someone who isn't a gamer, even though I don't game anywhere near as much as I used to.....I'm currently juggling a fear of playing EVE and a desire to dive in, I'm scared I'll get sucked in and become some kind of obsessive Hispaniard Space Jew, trying to ruin economies left and right.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was always into video games but my fiance is way into them more than I am. A lot of girls would whine that they don't see their boyfriends enough because he's too busy playing World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic, (soon to be) Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, etc. I however either play with him; or, I'll be sitting in front of the computer playing Minecraft. XD

We've embrassed the gamers in both of us and don't have problems. Even helping him with this new blog with some friends (overclockedtesters.com). I guess it just depends on the person and how much you love the games they play lmao.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I met my boyfriend on WoW. My guild fell apart, so a friend of mine invited me to his guild. My boyfriend was the GM/raid leader. I was pretty intimidated by him because he was so hot/awesome and really, really good at the game. The first time he spoke to me on Vent, I thought I was going to die.

I needed help with my toon since I was a new 80, so we started chatting, and he logged onto all of his level 80 alts to help gear me up, give me some gems/enchants, and so on. It was a makeover right in the middle of Dalaran. :) We laughed about that for a bit, and then he asked if I had a MySpace (he didn't have FB yet). Once we traded MySpace links, we started stalking each other without the other knowing it. That went on for about a year, but we didn't want to date because of the distance (and we'd both had it with relationships). We were totally happy being friends and staying single.

We started dating a year later (January 2010). He moved from New Mexico to Michigan in June 2011. We still play WoW, Diablo, and other games together. He's trying to get me into Star Wars, but I don't need another time-sink. ;)