Gamers Dating Gamers

Options
I've dated several gamers - it never works out. I suppose most of them have approached me specifically because they'll see me in Gamestop and I actually sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about and the fact that being a female that plays video games, I wouldn't whine should they want to marathon their way through Mass Effect. I think this could be the worse reason for dating anyone.

Have you ever dated another gamer? How has it worked for you?

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I turned my wife into a gamer for a while. I got her hooked on Starcraft at one point. I even brought her to LAN parties where she murderized some of my friends. I was so proud.

There were a couple times that we fought when she took the trash talking a little bit too far. Especially with Puzzle Fighter. She's really sharp at puzzle games and I got her a gameboy SP with that game so she could play anywhere. She used to kill time at the arcade on campus with one quarter and stay on the machine for hours taking challenger after challenger. (so proud).

Now that we have kids, those days are behind her. I can't seem to lure her into Starcraft 2 or Diablo and she doesn't want to get hooked again. She picks up Tetris on Nintendo DS but that's it.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My ex got me into gaming, and immediately regretted his decision. He hated the fact that I'd stay up and raid, or that if I was in a group he'd have to wait for me to finish what I was doing before I'd do whatever he needed/wanted me to do. It got ugly for a time. He doesn't like MMOs for those reasons - he just thought I'd enjoy it and it would give me something fun to do. Little did he know he would turn me into a hardcore gamer :laugh:
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    my ex did the same thing Bre. He would get so mad when I expected him to do the dishes or take out the trash while I finished a raid or a PVP battle. I miss playing with him tho lol. But since then no I haven't really dated a gamer. My bf now plays xbox a lot but nothing like what I did.
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    I typically find that if you both aren't on the same level of gaming (hardcore with hardcore, casual with casual, non-gamer with non-gamer) you are definitely going to have some issues. Maybe they just realize only a gamer girl will put up with THEIR gaming (if they leave us alone at the same time <3)
  • CrystalX82
    CrystalX82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All of my boyfriends have been gamers. My current boyfriend and I met on World of Warcraft. We were friends online for 5 years but weren't single... then things fell into place, he was in an unhappy relationship and my marriage fell apart... we got closer and have been dating for over 2 years now =) He's huge into PC gaming, I've been playing more Xbox stuff recently but we're both currently playing Diablo 3 =) It's tough when you want to have some together time and the games are so addicting but as long as you make it a point to have date nights, it hasn't been an issue =)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    My husband was the tank in my guild!

We met on WoW and two years later we got married! It's been awesome! We are both avid gamers!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My wife used to be into QUAKE and Doom. She was able to hold her own. Now my wife sticks to 2D cuz anything else gets her sick. She can only beat me in Mario Party games and some Wii Sports Resorts. Oh, and she's a monster at Mario Kart. All editions (cept the GCN version). She also was madly in love with Pikmin. Almost to the point that she almost got a tat of the fat purple one. She works for NASA, so she builds and plays with cooler *kitten*.
  • chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I met my fiance in WoW a couple years back. At the time my marriage was falling apart and he was seeing a girl who kept cheating on him. 2 years later we have a 3 month old son and are getting married soon :) We still both play. I wouldn't say hardcore tho. While he is at work, I do my workouts and clean house and take care of the baby. And when he is home, we play WoW side by side haha. But we have a rule that WE come first and if I ask him to do something even if he's in a raid, he has to leave and do it, and vice versa. But I would never ask him to unless it was REALLY important..
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Never a fan of dating other gamers. I like to play with friends and raze hell and just do random things. Never found a female gamer that thinks blocking a hallway and playing trivia to get out was fun.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The only other girl i ever dated who was into games was one of those kinds of WoW addicts who puts it before their personal life. In fact many of her IRL friends called her by her WoW character name (which kinda creeped me out when I was around them).

Common interests with a significant other is always good. But when one places higher priority on it than the other things start to get ugly. And this applies to all interests, not just gaming.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Never a fan of dating other gamers. I like to play with friends and raze hell and just do random things. Never found a female gamer that thinks blocking a hallway and playing trivia to get out was fun.

*edited cuz my tablet is lame*

I've done that before... teachers got so pissed when we did lol. (Did it in high school)
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband is a gamer, we didn't meet through games though. I enjoy that we have the common interest, sometimes it can suck considering we share a computer and he has an issue with realizing when its time to play games and when its time to be a parent/husband but I quickly set him back on track :)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I remember playing Counter-Strike in the computer lab during lunch. Had some awesome LAN. Screw Online play LAN rules.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My bf of 7 years and I are both gamers. I'd like to think it is working. Otherwise, 7 years is a long time to just loaf around.
  • Sveid
    Sveid Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My bf is a gamer! He plays semi-professional Team Fortress 2 and will hopefully go pro next season. He also used to play WoW competitively.

I'm a big gamer, but not nearly the same as him. He says I have the skill to go competitive, but I don't want to because I really like staying a casual gamer. Balancing school, work, and him is already hard enough. With competitive play, I'd just be too busy.

Him and I do clash a little bit because of his time spent. I compromise with him and generally just ask for a day or two a week for me to steal him and hang out with him. Even then, I don't care if he practices with his team late at night. As long as I get to see him for a few hours a couple days a week, I'm happy.
  • Sveid
    Sveid Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Double post, whoops.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I never have dated a gamer. I have no idea if it would work out. I still play but I am more casual now than in the past. I needed to cut back for health reasons. I got up to almost 500 lbs. MMORPGs was my thing, specifically FFXI.

I think it just depends on the person. I am much more physically active now than in the past. I average 2-4 hrs a week of game time while in the past it was 8-10 hrs a day everyday. If I was to date someone who was similar in game playing time then I believe it could work out but if she was more hard core I forsee conflict and I think it would not work out in the long run.
  • Pintsoflove
    Pintsoflove Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both PC gamers. We've been married 8 years. We play MMOs together. He got me to play DAoC with him while we were dating and I've been hooked since. We aren't in one right now but we did the Guildwars 2 Beta last weekend and are going to be playing The Secret World beta this weekend. He plays a lot of FPSs. We both have other interests outside of video games that we do separetly. We both go to the gym. We both also like to play poker and and hang out with friends. It's all about balancing your interests. Playing video games together isn't any different than having a spouse you play tennis with or some other shared interest that takes up time. Although if it was tennis we'd probably look a lot better. :laugh:
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    The only other girl i ever dated who was into games was one of those kinds of WoW addicts who puts it before their personal life. In fact many of her IRL friends called her by her WoW character name (which kinda creeped me out when I was around them).

Common interests with a significant other is always good. But when one places higher priority on it than the other things start to get ugly. And this applies to all interests, not just gaming.

Yes, I'll have to agree with referring to each other by your gamertag or toon name is a bit creepy. If you know me IRL...just call me by my given name LOL
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are both gamers, but we didn't get together because we were gamers. Personally, I think it works out really well to have a common hobby between us that we can bother get excited, talk about, etc. Our parents (and lots of other couples I know) have a hard time "thinking of things to do" together after being married with kids, etc. so it's nice to have something to fall back on for a bit of chill time.

Our first big game was WoW. I fired up a trial on the 4th of July one year and asked her to try it out. We ended up staying in that night instead of going to see fireworks. We played pretty seriously up through Burning Crusade when we finally burned out of raiding, etc. Most recently we've been playing LOTRO and have checked out the Guild Wars 2 beta(which we both really enjoyed).

I don't think gaming makes a relationship, or breaks it, but it can certainly help (or hurt).