Protein without the fat

vatblack
vatblack Posts: 221 Member
I have a limited pantry. So, I try to meet my protein levels with nuts, peanut butter, sometimes cheese (I'm allergic to milk so I eat very little cheese now as compared to before in my life) and meat.

The problem is I am forever overshooting my fat by lunchtime already. It is driving me batty.

Help! My fat is set at 20% (45% carbs, 35% protein) according to scooby. That translates to only 56g of fat according to MFP.

I know people have told me not to worry about it too much yersterday or the day before. But the pattern is not breaking and I can see what foods cause it.

So, how do you get lean protein and good carbs in without the fat? I am not sold on buying protein bars and powders yet because I'm very sceptical of those things. It is not food - as it is overprosessed, isn't it just as bad for you as American cheese slices or candied yoghurt?

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    I have a limited pantry. So, I try to meet my protein levels with nuts, peanut butter, sometimes cheese (I'm allergic to milk so I eat very little cheese now as compared to before in my life) and meat.

The problem is I am forever overshooting my fat by lunchtime already. It is driving me batty.

Help! My fat is set at 20% (45% carbs, 35% protein) according to scooby. That translates to only 56g of fat according to MFP.

I know people have told me not to worry about it too much yersterday or the day before. But the pattern is not breaking and I can see what foods cause it.

So, how do you get lean protein and good carbs in without the fat? I am not sold on buying protein bars and powders yet because I'm very sceptical of those things. It is not food - as it is overprosessed, isn't it just as bad for you as American cheese slices or candied yoghurt?

A lot of people here have their macros set at 40c/30f/30p (myself included).

I like beef or turkey jerky, light string cheese, eggs or egg beaters. Just to name a few.
  • vatblack
    Beef jerky sounds like a good idea. I'm from South Africa where it is called biltong and can be safely considered a national food. ETA: I do eat a lot of eggs too. Love boiled eggs.

I'll see where I can buy some of that.

Also, does anyone has insight for me in terms of the protein bars and powders. What are they made off and why are they usually thought of as healthy though they are clearly over-processed foods. I know I'm harping on this issue, but I need to understand.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Beef jerky sounds like a good idea. I'm from South Africa where it is called biltong and can be safely considered a national food. ETA: I do eat a lot of eggs too. Love boiled eggs.

I'll see where I can buy some of that.

Also, does anyone has insight for me in terms of the protein bars and powders. What are they made off and why are they usually thought of as healthy though they are clearly over-processed foods. I know I'm harping on this issue, but I need to understand.
    I feel quite good using Bluebonnet Whey Isolate. They don't use any artificial sweeteners etc.
    The second protein powder I use is called Pulsin' Pea Protein Powder.
    This one has nothing added to it at all. It's not very tasty by itself, but you can mix it either with sweet or savoury food.
  • vatblack
    Thanks
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Not all powders and protein bars are created equal. Read the ingredients to see how 'processed' vs 'clean' they are. The stuff in the natural grocery stores are usually pretty good. They are both a good way to increase protein intake with affecting much of your other macros (except some protein bars can be high in sugar). I like to make various recipes with the protein powder in order to increase protein and control the ingredients.

I have my macros set at 50-25-25 because it's more doable for me. Also fat is necessary for you and not at all bad--just get the good fats (sounds like you are)!