Triathlete and The Fat Kid Inside

Options
www.thefatkidinside.com

All the recipes and food i prepare, always try to focus on healthy living, however these will be more specific to people who not only want to be healthy but who also wish to be fit. Nowadays, everyone claims to be an expert in weight loss, it seems that at every corner there is one more athlete/home cook/celebrity endorsing some kind of food/exercise/program that will revolutionise your life and make you thin in no time (YAY). But, nay. In truth there is no easy way to lose weight; I’m around 5’11 (ok 5’10) and now weigh 149 pounds (67.8kgs), rewind 4 years back i was 5’11 (fine fine 5’10) and weighed 240 pounds (109kgs). Don’t take out your calculators, yes, that’s 91 pounds. I know full grown women that weigh 91 pounds (well, full grown very thin women).

You can imagine what being that big does to a person, it makes you feel ugly, slow, hopeless and desperate, the more you try to hide it the more it comes gnawing at you. My turning point came after a bad break up way back then, after which I decided to go to a Greek island and work for 6 months. If you know Greeks, they are stubborn people, the friends I made helped me become comfortable with myself, making me work out in the gym shirtless, taking off my shirt in public places, just being ok with being fat. Once I achieved that, I realized I wasn’t just a fat boy anymore, but that I was a fat boy that could get fit if I wanted to

I gained weight because of a sedentary lifestyle and overly indulging in foods I knew were bad for me, eating out too often, taking the easy root (microwavable dishes) and not caring what went in my body. I lost weight through pure dedication, tireless hours of hard work and yes, food. I cooked my way to fitness, making sure to only feed myself tasty well prepared dishes with all the right stuff, the perfect fuel. Of course I indulge from time to time, as the fat kid still lurks inside of me; here you will find a little bit of everything for the sole purpose of sharing my passion for food and life.

Replies

• TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is a great story. Glad you stuck with it!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You'd really be surprised at how many "Recovering Fat Kids" there are in triathlon.
  • bsgkid
    bsgkid Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What got me interested was a book entitled "Slow Fat Triathlete: Live Your Dreams With The Body You Have Now" by Jayne Williams. I'm waddling in my neighborhood, and cycling at the gym. The only thing holding me back thus far is that I have to learn how to swim, which is a pretty big part of triathlon! I don't have to be fast, but I do have to not drown. :laugh: Thanks for your story. It touches us, too.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    You'd really be surprised at how many "Recovering Fat Kids" there are in triathlon.

I am...

Cant wait to read the link
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options

So true.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Oh god, that makes me feel less alone!