What is everyone taking for their PCOS

Options
Cloudsweeper
Cloudsweeper Posts: 32 Member
Just wondering what supplements, medications, or other special tips everyone is doing.

I am currently on no meds but think I need a change in my routine as I am feeling more sluggish and am actually gaining weight and not loosing.

Thanks
Carrie.

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin since mid-April. I think it's working though I had lost weight before I started taking it.
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am currently on taking supplements, a multivitamin and sublingual B-12. The Dr wants me on meds but I am waiting until after my next bloodwork in July. I have changed my diet and am hoping that this will effectively lower my blood sugar levels. The Dr would like me on Spiralactone and Metformin.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Im currently on Spiro for acne/facial hair... doing wonders for the acne done nothing for the hair ... sad :(!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I take cinnamon capsules but nothing else yet.

have you had your iron checked? low iron definitely can equal sluggishness.

I've been having issues in that dept, I am going to call & request testing for iron and also Vitamin D levels.
  • jonesygetshealthy
    jonesygetshealthy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, I've been on some form of hormones (birth control) for about 5 years, I did well on Ocella but that's pretty much off-the-market now, Zarah (gave me TERRIBLE acne), and now they are trying me on Sprintec (bad Pms, bad acne, emotional all the time to the dismay of my boyfriend, lol). I really want to switch back to something like ocella.
    For hirsutism, I either use an epilator (heaven-sent!), or I (rarely) Nair my girlstache/sideburny things. Luckily, I'm rather fair haired so my facial hair is white. Not always blonde, mind you, but matte white and both the Blonde/white show up SO much in the sunlight. And I keep a good pair of tweezers on me at all times for those stray hairs which just appear on a daily basis. For my belly hair which is DARK while everything else is blonde, I just shave it when I do my legs. No one sees my belly anyways. I don't know how I feel about being on a medication for getting rid of the hair... I'm the sort of person who tries to cure things by eating properly, etc but we will see in the future!
    And for weight loss, I started off at 5'3" 195lbs, but by cutting out gluten (all wheat, barley, and rye), I noticed my cramps/abdomen pain was better and my acne was reduced, and cutting gluten out of my diet was when my doctor suggested a protein-based diet for weight loss because of the pcos.. I'm doing the Dukan Diet (high protein, low fat, low carb) and I've gotten down to 158lbs.
    oy, I've written enough XD
  • TammyGrl0528
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS since 2006. I have been prescribed Metformin since 2006...but I tend to go off and on it! I am trying it again.

I take several supplements:

MegaRed, (Krill oil, Omega-3) for a healthy heart
    Biotin, due to brittle hair and nails. SInce taking Biotin and using Biotin shampoo my hair is getting thicker and is stronger and more healthy.
    Magnesium because I get leg cramps. Doctor suggested taking it, so I do, and it seems to work.
    CoQ10, I have cholesterol issues and take Statin drugs, so it is recommended to take CoQ10.

It's a lot...but it seems to work.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    Im on a 3 month trial of Dianette
    Not sure what to make of it at the min.....
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    No meds here.
  • amberlstark
    Options
    I have tried it all! Started off with Metformin and spiro....did nothing....so now i am not on anything and hoping that if i loose some weight, it will help! Many things I have read and been told is that it will! Here is for hoping!
  • H18961
    H18961 Posts: 15
    Options
    I take 2000mg of Metformin and two 5mcg Byetta injections (I couldn't tolerate the higher dosage of Byetta at all), plus 100mcg of Levothyroxine for my underactive thyroid. I was diagnosed with PCOS five years ago, and when I originally started my meds I lost weight so quickly that my doctor actually took me off of the Byetta to make the weight loss stop. The Metformin helped with maintenance for quite a while, but I have gradually gained back the weight I lost within the last year and a half.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon but nothing yet, except for my burps taste like cinnamon. It's only been a week or so. I'm not playing with the dosage. According the research, results were seen with as little as 2 grams daily in some patients. I really shoulda got the cinnamon with Chromium. I've read that the combo is really supposed to be good for PCOS'ers.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I'm on 1000 mg of Metformin (twice daily 500mg slow release), 1 grain of nature-throid for my hypo, and low estrogen birth control pills to regulate my cycle. I'm hoping to be able to stick to a low carb diet (between 30-50 grams of carbs a day) so I can get my insulin levels down and not have to take metformin anymore. My ultimate goal is to not only be healthy, but not have to take meds for anything anymore!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    As far as Rx drugs
    Metformin - 1000mg
    Spiro 200mg
    Lavaza 4g

OTC
    Cinamon 2 grams
    Cinamon with chrominum picolate 4 grams
    Niacin (low flush) 500mg
    This is all daily

My doc wanted to treat this agressively since I had such severe symptoms. I was diagnosed 11/2011
    I also do a low carb diet.
    I was already doing cardio and a couple of months ago I added in strength training.. I have been doing lots of research and gleaning as much information as I can.
  • tracielaine
    tracielaine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am taking Metformin 500mg extended release
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Metformin 1500mg
    I also take a Diabetes support vitamin pack by Nature Made to help with Insulin Resistance - it includes cinnamon, selenium, chromium, CoQ10, alpha lipoleic acid, and multi vitamin
    Vitamin D
    Omega 3,6,9 (all in one capsule)
    Armour Thyroid for HypoT

Endo put me on a low carb diet and I found that cutting out the sugars and starches has helped me feel tremendously better.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Metformin 1500mg
    I also take a Diabetes support vitamin pack by Nature Made to help with Insulin Resistance - it includes cinnamon, selenium, chromium, CoQ10, alpha lipoleic acid, and multi vitamin
    Vitamin D
    Omega 3,6,9 (all in one capsule)
    Armour Thyroid for HypoT

Endo put me on a low carb diet and I found that cutting out the sugars and starches has helped me feel tremendously better.
    I wish mfp had a low carb/sugar setting.
    OOooo a Diabetes support vitamin pack?!? I learned something new!
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I take a Multivitamin, Metformin (1000mg, twice daily), and Mononessa the generic of Ortho-Cyclen. I have tried MANY types of hormones and this is by far the best for me. Little to no cramps, no nausea, and regular cycles. So far so good, I had blood work done recently and I am waiting for the results. My doctor and I are pretty positive they are great considering I have lost 70 pounds. I am 5'1" and I started out at 224.8 and I am down to 154.4!! =)
  • Alluring72
    Alluring72 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can not take hormones due to another medical condition - so I have not been put on anything. However - to those of you that posted about cinnamon - thanks! That is a route I can try. I had a horrible episode Saturday and was in excruiating pain all day.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been dianosed for about eight/nine years now, I was put on Metformin when I was diagnosed and stayed on it for a while but then was also put on Clomid when I was unsuccessfully ttc with my ex-fiance. We were on that for a year and still nothing was happening so I went to the introductory meeting for IVF. That's when I put my arms up and said I am going to take a break from it all.

Now I am not on any meds and just deal with my irregular flow, strange symptoms and thankfully fair excess hair. My current gyno has recorded (I moved to another country) what needs to happen when I am ready to start ttc again, but alas, I have now been single for four years, so if it isn't one thing, it is another..

All the best on all your individual journeys - it is nice to read some woman have conceived with this condition! :)
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I eas taking sublingual B-12 but realized that it gives me a headache. I just discovered that it has sucralose in the cherry flavor. My body does not like sugar substitutes. They have given me headaches all my life. I am going to try a B 12 Complex that is not sublingual. I have also started thinking about Bilberry. I am still doing research on it but will ikely try it before the end of July.