And Obama Drops the Bomb!

Replies

• atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    You don't think it's the drug cartel "massively inflowing" into the US; do you? It's the people wanting to escape that crap.

Exactly..
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    There is a huge difference. In mexico, the criminals have taken over. Their military and police can't even get a grip on them, but we want to allow massive inflow into the U.S.?

You don't think it's the drug cartel "massively inflowing" into the US; do you? It's the people wanting to escape that crap.

Not only that, unfortunately, many professionals cannot find work. It's not only the U.S. they are trying to seek refuge in. I know many people who have sought life in other countries like Spain, Germany, Norway, etc. Since the U.S. is so hostile towards immigrants many of these people have looked elsewhere for opportunities. Unfortunately, Spain has closed the doors to Brazilian and Mexican immigrants. Now, Mexican and Brazilian citizens require a "letter of invitation" to enter the country. Many have been turned away at the airport and not permitted access into the country without this letter.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I see immigration almost in physiologic terms. Essentially, you have a huge pressure gradient along a membrane--i.e. the US-Mexican border. The pressure comes from the tremendous disparity in economic opportunity, as well as the larger population. For example, we see almost no "illegal" immigration from Canada, despite a much longer, much less defended, border.

It is because of this pressure that I have pretty much zero confidence in the "build a bigger fence and throw them all out" approach to immigration reform. For one, the cost would be astronomical. Two, it wouldn't work.

I think it's a complicated issue and is going to take a multifaceted approach. That means border control methods that are effective, but it also means promoting economic growth and government stability in Mexico, coming up with quota systems that are realistic, going after employers who hire illegals, and, periodically, managing the numbers that are already here and finding ways to bring them into our society in a constructive way.

I don't think immigration can be "stopped" anymore than you can stop a glacier with a picket fence. I think the best approach is to put ideology aside and manage it.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    The point being missed here is that Obama doesn't make the law, he enforces it. If he wants to do this, then a bill needs to pass both houses. Obama doesn't set immigration policy.

He broke his oath of office with this one.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    This has less to to do with DREAM and more to do with immigration generally.

This is just my personal experience with the immigrants I've met and/or had as my neighbors (some of whom could very well have been illegal), they are some of the hardest working people I've met. It's not a universal, but overall they placed a lot of value in working. I just don't understand the resistance to incorporating that kind of ethic into the country.

I don't really want to play the cultural takeover card (read racism there), but sometimes I have to wonder. I just don't think we can claim to be (or want to be) a land of opportunity for people who work hard and also attempt to keep people who want the same thing out--and spend resources booting them out instead of actually generating revenue from them in the same way we do everyone else.
  • Azdak
    The GOP offers rival immigration plan: We will not deport anyone named "Marco Rubio."
    @LOLGOP via Facebook
  • EvanKeel
    The point being missed here is that Obama doesn't make the law, he enforces it. If he wants to do this, then a bill needs to pass both houses. Obama doesn't set immigration policy.

And if he did nothing, people would simply say he's completely ineffective. When the GOP say they want him to be a real leader, what they really mean is that they want him to just approve everything they say. For the last two years (after the red tidal wave), Congress has done very little in the way of actually being productive, and the POTUS takes the hit for that. And now he's going to take a hit for actually doing something positive when Congress won't? In fairness, it's not as if the Dems didn't take their sweet time doing things when they were in control too, it just wasn't quite this obstructionist.

So what kind of a leader do we really want?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    There are plenty of legal US citizens doing the same.

Yeah this isn't unique...and criminals flee to other countries elsewhere, too

There is a huge difference. In mexico, the criminals have taken over. Their military and police can't even get a grip on them, but we want to allow massive inflow into the U.S.?

I'd say that is a bit different than the much smaller number of immigrants going to and from OTHER countries where crime can usualy be limited or controlled.

This isn't about allowing further immigration. It is about allowing a path to citizenship for those who were brought here at a young age and are still here. There are also stipulations for having graduated High School here or serving in the military and not having a criminal history. Its not like we are kicking the gates open and telling everyone to come on in.

But naturally, once they learn of this new acceptance, I'm sure it WILL turn into a flood. That's why so many come here in the first place giving birth to children.
  • fbmandy55

I do. Recently the Zetas cartel was busted for launduring money in the US by breeding American racehorses. The bad guys of Mexico are all over the country here. In fact, according to the DEA, Mexican cartels are the #1 gang threat in the United States. As the Mexican immigrant population in the U.S. has grown, so has the crime from Mexico into the U.S.
  • angryguy77

A leader that follows our laws of governing.

And if he did nothing, people would simply say he's completely ineffective. When the GOP say they want him to be a real leader, what they really mean is that they want him to just approve everything they say. For the last two years (after the red tidal wave), Congress has done very little in the way of actually being productive, and the POTUS takes the hit for that. And now he's going to take a hit for actually doing something positive when Congress won't? In fairness, it's not as if the Dems didn't take their sweet time doing things when they were in control too, it just wasn't quite this obstructionist.

So what kind of a leader do we really want?

it doesn't matter if the congress does nothing for 2 years, the president doesn't have the authority to enforce parts of law over the other. Isn't justice supposed to be blind?

As you said in a previous post, the Dream Act was defeated. This is Obama going around congress to implement a law that was defeated by elected reps. this is not the way the branches of our gov are designed to work.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I am a conservative but I agree with the Dream Act. What I do not like is Obama circumventing Congress to buy the Hispanic vote.

While it's not November yet, and if we put any faith in polling, he already had the Hispanic vote. If anything he's buying Hispanics going to the voting booths in larger numbers.

Buying votes or energizing his base? Sort of depends on how we look at it.

I believe he took a hit among Hispanic (Catholic) voters wih his recent pronouncement on gay marriage. I get the sensation that this move is to bring them back. They will hopefully be mollified by this since it sounds like amnesty for the children.
  • EvanKeel

it doesn't matter if the congress does nothing for 2 years, the president doesn't have the authority to enforce parts of law over the other. Isn't justice supposed to be blind?

As you said in a previous post, the Dream Act was defeated. This is Obama going around congress to implement a law that was defeated by elected reps. this is not the way the branches of our gov are designed to work.

On the topic of the design of how government is supposed to work, did you know that the fiilibuster is actually an unintended mistake/design flaw that we've just latched onto?
  • EvanKeel
    I believe he took a hit among Hispanic (Catholic) voters wih his recent pronouncement on gay marriage. I get the sensation that this move is to bring them back. They will hopefully be mollified by this since it sounds like amnesty for the children.

I think it depends on the type of hit we're talking about. I don't think he lost any votes to Romney in the Hispanic community over same-sex marriage. If anything, it may have motivated some segment of that community to just not vote at all. This may be an attempt to remedy that. So in that sense, I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a partial motivating factor. I don't condemn him for it. I think he probably has other, more positive, motivations as well.
  • Azdak
    I am a conservative but I agree with the Dream Act. What I do not like is Obama circumventing Congress to buy the Hispanic vote.

While it's not November yet, and if we put any faith in polling, he already had the Hispanic vote. If anything he's buying Hispanics going to the voting booths in larger numbers.

Buying votes or energizing his base? Sort of depends on how we look at it.

This is just one opinion column and so obviously does not constitute any type of definitive "proof", but the author provides a counterpoint for your assertion, FWIW:
    According to an April report by the National Council of La Raza, or NCLR, 54 percent of Hispanics support same-sex marriage, one point higher than the general population. These numbers are echoed by other polling.

Several factors likely account for Latino support of marriage equality. We have evolved as gays and lesbians have become more visible in society. Hispanics are growing more sensitive to discrimination against others having experienced bias themselves during the heated debates over illegal immigration.

Still, Latino evangelical and conservative leaders have criticized the president's position.

"This is about the government saying, we are going to hijack a religious doctrine and change it for you," the Rev. Samuel Rodriguez of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference told Fox News Latino.

"I think that this will have a negative impact for the president, especially with those Latinos of faith," said Alfonso Aguilar of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles.

But a study by Latino Decisions found that only 3 percent of Hispanics counted social issues as top priorities. That may explain why Mitt Romney currently trails Obama by more than 30 percentage points among Hispanics.

And same-sex marriage is not going to work as a wedge issue for Romney with Latino voters because jobs, the economy, and education are our top concerns.

Original article: http://www.guampdn.com/article/20120615/OPINION02/206150321/Obama-s-gay-marriage-stance-helps-Latinos
  • angryguy77
    Anyone find it convince that his AG is telling Florida it can't purge it's voter records?

I wasn't going to vote for Mitt, but Obama just pushed me to it.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member

I think it depends on the type of hit we're talking about. I don't think he lost any votes to Romney in the Hispanic community over same-sex marriage. If anything, it may have motivated some segment of that community to just not vote at all. This may be an attempt to remedy that. So in that sense, I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a partial motivating factor. I don't condemn him for it. I think he probably has other, more positive, motivations as well.

I mostly agree. I don't think the gay marriage thing would've made those voters go for Romney. I think it would've caused a lot of them to stay home.

I'm not willing to assign him benevolent intentions, though. It IS an election year.
  • fbmandy55
    Even more infuriating to me is that he bypassed congress since they shot this down TWICE and signed this executive order. Who said the president didn't have much power?

As of today, 1 million illegal immigrants awaiting deportation are free to go. I'm far from one of those "birther" people who thinks Obama is a Muslim immigrant but can I please call him a Dictator now?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,252 Member
    Personally there isn't enough money for me to vote for Mitt.... Honestly I think the republicans totally messed this election up. By putting up all the right wing conservates the are basically handing Obama the election ... Remember what happened with Bush. No one liked him but no one liked Kerry either and better the evil you know over the evil you don't lol
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Even more infuriating to me is that he bypassed congress since they shot this down TWICE and signed this executive order. Who said the president didn't have much power?

Lest we forget King George W Bush
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    I support it, a no-brainer.

Anyone for mass-deportation should be at top of the list to go, IMO.