Heart Rate

Options
nehtaeh
nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
Hi! I'm new here. I did day 1, week 1 last night on the treadmill. I have a heartrate monitor but didn't have it on. I put my hands on the machine's HRM and it calculated my HR to be about 122 just after the run portion. I think I will pull out my HRM to compare, but it should be pretty close.

Is this normal? What is your hear rate typically? What would be a good heart rate to try and maintain?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your max heart rate is dependent on your cardiovascular fitness level (usually indicative of your resting heart rate), age, and gender.

I am 29, female, my resting heart rate is 51 BPM and Max heart rate is (probably) 191. 122 would be a low heart rate for me to sustain during activity. When I run my heart rate will be around 150-170.

So, it depends on what your maximum heart rate is (for women of average fitness, you can estimate your max heart rate as 226 minus your age)
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    I am 32, female as well.

I have assumed resting heart rate to be my HR while not moving, but does it make a difference taking it during the day or first thing in the morning when you've not done any physical exertion. While not working out my heart rate is typically about 60.

I have done Turbo Fire. My average heart rate through that was about 160, a high of about 188 during high intensity. I was surprised to see the 122. I thought maybe that might be an indicator that I could do more as it was only the first day.

Thanks for the info. :smile:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes... Your resting heart rate should ideally be taken when you are sitting or lying down, relaxed, with no caffeine in your body for the day, and no exercise or food within the last 3 or so hours. So yes first thing in the morning would be an ideal time.

I'm not saying 122 is inaccurate, but it's of some relevance to note that your heart rate is probably not going to get to a very high level after 60 second run/walk intervals (especially if you're not exactly starting from "couch"). And this is totally fine. You will probably see your heart rate increase in general over the coming weeks when runs get longer.
  • nehtaeh
    Options
    Thanks. That was sort of what I was thinking, and hoping I was right.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my HRM for my first 3 weeks of C25K. I'm 30, male. I only have data for 5 of the 9 days, because the other 4 I didn't stop the HRM after the session as I walked an additional 30 min afterwards, so it would skew the average HR.

Of the 5 days, I have:

W1D1 Avg HR 146, Max HR 171
    W1D2 Avg HR 136, Max HR 158
    W3D1 Avg HR 132, Max HR 170
    W3D2 Avg HR 130, Max HR 168
    W3D3 Avg HR 138, Max HR 174

The other days Max HR were 168, 169, 167.

My Polar FT4 shows the range I should be between: 124-162 which is 65-85% of my max HR. In other words, it's pretty close to that. At the end a running period, my HR is around 85% and higher, but by the time the walking period is over with my HR is back down close to 65%.