HRM - 24 hrs

aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
So I'm starting a new workout program on Monday and the guy recommends wearing your HRM for 24 hrs to see what your burn is on an average rest day. I'm 8 hrs in and I've reached 1,000 cals. I'm going to jump head here and say I don't think eating 1,900 on a daily basis is too much. If anything on my workout days maybe I'm not eating enough. I don't know.

Oh and my Bod Pod came back as my RMR needs as 1404 and sedentary at 1741, low active at 2134, active at 2443, and very active at 2906.

I was also told another generic way of figuring out what you should eat to lose body fat is by taking your current weight x10+300. That gives you the total calories you should have in a day. Well then doing it that way I would come out at 1990.

Pretty interesting to see all these different numbers. The hard part is finding the one that works for you.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    I would not trust a HRM monitor for 24 hours. They only work well at elevated heart rates. I know the Polar's are not recommended to be worn 24/7 by the manufacturer either.
  • aj_31
    I would not trust a HRM monitor for 24 hours. They only work well at elevated heart rates. I know the Polar's are not recommended to be worn 24/7 by the manufacturer either.

I've read that too. I'm only doing it out of curiosity. I've done all the other calculations from fat2fit and fitness frog and those other sites. They all come in very close to what I'm already doing. I hope that means the scale will continue to move.

Along with starting a new workout program on Monday I'm also cleaning up my diet. I'm already pre-planned Monday to follow my macros to the T and get the right amount of carbs, protein, fat, etc. I'm hoping that'll also help. Last time I lost 40 lbs I didn't have to even think about it. I just ate but ate less of what I wanted and that worked. This time around it doesn't seem to be working so hopefully this clean diet will help.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Hiiii!!!

I wore my Polar Ft40 for 24 hours last week...was kind of a pain sleepign with the chest strap but i was curious too haha. i wore it on my rest day. so i litterally sat around all day other than going to my cousins birthday party which was just sitting there instead of my place LOL... from 6am-6am i burned 1750. Which i found very accurate. My BMR is 1430 and according to Fat2Fit radio if i am sexdentary i can eat 1650 for weight loss. so even if it isnt reccommended, i was also curious and glad i did it!!
  • skbarton
    skbarton Posts: 141 Member
    I wore my Polar F4 for 24 hours and it said 3000+ calories - no way in **** my TDEE was 3000+ calories! My FitBit has given me about 1600 on a total sit on my behind day and anywhere from 1750 - 2100 on days where I was more active and more of a normal day. These numbers are more consistent with the various calculators out there than what the HRM said... I had the same curiosity thing going. So glad I got my FitBit.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    I've done it twice on non workout days and got 2350 and I think 2380. My Tdee at moderate is 2300 and at active with 10%cut is 2300 too. But I agree at night is a pain;). Nothing to lose.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Thanks for posting this, I have been meaning to try it but keep forgetting! I have just put it on so I will take it off at 7.30 sunday morning.

I realise it won't be 100% accurate but will still be interesting ; ) fitbits and the like are so expensive, and it's not something I would want to wear everyday.
  • aj_31
    So when I woke up this morning my HRM stopped at 23:59. It gave me a burn of 2651. My TDEE was 2365 or so that's what I've come up with using the help on the calculators and I was eating 1900 cals. Even with the generic formula of body weight x 10 +300 I can eat around 2000. Pretty interesting though.