Scooby site

Options
rosied915
rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
Just wondering which "research model" everyone uses when figuring out your numbers on this site.....the default is "Mifflin---"~ is that the one?

I'm seeing some posts with multiple answers to BMR & TDEE questions and all using the Scooby site.

Shouldn't we ALL use the same model?

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I use the Katch McCardle.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    I'm curious about this now, too. I've been eating around 1900 as my cut for the past couple of weeks, but some of the other formulas have me closer to 1700-1800.
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think the Scooby calculator is set on the Harris-Benedict equation. What site are you using that you can change it?
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    I think the Scooby calculator is set on the Harris-Benedict equation. What site are you using that you can change it?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I selected katch McArdle. You need your body fat %, which is hard to calculate I believe, but I used fat2fit to take numerous measurements and compared that to the reading my scale gave me and picked a figure in the middle....not the most scientific approach, I know!
  • rosied915
    Options
    OK~ so I just used the link provided in the above post and could choose from FOUR methods:

MIFFLIN-ST.JEOR
    HARRIS-BENEDICT
    KATCH-MC ARDLE
    CUNNINGHAM

For fun I entered my data and chose each one as my method (katch mc ardle you need BF%) and here's what I got:

MIFFLIN- ST. JEOR (the "default" method already in there)
    BMR 1448
    TDEE 2245
    CUT 15% 1908

HARRIS-BENEDICT
    BMR 1562
    TDEE 2421
    CUT 2058

CUNNINGHAM
    BMR 1439
    TDEE 2231
    CUT 1897

and the BEST for last:

KATCH- MC ARDLE
    BMR 2333 :noway:
    TDEE 3616 :noway: :noway:
    CUT 3074 :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

OK kids, 8 weeks ago when I figured this out using the same exact numbers (weight, etc) I got a whole different set of results none of which match any of the above.

For the record, I "feel" like I'm doing fine and am not looking to eat MORE and definitely not LESS food, but just want to be on the "same page" as everyone else.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Rosie your Katch McArdle is way too high...its usually less than the others
    Where did u get ure figures? Did u use fat2fitradio to get ure body fat % like one needs for KM?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The notes on the Scooby calculator (on their webpage) give guidance on which formula to use. Some are better for those closer to goal and others are better for those of us farther from goal.
  • rosied915
    Options
    Where did u get ure figures? Did u use fat2fitradio to get ure body fat % like one needs for KM?

Funny you should mention that.

Went on fat2fitradio and found 3 choices for calculating body fat %~ I just did all 3 and got:

ORIGINAL METHOD= 28.2%
    MILITARY METHOD= 52%
    COVERT BAILEY METHOD= 36.3

When I had gotten my BF% a while ago, I did all 3 methods and got 53% for the Military Method. I thought it would be better to go with the highest number. (????) That's what I've been doing........
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow thats amajor big difference yes! But I know mine did the same with them all...Im not sure what to trust!?
    My caliper shows an "in between" number...... So I use that... *sigh, can only hope its ok. I want to get it done proffesionally.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options

Went on fat2fitradio and found 3 choices for calculating body fat %~ I just did all 3 and got:

ORIGINAL METHOD= 28.2%
    MILITARY METHOD= 52%

When I had gotten my BF% a while ago, I did all 3 methods and got 53% for the Military Method. I thought it would be better to go with the highest number. (????) That's what I've been doing........

From what I understand the covert bailey is better suited for women. But if ya can afford it getting it professionally done would be the best bet!
  • rosied915
    Options

ORIGINAL METHOD= 28.2%
    MILITARY METHOD= 52%

From what I understand the covert bailey is better suited for women. But if ya can afford it getting it professionally done would be the best bet!

I gotta admit, thinking of myself as over 50% FAT is depressing although I've come to accept and move on.

Maybe after I complete Stage 1 of NROL4W I'll get it done professionally.

Just one more note on Scooby~ the page I did the BMR, TDEE etc calculations was titled "The World's Most Accurate Calorie Calculator" and it gives you the method selections I've mentioned.

There is ANOTHER page titled plain "Fat Loss Calorie Calculator" where you just get your numbers and that's it. (THAT page's numbers were entirely different from ALL the others)
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I did a lot of research on this a while back and this is the conclusion I came to for myself.

I still use the StJeor.

Reason being

Harris-Benedict is a bit outdated, and was taken from an average of lean males back in the day.

Katch-McCardle - You need to have your BF% measured professionally for this. I found the tape measure method for measuring body fat % is NOT accurate, in my case.

Also the BF% methods ONLY take into account LEAN BODY MASS. They do not take into account the calories fat consumes. Fat is not metabolically inert, so requires intake above and beyond.

Katch-McCardle is great if 1) you have your professionally accurate BF%, and 2) are close to you goal weight without a lot of extra fat.

For me, the St Jeor method is the best one to start with. It gets you in the ballpark of what you need, a calorie wise. You can adjust up or down, after knowing how your body responds to the calories you are take in.

Remember .... the whole process is about learning what your body needs. ALL calculators are scientific best guesses. It gets you most of the way, and the rest of the way is to figure out/experiment on your own body.

Hope this helps :)

For everyone who starts this I still recommend the St Jeor (the normal SCooby calc).

Mike
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Mike which normal scooby calculator? The one I used said it is based on Harris Benedict. Do you have a link for the one you used?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Never mind I found it :)
  • rosied915
    Options
    Mike which normal scooby calculator? The one I used said it is based on Harris Benedict. Do you have a link for the one you used?

Never mind~ you found it:wink:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just go by the regular scooby calculator - Not the next one that says accurate and asks more questions....I just try to keep it simple with height, weight, age, etc....The others to me are off b/c it's so hard to know what the right BF% is...
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I had just been using the scooby calculator with Harris Benedict as the default, too. I don't know my BF% so I couldn't do the other two, but there's only a 4 calorie difference between Harris Benedict and the Mifflin-St. Jeor one for me.