New on here

Options
rramroop
rramroop Posts: 4 Member
Hi i have an Under active thyroid i am on 125mcg of Thyroxine daily. I am finding it very very hard to lose weight even a few pounds. It really demotivating Please please any advise welcome & support. Thanks in advance. xxx
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:
    Sorry you're feeling discouraged. What method are you using to lose wt.? Do you know the foods that hinder thyroid? There are supplements that help, and most have gone to high protein/low carb - gluten free. Exercise is also absolutely essential.

My wt. loss has been really slow, but its moving in the right direction. :bigsmile:
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hi i have an Under active thyroid i am on 125mcg of Thyroxine daily. I am finding it very very hard to lose weight even a few pounds. It really demotivating Please please any advise welcome & support. Thanks in advance. xxx
    :flowerforyou:

Education first - understand how your thyroid works and then insist that your doctor treat your symptoms -- such as weight loss. If he won't then time to find another doctor. you are more than just a lab test.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
  • blumenL
    blumenL Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I've been logging on and off for a few months and have an under-active thyroid myself. I'm slowing learning all that this means for me and my body and encourage you to do as much research as possible! Also, DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING EVERYONE SAYS! You're body is your own and only you know it best! For me, I found it takes usually an extra month before the scale starts moving and I have to be VERY conscious of what I eat if I want to get results. It's tough, but hang in there! Welcome to MFP!!!
  • pamelaf2
    pamelaf2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    New to this forum. I have been hypothyroid for about 30 years now. I was curious with the comment that there that some foods could hinder thyroid. Could you elaborate on this?
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Here is an excerpt from women to women health. Hope it helps, you can also google thyroid health, There is so much online.

Avoid Goitrogens
    Excessive ingestion of certain foods can block iodine from being absorbed by the thyroid gland; these include: turnips, cabbage, mustard, cassava root, pine nuts, millet, peanuts, and soybeans. Until your thyroid health is restored, you may want to avoid these foods completely. When your thyroid is healthy again and you no longer have symptoms, you could include them occasionally, but I recommend that you never eat them daily. The foods to watch out for most are soybean oil in salad dressing, textured vegetable protein used as a filler, and peanut butter.. These products are included in many commercially packaged foods. It is interesting to note that in Asian cultures soy is only eaten in small quantities and in forms that have been fermented.
    Avoid Goitrogens
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Goiterogens are foods that somehow encourage or cause the growth of goiters on the thyroid --
    I would say completely, 100% avoide SOY or anything with SOYBEAN or SOY by-products. SOY is in a lot of things, so read labels.

Cruciferous vegetables like: cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach -- are foods to avoid in raw form. Bur if you cook them, the goiterogen impact is removed. My ND encourages me to eat these veggies as long as they are cooked.

I have seen lots of documentation about avoiding peanuts and peanut butter -- I don't really eat them, but don't 100% avoid either.

Then, just remember to avoid calcium for at least 2 hours before or after you take your thyroid meds. Calcium blocks the absorption of the meds.

There are a few other things on the list but these are the ones I worry about the most -- you can google "foods to avoid when hypothryroid" and will find a lot.

Most importantly, get educated about how your thyroid works -- don't let doctors lead you around by your nose, telling you that your levels are normal while you feel like crap.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I will be totally honest with you - educating yourself will be confusing AND frustrating as he**. I have been hypothyroid for YEARS but very recently got referred to a wonderful Endo that is truly helping me. I didnt research and educate myself many years ago when first diagnosed. The Dr. said - your thyroid is low, here is some Levothyroxine.. I took it. I went back, she said, your thyroid is normal, keep taking the Levo. Thats what I did. I have been through a horrific time trying to get where I am now and that is on the road to feeling at least partially normal. I read things every day that make me want to SCREAM at my former Dr.'s. Then I read things that make me do the mental forehead slap thing and I think "duh"!! Not everything is the same for everyone but what I have found helpful:
    *This site and this forum - there are a lot of people on here that have already done the research. I ask questions and then double check their answers (no offense, I do this in every aspect of my life). They are knowledgeable. Most of them. :)
    *A low carb diet has helped me VERY much. Yes, the weight is coming off slowly but I feel better and its coming off.
    *Look into coconut oil and thyroid benefits. Google it
    *Stop the thyroid madness website is a real eye opener
    *Armour thyroid made a difference in how I feel in just 3 weeks after taking LEVO for YEARS with no symptom relief.
    *Google "thyroid and nutrition" or "nutrition for hypothyroidism"

Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Goiterogens are foods that somehow encourage or cause the growth of goiters on the thyroid --
    I would say completely, 100% avoide SOY or anything with SOYBEAN or SOY by-products. SOY is in a lot of things, so read labels.

Cruciferous vegetables like: cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach -- are foods to avoid in raw form. Bur if you cook them, the goiterogen impact is removed. My ND encourages me to eat these veggies as long as they are cooked.

I have seen lots of documentation about avoiding peanuts and peanut butter -- I don't really eat them, but don't 100% avoid either.

Then, just remember to avoid calcium for at least 2 hours before or after you take your thyroid meds. Calcium blocks the absorption of the meds.

There are a few other things on the list but these are the ones I worry about the most -- you can google "foods to avoid when hypothryroid" and will find a lot.

Most importantly, get educated about how your thyroid works -- don't let doctors lead you around by your nose, telling you that your levels are normal while you feel like crap.

^^ This!