Ladies point of view!

Options
navydentalchic
navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
HI!! I am starting Monday and I am curious about the ladies. How long before you started noticing a difference? My hubby lost fast, but seems men shed faster than women. How do you feel? HOw did you get over the chocolate cravings? ;) Thanks!

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    On Atkins, I started losing right away, as everyone does. I've lost about 90 lbs in 7 1/2 months. I feel better than I ever have in my life, my blood chemistry is down to normal and I'm healthier and happier than I've been my entire life. :happy:

First, your taste buds will change. I was absolutely a chocoholic, especially dark chocolate. I started having whey and almond milk shakes each day, with added cocoa of course, post work out. This was enough to satisfy my need for chocolate and sweets. I'm taking a break from them at the moment because I'm trying to win the Biggest Loser at my office. :ohwell:
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm following the metabolism miracle book. I've lost almost 10 lbs in 35 days. I have hashimotos hypothyroidism so for me it's been a miracle. My TOM this month was soo much more manageable.
    What happened to me was that the first week was extremely hard. I ate a lot more vegetables than I'm used too. My chocolate cravings were sometimes very stressful...but I perservered. I was crabby, tired, anxious. I truly believe I was detoxing. The book said it takes about three days to get over these feelings. Unfortunately for me it was almost two weeks.
    Now I don't crave carbs. My food is pretty habitual now. I can resist foods easier. I just cooked cheese tortellini with garlic bread for my husband and kids and had no desire for any of it. I've taken the kids out for ice cream and had nothing. I didn't stress out at all. In about 4 weeks I'll be introducing more carbs slowly. I'm nervous about that. But I realize that in real life I'll have to manage carbs in all situations.
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    I am hoping my cravings will be curbed. I am filipino, so I grew up eating rice at every meal. This will be hard, but I know with will power I can change things. :)
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    HI!! I am starting Monday and I am curious about the ladies. How long before you started noticing a difference? My hubby lost fast, but seems men shed faster than women. How do you feel? HOw did you get over the chocolate cravings? ;) Thanks!

i eat dark dark chocolate, so i never have cravings. it's pretty low carb too.
    the first 5 or 10 pounds won't be noticeable. i didnt notice til 25.

take before pics (and then every 2 weeks) and measure yourself. best advice i can give.
    also, don't give up! even if you cheat, just get back on the wagon. don't kill yourself over a cheat day.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am hoping my cravings will be curbed. I am filipino, so I grew up eating rice at every meal. This will be hard, but I know with will power I can change things. :)

If you decide to follow a low-carb intake, you will... and I can guarantee this: you will have the typical withdrawals...

Foggy headaches, for some it can be an increased hunger because your body is missing that normal bad-carb you used to eat more often, irritability, etc.... You will want to grab that bowl of rice... you may even want to grab a big honkin'-huge bar of Hershey's chocolate.... but.... if you are truly wanting to follow a low-carb intake.. you will do this because you are wanting to make positive changes..

Make sure to keep well hydrated with water... get your carbohydrates from fresh vegetables, berries, nuts, etc. Plenty of proteins and fats to help balance it all together....

This will require some good meal planning and preparedness on your part.

It can be done.... Ill tell you right now.. I dont miss the chocolate... I can actually eat two "Special Dark" Hershey's Dark Chocolate kisses, and be done for a week... I have a very large bag of it at work, and its still almost as if it wasnt opened... I share with others at work for whoever needs a 'fix', lol!!!!!

I dont miss the breads, pasta, rice, corn - I dont crave it at all.... but I made sure to be extra diligent to keep it out of my daily intake....

How you choose to manage your intake will be up to you, but, it will need some good planning...

You can do this!
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to make sure you eat plenty of fat. I know it seems all wrong to start with, and you get scared because we have always been told eat fat get fat. But eating enough fat makes all the difference. Put butter on vegetables, lots of olive oil on your salad, cream in your coffee or tea (I now have unsalted butter in my coffee, and enjoy it). Eat plenty of protein. Once your body gets the idea that food is plentyfull, and it needs to burn fat for energy, you will start to feel fantastic. Good luck with things, this way of eating will make such a difference to, not only your weight , but to your sense of well being. :)
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There was little weight lost after the first week but what I really noticed is how lose my clothes were. More weight fell off and clothes got looser. Most of the weight at first will be water weight but be patient and keep a tap measure at hand.

As far as cravings go, they really were not too bad for me, I had already been trying to do a low calorie diet before I gave that up and went with Low Carb. So I had limited the bad things I loved already. I don't even think about having bread, rice, pasta or tortillas any more.

Also, I think when that new burst of engery shows up that you haven't had before, you won't have any problems sticking with your plan.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to make sure you eat plenty of fat.

I have six varieties of compound butter in my freezer for all different types of dishes... and its uber-yummy!!!!!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Within 2 days I lose a ton of stomach bloat and can wear my formerly tight pants. It's a great feeling! If I go back to too many carbs, I know that if I start back with the low carb I'll feel so much better and that bloat will go away.

For chocolate cravings, chocolate protein shakes, atkins bars, cocoa powder mixed with whipped cream, dark chocolate bar. Last night I made a take on this--obviously omit the sugar (maple syrup/agave) for low carb. But it's yummy, the fat and protein combo is nice and satiating.

http://fitnessista.com/2011/01/ballz-for-all/
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

I have six varieties of compound butter in my freezer for all different types of dishes... and its uber-yummy!!!!!

Ooh, I would love to know more about this! What flavors, what you put them on? My only ideas are garlic and parsley butter on a steak....
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to make sure you eat plenty of fat. I know it seems all wrong to start with, and you get scared because we have always been told eat fat get fat. But eating enough fat makes all the difference. Put butter on vegetables, lots of olive oil on your salad, cream in your coffee or tea (I now have unsalted butter in my coffee, and enjoy it). Eat plenty of protein. Once your body gets the idea that food is plentyfull, and it needs to burn fat for energy, you will start to feel fantastic. Good luck with things, this way of eating will make such a difference to, not only your weight , but to your sense of well being. :)

^^^this too^^^
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just finished my first week and the scale didn't move, but I will get the hubby to measure me tonight. I have actually done pretty welll in regards to cravings. :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Ooh, I would love to know more about this! What flavors, what you put them on? My only ideas are garlic and parsley butter on a steak....

I'm with cramernh here- flavoured butter in the freezer is so handy to just get out, cut off a chunk and use in cooking or as a sauce/seasoning on meat or in veggies. I mix my chosen ingedients into butter and spoon it onto a rectangle of cling film (I think this is called 'saran wrap' sp? in the US???) fold in half and then roll into a sausage shape, twisting the ends and securing with string (or sandwich bag ties). My favourite flavours are:

- chilli & Lime (fresh red chilli finely chopped & lime zest & hint of juice, good with fish, chicken, prawns/shrimp and mexican style dishes).

- Sage & black pepper (Fresh finely chopped sage leaves & Coarse black pepper- great with turkey or pork).

- Coriander (Cilantro) & Garlic (add chilli too if you wish- great with all meats/fish & veg and adds a fresh clean oriental/asian flavour)

- Basil (ommmmm, fresh green basil- blended into the butter with a little sea salt. Great for stuffed mushrooms).

- Sundried tomato- you dont need much to get plenty of flavour, great with chicken & fish.

- Parsley & garlic- it's a classic for mushrooms & steak!!

- Blue cheese (crumble strong blue cheese into the butter & mix- fantastic on steaks and divine melted onto cauli or broccoli or mixed through spinach/greens).

- Lemon pepper (Simple but works very well with pork, chicken or fish/seafood).

- Mint & Parsley (good with lamb or greek style meat dishes like souvlaki).

- Dill & Lemon zest (Lovely with fish, especially with salmon, smoked salmon & scrambled eggs

-Tarragon (Good with chicken & cream sauce, pork chops, roast chicken/turkey).