The dreaded plateau please help!

Hi All. I am new to this group and starting losing weight before mfp in total I have lost 26lbs but now the scale hasnt budged. I have 17lbs to go. My net calories were 1200 but I am working out everyday and I think tthats too little even though I am not extremely active. I do workout 7 days a week 5 days I would say are fairly intense. I am 5'10 177lb woman 32years old. Any help would be appreciated. I have no Idea what my net calories should be anymore. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    If you are exercising basically every day I would consider upping your net intake to at LEAST 1400 and eating back some of what you have burned.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi there!

Let me tell you right away, that 1200 or 1400 are not enough for you.
    I have run your numbers and your BMR is 1597
    Your TDEE is 2755
    And 10% cut of your TDEE is 2480
    15% cut would be 2342

So that's would you should be eating every day-2342 or 2480 kcal with a 10 or 15% calorie reduction. If you reduce more (below BMR) you will put your body into starvation mode. You don't need to eat exercise calories back, unless you have really high burns, so you don't net your BMR.
    If you have been on VLCD for a long time, you might wanna consider a metabolism reset. That's 8 weeks of eating TDEE to repair your metabolism and get it going again.

Hope that helps
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    You need to fuel your body, otherwise it will not shed any fat. It will hold onto everything you out in. And you will even gain while being on low cals and over-exersicing.
  • Thank you so much! I actually did gain a pound. My body fat is 27% which is healthy according to Fat2fit andI want to get to 21% body fat so I need to lose 14 more lbs. I feel so silly eating that low. It told me my bmr is 1604 so should that be my net calories? Or should I follow the chart telling me to eat 2300 calories period for my activity level? I want to lose 2lbs a week. It was telling me to eat like 2500 calories a day but that was for when I reach my goal weight. Thank you so much I just wanna get this right
  • Noor, thanks so much, I reread your post. I was originally eating more, I have been doing 1200 net calories for about 6 or 8 weeks some days I burn 5 or 6 hundred calories. I am starting today going to make a signifant increase I reread what you wrote and it was a tremendous help. Thank all of you :-)
  • You are a life saver :-)
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Hey, EMTWL is a healthy lifestyle that you will be able to maintain...for life. Unlike eating 1200-1400 daily. I say that to soften the next words...if you're gonna do this thing, you're gonna have to banish that whole 2lb/week expectation. This is a slow process of giving your body the calories that it really needs and giving your body the time to adjust to all the positive changes. I can about guarantee though that if you do this thing right you will absolutely never regret it. So, read all the stickies about what to expect when upping calories and such and get ready to change your life for the better! Hahaha, that was super cheesey...but true!

Ok, as for your numbers, do what Noor said. Set your macro goals to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Set sodium to 2500 and fiber to 30. Buy a measuring tape and take your measurements. Get a hammer and whack the *kitten* out of your scale. Or, ya know, hide it in a closet or something. Browse through some of our diaries for ideas on how to get the huge amount if protein in daily.

I think that's all I got. Welcome to the group!
  • Thank you sooo much and you are right. I want to be healthy. I have done so many crazy fads and it was horrible. Ive been eating less and working out but its has hit a bump because I am eating to little. I am so glad I found this group. I realize my mistakes and I am ready to make the right changes to have a lean, healthy, fit body. I am changing my calories now, I will love being able to lose weight, gain muscle and eat more lol!
  • I love how blunt you are lol. Ive been obsessing over the scale weighing myself alot. Im gonna put that damn thing away and fuel my body better!