Relatively new and in need of advice :)

Options
CassieReannan
CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
Hey guys, just a little confused on something (probably see these posts 50+ times a day :laugh: ).
I have been here almost 3 months, lost 24lb already but am not sure on my calorie net intake.

Okay so I walk about 40 minutes 3x a week (on average 250 - 300 calories burned a session) and switch up from time to time on the exercise bike or do sit ups. I am currently eating 1700 calories a day (I eat some or all calories back on exercise days) but recently have had a some trouble losing weight consistently. Plus trouble with water!

I am 19 years old and weigh 228lb or 104kg.
TDEE: 2400 or so
BMR: 1800
Macros 45% carb, 30% fat, 25% protein (vegetarian, never hit target properly)

I know I shouldn't be eating under BMR but 1700 a day was working well for me for a while. Should I up calories? :indifferent:

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, just a little confused on something (probably see these posts 50+ times a day :laugh: ).
    I have been here almost 3 months, lost 24lb already but am not sure on my calorie net intake.

Okay so I walk about 40 minutes 3x a week (on average 250 - 300 calories burned a session) and switch up from time to time on the exercise bike or do sit ups. I am currently eating 1700 calories a day (I eat some or all calories back on exercise days) but recently have had a some trouble losing weight consistently. Plus trouble with water!

I know I shouldn't be eating under BMR but 1700 a day was working well for me for a while. Should I up calories? :indifferent:

Hello and welcome! Yes, you should up your calories to about 2040 per day. Give it about 6 weeks and you should start to see some turn around. You may not lose weight initially, and may actually see a little gain, but it will be water weight, not fat weight. Be patient, get rid of the scale for a little while, and you should see some changes. Also, just to clarify, this number includes your exercise calories, so unless you burn more than 240 calories, you will not eat back your exercise calories. Most people set their calories on MFP as a custom goal and keep their cut number in their mind.
    You never want to net below your BMR. There is a video that explains this really well, I would highly recommend watching it.

I hope that helps a little.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

Hello and welcome! Yes, you should up your calories to about 2040 per day. Give it about 6 weeks and you should start to see some turn around. You may not lose weight initially, and may actually see a little gain, but it will be water weight, not fat weight. Be patient, get rid of the scale for a little while, and you should see some changes. Also, just to clarify, this number includes your exercise calories, so unless you burn more than 240 calories, you will not eat back your exercise calories. Most people set their calories on MFP as a custom goal and keep their cut number in their mind.
    You never want to net below your BMR. There is a video that explains this really well, I would highly recommend watching it.

I hope that helps a little.

2040? I may have to up it slowly to get used to it.