Great info from a shady web-site

heidi5k
heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
I was deep into reading about some case studies re: calorie restriction when I realized the website is called "Scientific Psychic", and has links to a bunch of hoo-ha about paranormal activity, etc.

Anyhow, the material that's posted there citing calorie restriction studies is pretty sweet, and certainly backs up what's being talked about in EMTWL. (I'll have to see if i can find this material on a more credible sounding site...)

These paragraphs in particular are pretty sweet (although in rather academic language):

"A calculated caloric deficit does not imply that a person will lose weight. When a person achieves material and energy equilibrium with fewer calories, the calculated caloric deficit reflects an adaptation to lower calorie consumption compared to the subjects from which the equations were derived. The Biosphere-2 experiment[8] showed that the BMR of the biospherians were approximately 6% lower than those of the control subjects after adjustment for age, sex, fat-free mass, and fat mass. <b>Other experiments have shown that the basal metabolic rate can decrease by approximately 12% in three weeks of a 40% calorie restricted diet, but without reaching material equilibrium.[9] A pioneering six-month semistarvation study by Keys[10] showed that severe energy restriction decreased BMR in absolute terms by 39% and also relative to the weight of metabolically active tissue by 16%. Another study published in 2007 showed that after 3 months of a 25% CR diet, the BMR of calorie-restricted individuals was 91 kcalories per day less than the BMR of the control subjects.[12]<b> The authors concluded that BMR adapted or decreased beyond values expected from changes in weight and body composition as a result of energy deficit.

Experiments of 20 days of overeating have also shown that <b>overfeeding causes a variable increase (1-18%) in basal metabolic rate <b> but no change in metabolic rate during light exercise.[11] This suggests that the BMR adapts to the level of food availability over a period of several days or weeks, but it is not easily affected by demands for energy of short duration."

The site is http://www.scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html

The "Calorie Calculator" is interesting, in that the "control twin" (someone with all my specs and activity level, but at a healthy BMI and weight) is eating almost the exact # suggested by Scooby.

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    I just checked it out...It's pretty interesting but a little confusing to me...I might check it out later too once I have finished my coffee for the morning and can probably understand it better...lol

Thanks for sharing though!! :)
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    I posted the OP, but have to keep drinking MORE coffee to understand it! lol Here's a breakdown:

MAIN TAKEAWAY:
    - After only only 3 weeks of a VLCD, one's BMR is lowered by 12% on average.
    - After 3 months of a 25% reduction diet, BMR is 91 KCalories less than control group

ON THE OTHER HAND:

- "Overeating" for 20 days causes an increase in BMR from 1-18%

- (Not sure what overeating means in this context, but I think it's clear that the further you are from adequately fueling your body, the more difficult it will be to maintain weight loss. The closer you are to fueling your body, the more easily you'll maintain and lose over time.)
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Thanks for explaining that better for me...I just finished my 2nd cup now so maybe that did the trick....lol :)