Stuck...Am I eating too much, to little or over training?

I have been stuck for over 8 weeks with no loss. So I have been netting my BMR each day and the scale has frozen. When I began this in January I did the 1200 cal./day for 2 months then upped it to my BMR and did not eat back my exercise cals and for the first 4 months I lost 16 lbs. Then I started netting my BMR by eating back my exercise calories. For exercise to get these numbers: I workout 6 days a week burning anywhere from 450 to 850 cals. a day. I do circuit training, strength, and cardio in the form of Insanity DVD's, jogging, and I am now throwing in some P90X and a Barre Method class. I am debating with giving up the whole EMTLW and going back to what worked in the past. The past three days I lowered my BMR by 100 cals just to see if that would help but no movement yet. (Also, this Saturday was not a typical food day...I was the designated driver at a Beer Festival and not much to choose from to eat.) Do any of you have any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Am I eating too much, to little, overtraining? Please help me with ideas at to why I am stuck. I am opening my info. up so you can see what I have been eating and exercising.

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    My weight has been up about 2lb from start netting BMR. I've never felt better and I am gaining muscle so while I am still "squishy" I am getting to my goal. So I am not about to change anything.

Sometimes bodies take longer than others. Looks like we're on the "really long time" boat together.
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Do any of you have any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Am I eating too much, to little, overtraining? Please help me with ideas at to why I am stuck. I am opening my info. up so you can see what I have been eating and exercising.

Can you post your stats? Age, weight, height?

what method did you use to get your daily cut? netting your bmr daily sounds like you aren't eating enough. what do you have for your bmr, tdee, and cut?

Did you use this to obtain your bmr and tdee?
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    It is recommended that you net a little above your BMR, but never below. Even if you have just a few days where you are under your BMR, that might be enough to stall your progress.
    A better method would be to figure out your TDEE and cut 15% off. Also, if you've been eating a very low calorie diet for an extended period of time (4-6 months), it may be time for you to do a metabolism reset or diet break before continuing on in your journey. Alot of people who were stuck have found success with this method.
  • HannahPTA
    HannahPTA Posts: 39
    Do any of you have any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Am I eating too much, to little, overtraining? Please help me with ideas at to why I am stuck. I am opening my info. up so you can see what I have been eating and exercising.

what method did you use to get your daily cut? netting your bmr daily sounds like you aren't eating enough. what do you have for your bmr, tdee, and cut?

Here are my stats:
    41 year old Female
    Weight:164 lbs.
    Height: 5' 5"

According to Scooby..Scooby..Do my stats should be:
    BMR: 1479
    TDEE: 2293
    Cut of -15%: 1949
    Cut of -20%: 1834

I have been eating my net BMR since the workouts end up going over the cut values almost daily. I typically meet my protein/carb/and fiber goals but always am under on the fat. I am using the 40/30/30 ratio recomended on EMTLW. I have not done a reset I just went with the cut since I had only been dieting below my BMR for 4 months. My Personal Trainer says my problem is I should not eat back my exercise calories and I should drop my intake to either at BMR or 100 below it. There is so much advice out there about what you should and should not do it is confusing. I do like the muscle I have retained and/or gained and I do like being able to lift more than my trainer! My upper body is close to where I want it but my 5 kids (including twins) belly needs work. There is a awsome set of muscles going on under there but I need to shed some more weight before I will get to really see it. I really want to shred this fat off so I can just maintain and push myself on the workouts. Being unsure about my diet and worrying about why the scale is stuck is super annoying and makes this a drag. I can eat at any level and be happy but I do want to get this part of the journey over and meet my goal.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member

Here are my stats:
    41 year old Female

I have been eating my net BMR since the workouts end up going over the cut values almost daily. I typically meet my protein/carb/and fiber goals but always am under on the fat. I am using the 40/30/30 ratio recomended on EMTLW. I have not done a reset I just went with the cut since I had only been dieting below my BMR for 4 months. My Personal Trainer says my problem is I should not eat back my exercise calories and I should drop my intake to either at BMR or 100 below it. There is so much advice out there about what you should and should not do it is confusing. I do like the muscle I have retained and/or gained and I do like being able to lift more than my trainer! My upper body is close to where I want it but my 5 kids (including twins) belly needs work. There is a awsome set of muscles going on under there but I need to shed some more weight before I will get to really see it. I really want to shred this fat off so I can just maintain and push myself on the workouts. Being unsure about my diet and worrying about why the scale is stuck is super annoying and makes this a drag. I can eat at any level and be happy but I do want to get this part of the journey over and meet my goal.

If you are consistently having to eat more calories to get back to BMR because your burn was too high then you might want to re-run your numbers using the next higher activity level. You might be underestimating your activity level.
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Here are my stats:
    41 year old Female

We are almost the same age/stats, and I have much less of an activity schedule than you seem to have, and that's what I eat and am losing. I do 3 x a week strength (40 mins or so), and 3 -4 hours per week walking.

I think you should follow momofmy5's advice, and do the reset for a few weeks eating at your tdee, at the next higher activity level. Once your reset is done, stay at that activity level and take your 15% cut
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    I would definitely say that you are eating too little:
    With your stats on the scooby site http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ these are the numbers I came up with for you....Based on you exercising 6dys/wk I put you at strenuous exercise and a 15% cut....Remember only eat the CUT amount unless you go under BMR then you eat until you at least reach your BMR b/c the CUT amount includes exercise...It sounds like you are eating too little....Plus you NEVER want to try to eat 100 under BMR b/c this will wreak havoc on your body again....And it is recommended not to do -20% of TDEE...

BMR: 1474
    TDEE: 2543
    CUT (-15%): 2162 calories per day

So you should eat 2162 calories each day and make sure that you are consistent with this...You should be able to burn upto 688 calories before you should have to eat to reach BMR this way...I hope this helps...Best of luck!!

ETA: Or you could try to lower your exercise amount b/c you may be overtraining like you said...B/c it does sound like you are exercising quite a bit...
  • HannahPTA
    HannahPTA Posts: 39
    Thanks so much for the advice! I appreciate it.