Progesterone cream

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Has anyone tried progesterone cream whilst going through peri-menopause?

Did it help with weight loss and fat around stomach?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm using bio-identical progesterone cream from a compounding pharmacy (i.e.: by prescription).
    Here's what I know: the over the counter stuff helped with PMS in my early 40s.
    Then it didn't.
    I started gaining weight about 2 years ago.
    About 10 months ago my doc gave me the progesterone.

Night sweats are better
    General bloating is SO MUCH BETTER
    I no longer want to strangle my innocent, and very supportive husband.
    And I've lost about 9 LBS. (i'd been trying for a year).
    My belly is still the biggest part, however.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used emerita cream for a few months, and it seemed rather hit-or-miss in results, and then I was prescribed herbal phytoestrogen, which helped with headaches and--oh, feelings of youthfulness somehow, and maybe not really obvious weight loss/gain, but something having to do with it. I was on it two months and ran out, and find myself much crankier and semi-pre-menstrual feeling all the time since I ran out of it maybe a week or two back, so I ordered more. For me, the phytoestrogen pills were more helpful, maybe due to the dose being easy to regulate--
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    ok thanks.. I had bought some a while back was using it with view to shrinking fibroids rather than actually losing weight. It didn't seem to be doing much but then I got seriously into the weight loss thing last June after realising I had put on another stone (originally had gone from 9st 7 to 16st from thyroid going wrong then got down to 11st 7 over several years)

After a year of been gluten free and managing to build up the amount of exercise I can do I've lost 3st and back down to 9st 7.. I'm struggling to lose the last 3lbs, still trying to double exercise but that's made more water go on!

I found the cream whilst sorting bedroom and was just wondering if started using it again if tummy would go down a bit more. My tummy is still also my biggest area and unexpectedly lost loads of boobs (gone from 40" to 34 ") which wasn't my aim I was just trying to lose my tummy!

I think the fibroids must have shrunk as they appeared to be pressing on my bladder and I was having major issues with that and no longer have those issues as the weight has come off.

I'm not sure if this is as much as tummy will shrink for now cos fibroid is still there or what? I was told the fibroid would naturally shrink as my oestrogen levels reduced through the menopause so reluctant to go on HRT as surely thats replacing the oestrogen you're losing so therefore the fibroid would grow again?

I can never remember the dates I'm meant to start and stop the cream though!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You may find that you gain a couple of pounds of water in the beginning. I did. But then I lost.

The general instructions are: a "crescendo" pattern from ovulation to period, then stop when your period comes if you get one.

I've been doing 1/4 of a tea spoon all month, and then adding a bit more from "ovulation" (if I do) to period time (if I get one).