How much fiber?

Options
peasantgirly
peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
I apologize in advance because this is definitely TMI but I figured you guys would know.

Since going LC I have had a lot of trouble getting enough fiber. I've read that the high fat content of this woe will make fiber unnecessary, but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. I never used to go that often anyway (maybe every 2 or 3 days) but I'm only going like once a week now and it's starting to bug me.

Is this normal?

Replies

• dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I tend to get a little stopped up also, I added a fiber supplement to my diet. It only really added 3g of fiber but I feel like it made a difference. But some week are better than others
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a stool softener - my doctor told me it was safe to take every day, and it seems to be doing the trick. I found out the hard way that there is a difference between it and a laxative. (!!!) I am trying to find a way to get more fiber though. I bought some fiber pills, but after the laxative debacle I'm a little scared to take them.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I would try adding flax seed to your food. It's a great addition to shakes for even salads. It's carb count and fiber count are pretty much equal so it really helps with this problm
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I would try adding flax seed to your food. It's a great addition to shakes for even salads. It's carb count and fiber count are pretty much equal so it really helps with this problm
    The MIM muffin recipe. Low carb tastes great and works with you know:sick:
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

I've tried a fiber supplement, but it didn't seem to be helping. Maybe I wasn't taking enough?

I've actually got flax seed. It kinda got pushed to the back of the fridge and I forgot about it. I'll start using it again.

Tracy, what brand of stool softener do you use?
  • NerdyTXChick
    Options
    I always get store brand stuff, so it was either Great Value (Walmart) or Krogers. I'll look at the bottle when I get home and let you know.
  • NerdyTXChick
    Options
    Okay, its Equate (Walmart) Stool Softener (Docusate Sodium) 100MG. I take one a night, although you can take up to 3. I should note that it says on the bottle not to take for longer than one week unless directed by a doctor, so I would definitely check with your doctor even though mine gave me the okay to take it indefinitely (you may have different circumstances than I do). Hope that helps!
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I try to get 20 to 30 gm of fiber each day. I usually take 3 Tbs of psyllium and I take 250 mg of magnesium. The rest comes from veggies
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I try to get 15 grams. That is enough to keep "regular" for me.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I was also struggling until I made peace with spinach and other leafy greens.

I try to get 15g a day.

I also take Omega 3 oil 3 times a day which I think is helping just going on (literally) gut feel, dunno why, might just be the effect of the oil. I can recommend that too if you aren't supplementing, I think it has improved my mood no end.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting yourself a good probiotic. Natural Factors is a good brand and they work so well. Not fiber but I can asure you will be regular in a good way.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I had same issues before low carbing. It used to get so bad I had to consume a drink made of Sienna Pods or a pill.
    However, there are many solutions! If you are not in Induction then you can add:

Flaxmeal - Works wonders
    Chia Seeds - I buy a UK brand and they have 6gr. of fibers in the 15 gr. sachet, and 3 carbs. 3 well spent carbs if I may say so!
    Wheat bran - just a tbsp sprinled over your veggies
    Have a tbsp of olive oil with a big glass of water first thing in the morning (you may want to try this on your day off just to see how fast it works for you)

You can also try these dietary supplements:
    Probiotics
    Psyllium Husks

Personally I mainly go with Flaxmeal, Chia Seeda and wheat bran, no need of supplements after I started consuming these foods!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    The MIM muffin recipe. Low carb tastes great and works with you know:sick:

Well I second that! And you can make them in so many different tastes that you'll never get bored of them!