hello... quick into... :-)

Options
Kara_xxx
Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
Hi there,

I started a thread and one of your members kindly pointed me here. We're a busy couple but try to cook from scratch whereever possible.

Once we've moved and have a bigger garden I'd love to grow stuff and have chickens. :-D I try to shop at our local farmers market because the quality is great and I love to support local business.

I'm looking forward to learn from folk here... Yesterday I gutted my first fresh sardines from the fish market and baked my first loaf of rye bread. Both turned out edible much to my surprise. :-D

Replies

• fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

I saw the same thread and was pointed in this direction. I've been into cooking for years, thanks to my dad (who was a chef at a family-owned restaurant in his younger years) - was helping him make choux pastry at the age of 10, which I suppose says it all!

Over the weekend I made glazed gammon so now have a full pot of ham stock on the cooker at home, with which I'll make some sort of soup tonight. Any suggestions??

Cheers :smile:
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    oooh... my German grandma made a dish called "Wirsingeintopf", which is a cabbage stew. :bigsmile:

It's quite simple...

You need the meat of the neck of pork and some streaky bacon, a savoy cabbage, potatos and carrots and an onion. Spices added are caraway seeds, salt and pepper.

You pre-fry the bacon and meat first with the onions, then add your ham stock. You shred a savoy cabbage, cube some potatos, chop an oinion and slice some carrots which all go into your ham stock. Add your spices and let the whole thing simmer for 20-30 mins depending on how you like your vegetables.

A childhood favourite of mine. :flowerforyou:
  • freeli
    freeli Posts: 43
    Options
    got here from the same thread. I loooove Wirsing/savoy cabbage! recipe sounds fantastic!
  • fontinathefox
    fontinathefox Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying out low-carbing this week so sadly no potatoes! I was thinking of making a pea and ham soup - I've just checked the carbs for petit pois (which is what I've got in the freezer) and it says 6g/100g but someone mentioned that peas are high in carbs so now I'm confused!
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    oopsy I just noticed the title should have read "quick intro" not into... :embarassed: