Clean Eating

Options
Still learning about clean eating. Searching for interesting things to make, try, and buy! Husband has Lyme, so we try to stay as clean as we can. Love all the posts, thanks for sharing.

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Interesting. What are your husband's exact dietary restrictions? Clean means a lot of different things to a lot of people, I've noticed. :)
  • droberts3311
    Options
    Little to no processed food, and NO sugar. As clean as we can, which in today's world is hard to do. I cook mostly veggies, stir fry, sweet potatoe, farro, beans, and game meat. He is a hard worker so I try to give him as much as I can, nuts, fruit. I am just always looking for ideas.
    I am trying to lose 10-15 more pounds but tone as well. Just taking a loooong time to come off, but not giving up! So we can eat pretty much the same way. I hate processed food and the way it makes me feel.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Hmm. For some reason, the first thing that comes to mind is soups. You can take any bean soup mix and replace the spice packet with an onion, some carrots and parsnips, and then some dill and parsley in the last 15 minutes of cooking, and you'll have a good soup. Chicken soup also works.

Does the clean diet allow you to have bread crumbs? A really tasty thing is chopped chicken breast meat, chopped onion, eggs, and bread crumbs or matzah meal as a binding agent. Mix together, form patties, and fry.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    We do eat a lot of soup during the winter time. And I make these cowboy beans which I have renamed cowgirl beans! Because who makes them? Fast and easy, you can just eat them or put them over a salad soooo yummy. I will try the patties because that would be a differant twist during grilling season. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Oh, and if you eat fish, you can use baked salmon instead of ground chicken in the patties recipe.

My favorite way of baking fish in general is to put salmon on a tin-foiled lined pan skin-side down, top with lemon juice, sliced garlic, and panko crumbs, and then bake until the fish is cooked medium-well.

What are cowboy beans? How do you make them?

Gazpacho and borscht could also be good summer soup options, since they're cold. Borscht is a little high in sugar, though.
  • droberts3311
    Options
    Great Value - Light Red Kidney Beans, 1 container
    Great Value (Wal-Mart) - Black Beans (Canned), 1 container
    Sugars - Brown, 0.25 cup, packed packed
    Barbaque Sauce, 1/3 cup
    Great Value - *Ketchup, 5 tbsp
    Generic - Moose Meat Cooked, 10 oz
    Onion cooked w/ meat
    I usually add types of beans, season to taste, you can do so much with this. I eat it plain, on salad. I just love them and they are good for you. Let me know how you like them.
    Also have you tried the Wendy's sweet baked potatoes! Yum, now I make them at home on the grill no sugar, just cin!! Oh so good.
  • threedaydiet
    threedaydiet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Traditional diets include lots of heart healthy fats like cocnut oil, uncooked cold press animal fat, and grass fed meat. All rich in omega 3's
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    Why would you think that coconut oil and animal fat are heart-healthy? They are FULL of saturated fat, which raise cholesterol levels, increasing risk of heart disease and other fun things.

Much better to eat plant-based oils, especially ones like olive oil, which is recommended to help balance cholesterol levels.
  • threedaydiet
    threedaydiet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Go toWeston A Price.org for information. Those fats are what traditional diets are composed of.