Eating clean when the rest of the family doesn't

Options
CourtneyCL
CourtneyCL Posts: 9 Member
Hi, I've been around MFP for a little bit but never joined a group till now and my question is this: How do you eat clean when the rest of your family doesn't?
I'm a SAHM of three kids and my family eats mostly clean foods, simply because I make most of the meals, but they are all very particular about what veggies they eat. If the veggies don't come from a can and aren't cooked to a specific state of mushyness, they won't eat them. This is frustrating to me because I prefer raw or lightly steamed veggies. How would you handle this?
Thanks.

Replies

• snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would serve myself first when the veggies are properly ready and let the veggies steam to mushiness for the rest of them.
  • Pinelmj
    Pinelmj Posts: 3
    Options
    I would follow the previous suggestion and also i would reduce slightly the cooking time of my kids vegetables; shaving a minute everytime, they might not notice. It is worth a try :o)
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    as long as they are eating veggies- prepare them how they like them. I like the idea of slowly reducing the cooking time-lol
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and what I've been doing is making myself a salad for myself when I've made a crock pot meal and no one else wants any veggies or salad. I have no problem eating clean for breakfast and lunch and snacks because I bring my food to work with me every day, but dinner time is a pain, because I either have to make 2 different meals or I modify what I'm going to eat compared to the rest of the family. I can't get my husband off soda and my daugter is 13 and she is starting to try new foods and eat more veggies than she used to, but she gets tired of the "healthy stuff" and then she just doesn't eat enough, so I end up making some of her all time favorites to make sure she eats! Frustrating to be the only one in the house trying to be healthy and exercise! It's been one of my excuses as to why I couldn't lose weight. Now it's all about me and I need to take care of myself because no one else will, so I'm making the best of this situation.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i just dont buy the other stuff and they get hungry and eat the good!
    i also started making veggie and fruit shakes for them to help out =)
  • CourtneyCL
    CourtneyCL Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's a great idea. Thanks!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm the one who buys, hauls, and cooks the food...so they eat what I provide, or starve.

Although, Im having a bit of a rough time getting the hubby and kids to eat clean....we've made some progress but they still gripe about a lot of stuff.
  • skatardrummer
    skatardrummer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Raising kids to eat clean is far easier than trying to get your spouse to do it. You are the provider and raising kids is a social and environmental process. They will learn to eat better. Find inventive ways to cook things they don't like very much. Mediterrainian and vegetable-filled asian inspired plates are some of the most healthy on the planet. Why? They have a colorful plate and it's prepared in a way that most people wouldn't think just about eating vegetables.

I don't have kids, but my fiance lives with my family til after we get married. We buy our own food and have our own fridge. We're equal providers, so it makes the shopping difficult. He is very skinny and eats complete junk. I have to buy things we both like, and sometimes I have to prepare different things...or eat small portions of the main course he likes and make extra vegetables and such for myself to supplement. He's extremely bad at eating leftovers, so it gives me more to put in my lunch throughout the week. The downside is that we cook a lot of food. I hate waste.

I won't make dinner all the time because of this, so eating what he wants will also provide incentive for him to help cook. It's a two-way street.

Try having family cooking nights if your kids are old enough. Have everyone make something they like and make a rule that one has to be from each food group of the pyramid. You'll get a balanced meal and everyone can contribute.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    same problem at my house! I have been using Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook - the one where she sneaks veggies into everything, tacos, spaghetti, brownies, pancakes,... - and my super picky eating hubby has been practically gorging himself on broccoli, and has no idea he's doing it!
  • Serenitypath
    Options
    Jessica Seinfeld's book--yes! Chickpeas in choc chip cookies? The batch was gone faster than ever! Even hubby wasn't suspicious. Also, she recommends setting out fruits n veggies to munch on while dinner is still cooking.

Chobani plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

I've mixed whole grain pasta in with "wacky mac" or reg. spaghetti, increasing the ratio of ww each time--it's a weaning process. For myself, I make spaghetti squash for "spaghetti" (this is advice from Ali Vincent of Biggest Loser)

I like the Steam Fresh Veggies (with no sauce). Everybody adds their own flavor--lemon pepper, season-all, or whatever.

My favorite trick with the kids is: I have a 2 large plastic trays (about 12x15??) in 2 different colors where I set up fun or fancy dishes of raw fruits n veggies. I try to set out a small amount of several items (carrots, celery, whole green beans, snap peas, etc.) then require the kids pick 2 fruits and/or veggies of which they will eat a certain amount in order to "earn" dessert. And we just won't tell them that "sweet bread" (zucchini bread with about 1/2 Tbsp of colorful sprinkles to disguise the green peel) has veggies--or that the fudge is actually made of black beans and dates! (see black bean brownie recipes online)

As far as hubby, I just call a spade a spade. The kids have learned that Daddy is an adult who can make his own choices, but I'm responsible for their well-being.

And every once in a while, they still get to have a soda or a bowl of sugar cereal...just so Daddy isn't the only good guy in the house :wink:
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I dont know the age of oyur kids,. but if they are old enough also explain why. THis is not about weight, it is about health, and being strong and healthy. My husband is incredibly supportive and our 14 year old has completely changed his diet and is eating wonderfully because he understands why its important.