Batwings!!!

Martinigirly
Martinigirly Posts: 13 Member
I am 49 and suddenly noticed that I have batwings. Somehow they crept up as my weight gain occurred and now I want to get rid of them. I have been doing free weights in the gym, but is there any hope? I know this is an area that is nearly impossible to work.

Replies

• MeliciousGibson
    MeliciousGibson Posts: 248 Member
    When you say "batwings", which area specifically are you looking to get rid of? If you hold your arm out to the side, are you talking about underneath? If so:

I would do exercises to build up some lean muscle in your biceps & triceps (curls, kick-backs). Also use a really good moisturizer on your skin. I apply mine right out of the shower - and I never RUB dry, I PAT dry. These things may help...

Even with fairly toned arms, if I'm not actively flexing, I have saggy underarms, too. I'm sorry.
  • Martinigirly
    Thanks for the tips! I think the moisturizer helps. When I extend my arms out to the sides I get the little sacks hanging underneath. I guess it's so vexing because I am finally realizing I am no longer a young woman. The girl I see in the mirror isn't the one I remember being. However, on the bright side life just seems to get better and better. I am healthy (other than the unwanted pounds), happy (recently married) and loving life. I hope everyone gets that mindset at this age!
  • cara4art
    cara4art Posts: 48 Member
    Get serious with hard-core exercises like variants of push-ups(whatever you can manage in whatever form - it will get better with time), pull-ups(assisted most likely until you really get strong enough)and compound exercises in general in the gym. Bodyweight exercises can be surprisingly challenging, but if you're doing weights make them heavy enough so you can do 3 sets or so of 8-10 reps(with the last couple of reps being hard). No "barbie" weights, if you get my drift. Then, on the diet front, get enough protein to build the muscles you will be getting, and eat cleanly so you will lose the fat. Many women by the time they get to middle age have very little muscle left in their arms unless they've been doing something all along. Age-related muscle loss is very real and it only gets worse as one gets older unless one gets on the stick NOW. You'll be surprised at how much you can improve your arms, and whole body in the process. Best of luck and happy training to get those good guns!:)
  • Martinigirly
    Thanks for the tips! I started 3 sets of push ups. I started with 10 but couldn't quite do a 90 degree angle at my elbows. Now I am pretty much there but can't do many. Whenever I am doing things around the house I will drop and do 5 or 10. It definitely is a challenge. I didn't realize how bad my upper body was til now!? The good thing is my legs are super strong so not too many issues there!!!