Is there a trick to step-ups?

Options
Shannonsto
Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
...or am I just a klutz? For the life of me, I can't balance doing them and repeatedly have to put weight on my non-working leg to keep from falling over. I must be doing something wrong??

Replies

• mirrim666
    mirrim666 Posts: 17
    Options
    There's no trick and you're not a klutz. I had the same problem when I started. My trainer said I had to build up the small stabilizer muscles to assist with balance. Keep working at it and try to just touch the toes of the non-working leg to the step to help with your balance.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say; Step-ups are my least favorite of them all!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's why i do them in my yoga socks. i'd prefer to do them barefoot but i'm in a gym so....
    doing any of those balance required exercises like deadlifts, squats, push presses, etc in cushioned sneakers is a bad deal for me. i think that's why so many serious lifter lift in flat soled shoes like converse
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been doing them in my socks too. :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    You're not a klutz- I find them challenging too. I will have to try doing them in my socks.
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try Wednesday
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try a smaller step and once you get used to it build up from there.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble at the beginning with these (and I am very klutzy). I think you have to practice the concentration just as much as the movement. For step-ups I really think about what ROM my legs are going through and how my weight shifts. It gets me into a "zone" and I really think it helps build that mind-muscle connection I keep reading about.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble at the beginning with these (and I am very klutzy). I think you have to practice the concentration just as much as the movement. For step-ups I really think about what ROM my legs are going through and how my weight shifts. It gets me into a "zone" and I really think it helps build that mind-muscle connection I keep reading about.

That's a great point. I think I will try that too. As well as doing them in my socks.