Done with MMOs.. Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've always been a strictly PvP player in MMOs. And the hard part to me was that you couldn't JUST PvP. You had to do SOME form of grinding to be able to keep at your PvP, whether it was acquiring new gear to stay competitive, or buying new ships in EVE. And I just never had the patience for it. EVE was the worst because you couldn't JUST go look for a fight. You could go hunting for hours and not find a single person who would engage you, unless they were baiting a trap for you. I got sick of going on 3+ hour roams that led to not finding anything.

not that Wow PVP Is the best, but doesn't wow have some kind of pvp where you just get equal gear to everyone else and play the game for skill? I'm pretty sure they resolved that particular issue.

I wouldn't know. I stopped back in BC days and sold my account. I got tired of the idea of gear based combat anyway. I never was comfortable with the fact that paper rock scissors > skill and gear > skill.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I stopped playing WoW after Cataclysm was released--and as an aside, I will say I KNOW it contributed to my weight/laziness, but I've been gaming since I was a kid and been eating poorly for years, so it's not the ONLY factor--at that time, I had a pretty geared-out mage who I actually had (have) quite an emotional attachment to. I still keep in touch with so many friends I gained via that game, including my boyfriend, with whom I currently live... we met in an endgame raid guild. I picked up RIFT after giving up WoW, but dropped it soon after, and then went to SWTOR hoping it would be an amazing game since I'm a Star Wars nerd anyway... I loved, loved the storyline while leveling, but was thoroughly disappointed in endgame play and pretty much stopped logging in over the last month or so. My boyfriend still plays.

However, recently I picked up D3 and quickly realized that ALL OF MY REALID FRIENDS are available to talk to and it brought huge waves of nostalgia rushing back. I was a great raider, but I had so much more fun with the social aspect of WoW. I see now that I never really "gave it up" - I still have my FigurePrint sitting on my desk, I have WoW soundtracks on my iPod, and I still crack up anytime I hear clips from Illegal Danish pop on (also on my iPod). I've been seriously thinking about reinvesting in that game if only to play with friends again, but I'm afraid that the Cata world would throw me off... maybe nostalgia is the way to go?

Meh, in any event I think I'll always be a gamer. If Felicia Day can do it and look smokin' hot, so can I.
  • chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Once a gamer, always a gamer. At least to some extent. Me and my fiance were laying in bed cracking WoW puns at each other the other night, so I really love that we have that in common, even if we ARE huge nerds because of it!
  • unassembledandy
    Options
    I've always been a strictly PvP player in MMOs. And the hard part to me was that you couldn't JUST PvP. You had to do SOME form of grinding to be able to keep at your PvP, whether it was acquiring new gear to stay competitive, or buying new ships in EVE. And I just never had the patience for it. EVE was the worst because you couldn't JUST go look for a fight. You could go hunting for hours and not find a single person who would engage you, unless they were baiting a trap for you. I got sick of going on 3+ hour roams that led to not finding anything.

not that Wow PVP Is the best, but doesn't wow have some kind of pvp where you just get equal gear to everyone else and play the game for skill? I'm pretty sure they resolved that particular issue.

I wouldn't know. I stopped back in BC days and sold my account. I got tired of the idea of gear based combat anyway. I never was comfortable with the fact that paper rock scissors > skill and gear > skill.

dude you need to get in GW2 asap..

PVP everyone is auto maxed level, and given exact same gear (upgrades from rewards are purely cosmetic) so its all down to how good you are with your class and build

and you can do this after doing litterally 10 mins MAX PVE, (you have to do the opening quest) and after that you need never PVE again (although you'd miss out on a blinder of a game from what ive played so far)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

No.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    WoW PVP became stupid after they took away all the grinding needed and making it so no one needed to go out of cities. Unless they change it so cities no longer unflag pvp from you character WoW is dead for PVP. Nothing like going to EPL and instead of farming gold or rep for AD, I'd end up in a 20v20 world pvp war.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    WoW PVP became stupid after they took away all the grinding needed and making it so no one needed to go out of cities. Unless they change it so cities no longer unflag pvp from you character WoW is dead for PVP. Nothing like going to EPL and instead of farming gold or rep for AD, I'd end up in a 20v20 world pvp war.

oh yeah miss this!! remember raids on westfall wehre the alliance would hide in the towers and try to take down the horde waves that came to kill all the npc's...those were good times!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I stopped playing WoW for the exact opposite reason. It was bothering how mind numbingly slow content is released for that game and I was constantly bored with nothing worthwhile to do. I switched back to Everquest, and should that bore me again I'll probably give up MMO's again because nothing else really peaks my interest.
    Everquest is still up? I may have to give it another try... :o)
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I stopped playing WoW for the exact opposite reason. It was bothering how mind numbingly slow content is released for that game and I was constantly bored with nothing worthwhile to do. I switched back to Everquest, and should that bore me again I'll probably give up MMO's again because nothing else really peaks my interest.
    Everquest is still up? I may have to give it another try... :o)

Not only is it still up (and producing expansions every year), you can now log in and play for free. There are restrictions of course. But more than allows you to jump back in and get the feel again.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Played most MMO's myself, but now I only play LOTRO as I've a lifetime subscription to it and its fairly casual and solo player friendly. However, recently I loaded some old and unfinished games up on my PC and I'm finding them a nice change from the grind. I feel I'm actually getting somewhere. Currently playing Gabriel Knight 3, Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I've come to the conclusion after playing both WoW and EVE Online that there simply is no way to experience endgame content in MMOs while maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle.

110% agree. It's not impossible but very difficult. The social aspect of MMO's was my biggest draw. I get bored playing by myself quickly. I like the teamwork aspect of working together to take on difficult quests and bosses. All of this requires time. I at most could do 2-3 hours a week. Weekends are a no go for me either since I work them.
    I heard Star Wars might go free to play?

I might pick it up if that's the case lol

This was the last MMO I played. Started when it got released and stopped in late March. I love Star Wars but unfortunately I lost interest. I can only play the solo content for so long before I get bored. I have a couple of IRL friends I could join to do group stuff but they had much more time to play than I do and leveled much faster to the point that grouping was no fun.
  • proudgamer
    proudgamer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have tried a Ton of MMOs and the only one I keep coming back to is DDO (Dungeons and Dragons online) as it is very casual and solo friendly, depending on the race/class combination that you pick. I play for an afternoon once or twice a month.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I honestly was only ever attracted to the social aspect of WoW and the fact that I could turn my brain off and just quest/grind/farm. It was a huge unwinding tool for me. But then it started to eat my life because I had no life or friends outside of the game (my own issues there). So when drama kept popping up and my friends started leaving I ended up tossing in the towel too. I was never very good at figuring out what gear I needed because I just didn't care that much. When I raided I basically had guildies or exes put together a "shopping list" and I would go out and buy/farm/instance the crap out of things until I got what they told me to get. I am good at following directions but I never wanted to be the best player ever.

I've been kicking around the idea of going back (only to re-roll on a different server though). I would only be a completely casual player now though considering that I am working full time and about to start going to school again in my spare time. After you add in the gym and time with friends I won't have much time for WoW.

So I agree with you but because I enjoyed the social/grinding/farming/questing aspects of the game I might go back eventually just to have that turn brain off and unwind time.
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    I played WoW since classic and finally quit last year. After seeing I had a full year of REAL TIME logged only on my main, I knew I simply couldn't do it anymore. I am super competitive and loved raiding, but the stress, commitment, and time sink made me realize I had to step away. I am an obsessive and competitive gamer and have to beat everything, it it's really hard to "beat" an MMO.

I played SWTOR but only did the story on a couple classes then walked away. I was super proud I didn't get sucked into the end game.

I love end game content of MMO's, but the bottom line for me came to there are so many other things I can do with my time that is better spent. I mostly play FPS now on consistent basis (but no where near MMO time) and buy all the RPG's and spend a week beating then- then I walk away. <3
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It depends how your time is divided up, and how you need to play the game to enjoy it, but I wouldn't say it's impossible to play end game content and have a healthy, active lifestyle. I'd agree you can't do end game on the bleeding edge of content, but I co-lead a guild and we raid end game content just fine.

I have a 2-year-old, and I'm not super social, so raiding Friday/Saturday nights is fine for me. If I weren't raiding, I'd still be at home, because my daughter is asleep and I'm obviously not going to leave her home by herself and I don't really have stuff I want to do sans husband. The raid is about 3 hours, and right now only Friday night.

Outside raid, I play maybe another 4 hours for farming or crafting? We've divided up responsibilites for herbs and fish, so I can herb/fish half an hour a week and our raid is covered on consumables. Since I play after my 2 year old is in bed, so I don't miss any time with her. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, again, mostly after Kate's asleep. I play Kinect games and take Kate to the park semi-regularly, and we usually do walk around kind of stuff on the weekends during the day. I periodically go do 5Ks with a friend, and I'm trying to get up the courage for a regular rock-climbing gym visit with another friend.

We don't have a crazy active lifestyle, certainly, but that's at least partially because we want Katie to be able to do whatever we're doing. I still keep a clean house and work full time.. I don't think I'm neglecting anything? So don't think you have to give up MMOs to be healthy and active.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I stopped playing for a while for a second time. Not really for health reasons, but more burnout/family responsibilities. I plan on signing back on soon to level up a toon in the new MFP guild and to play MoP. I've been playing Zelda: Skyward Sword in the meantime. I think with LFR you can experience end game stuff and still be pretty casual, but I also agree it's hard to be a member of a hardcore progression raiding guild and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I hate raiding and have probably only ever done a handful in all my years on wow. Dungeons are ok ,but heroics made it more like raiding. Once you get to endgame there's nothing else to do but raid and raiding really does not bring out the best in people.

Levelling is easy to do whilst only spending a few hours a week online. Once you've levelled and need to get appropriate gear, it gets ridiculous. I can imagine that once you have high level gear that you don't need to spend much time playing. You can just raid.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I started SWTOR back up but cancelled today, it's lost it's interest for me and I gave up WOW a long time ago after many years of playing.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I play LotRO. When I need a break, I simply don't log in for a couple weeks, and I find that re-sets my enjoyment. It's pretty weird in the casual/hardcore respect... It is casual friendly, and you can get to 75 (max level) completely solo, but you can't get the good gear without raiding. BUT, you can join PUG raids if you want, and if you're on a good server.

I lead a PUG raid the other day, and only about 5 of the 12 people I started it with finished with me. People couldn't stay for the whole thing, and that was fine. I just found others to replace them, and did it with 11 until we could find people. We understand. Not everyone is in a hardcore raiding kin (I used to be before I transferred servers - I like this laid-back kin better), but still want to raid. I also find these types of raids aren't as intense. I run a super casual raiding atmosphere. I'm too nice to b!tch and yell if something goes wrong, haha. Just figure out what happened, send the person a PM, and move on.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I lost interest in MMOs seven years ago when I realized they're all exactly the same. Make a character, go fight some monsters, get quests to collect something or kill more monsters, get some ugly gear that doesn't match or looks like everyone else, grind, grind, grind... And I'm not even opposed to the grinding (I'm used to leveling in jRPGs and fighting countless monsters, it's fun), but like, there's no drive, nothing to strive for except new gear so you can look cooler.. except everyone your level looks like you anyway. There's no compelling story or characters to drive me towards an end goal, which really there isn't in MMOs. I want so badly to enjoy playing them, but I don't. Just not my thing. I'm sure a big part of it for me, too, is that I have a hard time finding good friends to play with and look forward to logging on with. So I end up playing some big MMO... all by myself. And it's like, what's the point?