Just a little update after 50 days

ouandi
ouandi Posts: 135 Member
I've been on MFP for 50+ days now and wanted to share my experience with you gals, especially the ones terrified of eating more. I NEVER ate lower than 1670 calories and usually eat about 1860 to 2100 calories a day depending on activity. I lift heavy three times a week and do cardio two days a week. I was getting frustrated because I have not lost any weight on the scale nor were the measurements that I was taking changing.

I had done a full fitness test when I started. I was very strong (66lb bicep strength), body fat was 31.5%, weight of 162lbs, and terribly unflexible (like failed the test completely). So I thought before I give up I'm going to have the same trainer take my measurements again at day 50 to see if I've gained anything. Here are the results:

Bicep strength has gone up slightly to 67lbs.
Weight 163lbs so up 1lb.
Flexibility up 6 points and into the normal range. I started using a foam roller religiously for 15 min a day.
And for the grand prize.....my body fat is down to 29.2%!!!! That's almost 2% body fat reduction without losing a single ounce of muscle. I would say that's pretty good success.

One note on my measurements not changing. I did not take enough points of measurement. It appears from the calipers that I lost most of my fat in my stomach but I was only taking one measurement there when in fact I should have probably done three points on my stomach. I'm losing weight in my back and side stomach but the lower part still has not changed yet.

So the moral of my story is eat the proper amount of food for your activity level, lift heavy, stretch, and don't put all your faith into the darn scale!

Thanks for listening and helping me through the process. I have about 6% more body fat to go so I'll be here for awhile!

Replies

• Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Congrats Ouandi!!

I've increased my points of measuring and have noticed my upper ab area shrinking while my lower ab stays the same. So that's a very good tip!
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    great post! Exactly the reason that progress photos are encouraged. Some of us (like myself) may not see scale or inches being lost because we don't always measure the places we are currently 'changing'. Our body shape 'transforms', it shifts if you are lifting.

So happy for you! Keep up the good work!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Thanks for sharing...I love hearing stories like this...Very encouraging for me!!! Congrats to you most of all!!! :)
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It always helped me to see the success stories so I hope mine helps others as well!
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 344 Member
    loved this and congrats! its obvious you have been working hard and are committed to doing this "right"
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    This is a really good point about taking multiple points of measure. I really should do this as well, thanks for the tip.