How many calories do you shorties eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• kagnann1
    kagnann1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but I am new to MFP and am 5'2". I have lost weight in the past by only eating about 1000 calories a day, but that was also a vegan diet and no exercise, and only for 21 days max. (It was a crash diet)- I gained it right back, so I don't suggest doing it. However, I maintained that weight for about 3 months by eating about 1600 calories and doing Insanity. I "fell off the wagon" when I moved and gained everything back. I am currently on week one of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and following her meal plan. Her workouts are strength training and the calorie burn is low, so I don't eat them back. I probably eat between 1200 to 1400 calories a day on her plan. I haven't weighed in since starting it, but I can see some belly bloat going down, and my pants fit better. I don't believe it to be "water weight" cause I drink my body weight in water a day. (And always have-LOVE WATER!) Anyway, thanks for starting this group, love my fellow shorties!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    How are you tall people getting such a low calorie #?
    I am 4'2, that with age and exercise (sedentary during the week) I was initially on 1230 then when I lost 13lbs it reduced me to 1200.
    Im just in awe (shock really), that people as tall as you all (I can say that because Im really short..lol), are getting put on 1200 intake??
    This is what I ate 1 day last week:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Breakfast
    Egg - 1 Medium Hard Boiled, 2 whole 128 1 8 12 0 1
    Lunch
    Light Yogurt, Lemon, 6 oz 80 12 0 7 1 9
    Banana - (Small), 6 - 6.9 inches 90 23 0 1 3 12
    Emerald - Dry Roasted Almonds - Per Nut, 10 nut 63 3 5 2 1 0
    Dinner:
    Baked Fresh - Spaghetti Squash 1 Cup, 2 cup 62 14 1 2 3 6 I replaced pasta w/ this...no it wasn't noodles but still good
    Ragu - Meat Flavored Pasta Sauce, 1 Cup 140 20 6 4 4 12
    Parmesan Cheese* - Kraft 100%, 2 tsp (5 g) 20 0 2 2 0 0
    Green Beans - Fresh, Steamed, 0.75 cup cooked 26 6 0 2 3 2

Totals 609 79 22 32 15 42
    Remaining 591 71 18 28 10 3

Yes, this was a good day of having calories available for a later snack but I have also eaten enough food to feel satiated!
    BTW...for an evening snack I ended up having 2 cups of plain air popped popcorn which added another 30 calories.
    I am NOT always this good, this just happened to be a day that I got a fair amount of food in for the day with not all my calories being used!
    Here are some low cal suggestions:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar

Private Selection - Belgian Almond Thins 18 3 1 0 0 1 You could eat 8 for 140cal. 1 toll house cookie is 90cal!
    Popcorn - Plain and Dry Air Popped Popcorn, 1 cup 15 6 0 1 1 0
    Kellogg's - Special K Moments Dreamy Coconut, 1 pouch 70 12 2 1 2 5
    Have you tried freezing fruits...some people really enjoy the cold burst...grapes, blueberries etc
    This is a cool treat using only Bananas!
    http://www.oneingredientchef.com/one-ingredient-ice-cream/
    This a nice treat for not very many calories but I can eat it w/out the cool whip!
    Sugar Free Gelatin Dessert - Orange, 1 cup 10 0 0 2 0 0 (any flavor)
    Kraft Cool Whip - Fat Free , 1 Tbsp 8 2 0 0 0 1
    Sugar Free Fudgesicle - 1 pop 40 9 1 1 2 2
    35 Cal Bread - 35 8 0 3 3 2
  • ministephe
    ministephe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    It's really hard for me to reach the 1200 calories a day while eating balanced meals (i'm 5' - 140). I just checked on the app and my weekly average is 763 cals/day. That's pretty low but I just sit around watching movies or working on my thesis all day. I make sure to take a multi-vitamin everyday though!
    If I were to exercise, I'd lose realllllly fast, but unhealthily. (2 years ago after a break-up I got really into losing weight and lost 40 lbs in about 5-6 months, but I got sick). No wonder I packed the pounds back on in a year's time!
    I'd say don't go above 1200, unless you exercise a lot, and find just how many calories, satiate you personally...
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I got put on 1200 and I'm 5 foot, 130. I usually go below that value though, around 1000, but I hardly move around so I'll assume that value is decent for me.
  • sukid88
    sukid88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and started at 172 lbs last year. I eat 1200, sometimes more and sometimes less depending on how hungry I am. I lost 32 pounds in a year doing that; I'm now at 139.

I'm eating the same 1200 and still slowly losing. It takes time, but it's better than yo-yo diets where you lose quick but then gain it all back.
  • dap143
    dap143 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm at 1360 daily and I am 5' 2 and nearly 80 lbs over weight. I tried the 1200 calorie daily and was very tired. I feel so much better since increasing my calories.
  • jchubb86
    jchubb86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 4 and they recommended 1,480 cal for me.
    This if my first day using the program and I already went over by 300 calories. I'd like to think I normally hover around 1900-2100 depending on the day.
    I do not think that what they recommend is healthy for me so I'm going to keep eating what I normally do.
    I have been losing weight anyway, I wanted to start using this in order to be more mindful of what i eat in efforts to kick sugar out of my diet.
    So I guess it's about how you feel. There's no sense in starving and torturing yourself just because they say you should only eat 1200 a day.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I am 4'7 (with 90 degree scoliosis), and my nutritionist wants me on a measly 800 cals/day with emphasis on good protein (I know. Please don't report or judge me.) to promote healthy loss. On a good day, though, I don't need quite that many.
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Around 1380 calories to maintain, and not more than 1100 calories to loose :(