trying to understand, eating more to weigh less.

Options
Never in my life would i think that eating more could help me lose weight. As a matter of fact, I have always been of the belief that I need to eat a restricted amount of calories, and burn as much as i can at the gym to create a deficit to lose weight, but even in typing that last sentence I can feel the negativity in my principles. Away with the thousand calorie diets, the carb cutting, protein amping, boot camp joining life style. I love to cook, and I enjoy eating too, so who is ready to help a sister out? I am ready to make changes that will last a lifetime and I want to be educated on eating more to weigh less, but I have no idea where to start. Are there specific guidelines, or rules that i should be following? Or should i just start eating more?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Definitly read through all the stickies at the top of the forum. This is not a "eat whateveryou want group". Its about eating under your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and over your BMR.

This is restricting the amount of calories your body takes in, but a healthy amount

Welcome to the group!

Mike
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi there Lola,

Again welcome, the first thing you must do is go and read the sticky on "What is BMR and TDEE?"...it will explain the process and provide a link to the calculator we use to figure out our numbers. Then read the sticky on "what to expect when upping calories" and also the one on the "dreaded scale"....knowledge is power and you really must educate yourself on the process otherwise it is easy to become discouraged quickly. This isn't a drop it quick type message at all, but slow, steady and a life long maintainable lifestyle.

So again, we welcome ya! And feel free to post anytime peeps are great at responding and are mindful that we all started at some point...so no worries...ask away!

Lucia
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    There's lots of info around this site if you're looking for info. I could fill this thing with pages. If you want some sort of guideline, this is my shortest version:
    Enter your info here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Scroll down
    pick an activity level that accurately relates to you
    eat that every day to LOSE weight...this means that if you eat slightly above this number you will still lose weight, that is not your TDEE value, that is a cut of TDEE

OR
    Pick sedentary as your activity level and log exercises <-this is what I did.
  • lolamwest
    lolamwest Posts: 40
    Options
    Thank you Guys!!!! I will be sure to check out the stickies :)
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There's lots of info around this site if you're looking for info. I could fill this thing with pages. If you want some sort of guideline, this is my shortest version:
    Enter your info here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Scroll down
    pick an activity level that accurately relates to you
    eat that every day to LOSE weight...this means that if you eat slightly above this number you will still lose weight, that is not your TDEE value, that is a cut of TDEE

OR
    Pick sedentary as your activity level and log exercises <-this is what I did.

Thank you for this! It really helps!