My name is Lola, and I am trying to mae a change.

Options
This is my first post on this site, and I will start by saying that posting about having bulimia on a public forum is like giving a speech in front of a large crowd while wearing nothing but a bright pink feather boa. My insecurities are not a new sensation though, and I have become so used to feeling displaced that I suppose it is time to step up and talk about it.

I am a 24 year old female who has suffered from bulimia since I was 14 years old. Looking at me though, you would never know it. I am a curvaceous woman who struggles internally and externally with my weight, body issues, and insecurities. Sometimes I feel like I am in control of my disease ( I call it a disease because it plagues me night and day, and for me at least, it is not a switch or feeling i can turn on/off). When I am in control, I can go weeks without purging, and at those times, I feel like Rose standing with her arms outstretched on the bow of the Titanic. Other times, my disease takes me on a wild and crazy ride, and before you know it, I have vomited six times and I going down with sinking ship.

I am not bold enough to speak for all people who suffer from an eating disorder, so I will only speak from my own personal experiences. I am at war with myself every day and would love nothing more than to throw up the white flag and surrender. My name is Lola, and I am trying to get better. I have spoken up about my problem and It is no longer a secret hiding within me, waiting to escape and embarrass me in the crowd. I want to live a long happy life, and be strong enough to enjoy it. So staring today, I AM MAKING THE CHANGE.

I look at all the happy smiling faces on people who have used this website to change their lives, and I am hoping that in the months to come I am wearing a happy smiling face too, not because i am thin and sexy (though that would be nice too), but because i am content enough with myself to say, I am better now.

Thank you MFP.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Lola, so glad you are here...welcome to EM2WL:flowerforyou:
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    so glad you came here Lola:) the people here are wonderful and very supportive
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Huge welcome Lola, you will find extremely supportive friends here. I'm hoping someone who has travelled your road will be able to guide you through this part.

Rach:flowerforyou:
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Hi Lola! This is obviously a brave first step for you so welcome to this amazing group! You'll love it here!!!
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Yay you checked it out.
    Look at all the stickies and keep asking question.

But I feel I need to add ... From personal experience I would really super strongly suggest you talk to a therapist/ councillor. It took me about 7 years to get what felt halfway better cos initially I didn't have the right professional support and I ended up having to repeat a year at uni and missed out on thing in my 20's I need not have because of my own internal war. In the end a combination of self education from recovery books, a councillor and cognitive behavioural therapy,and some time on antidepressant meds helped me start to live fully again... And they plus time got me to where I am now. I admit I have 6lb or so vanity lbs that I would like to lose but I'm actually lighter and a million times happier now than I was at the peak of my illness and am eating lots and enjoying cooking and most of all mental peace with food on the whole.
  • lolamwest
    lolamwest Posts: 40
    Options
    THank you all for making me feel Welcome!!! My mind feels a little lighter already :)
  • lolamwest
    lolamwest Posts: 40
    Options
    Yay you checked it out.
    Look at all the stickies and keep asking question.

But I feel I need to add ... From personal experience I would really super strongly suggest you talk to a therapist/ councillor. It took me about 7 years to get what felt halfway better cos initially I didn't have the right professional support and I ended up having to repeat a year at uni and missed out on thing in my 20's I need not have because of my own internal war. In the end a combination of self education from recovery books, a councillor and cognitive behavioural therapy,and some time on antidepressant meds helped me start to live fully again... And they plus time got me to where I am now. I admit I have 6lb or so vanity lbs that I would like to lose but I'm actually lighter and a million times happier now than I was at the peak of my illness and am eating lots and enjoying cooking and most of all mental peace with food on the whole.

Yes, I took your advice. Thank you very much.

I hope to be as happy and as balanced as you are some day. I do hope to see a professional one day, but for now my budget is a bit tight, and I am hoping to try to cope through a few changes. Sometimes i find that if i make too many changes at once, I become overwhelmed and have difficulty following through with any one thing. Hoping for strenth though. :)
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group Lola. It sounds like you've managed to take a huge step in posting here. You have my admiration.