New and need some advice...

When I say new I mean I have never posted here before. Been a member of MFP since March 2012. I have lost only 12 pounds so far. I am wondering if maybe I too need to "eat more to weigh less'? My profile is open to anyone that wants to look. I eat things i should not, yes i know, but i typically stay under calories. I have started to exercise by doing the 30 day shred. I just wonder if maybe I need more calories? I thought by now at -1 pound a week i would have lost around 15 pounds. Maybe I am not being patient enough. Thanks.

Replies

• twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Hi there and welcome! I took a peek at your diary and here are some of my thoughts....

Yes, you could benefit from eating more. From the last few days, it looks like you average around 1400 cals a day.

Also, I notice you don't track your sodium but I think you'd really benefit (and probably be very surprised) to know how much sodium you're eating every day. Those laughing cow wedges are delicious and low in calories but they are super high in sodium....so is cottage cheese and bread. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat those foods but you can adjust your other foods based on knowing the sodium levels of everything you're eating. On the days I enjoy cottage cheese, I know I have to give or take somewhere else to allow for that much sodium.

Adding more fruits and veggies to your daily menu would also help.

First things first is to find out exactly what your BMR and TDEE are (you can read the stickies at the top to figure those out) and adjust your macros so you're eating 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% healthy fats.

I'm sure others will chime in with some other helpful tips!
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Thank you so much. I will change some things around and track my sodium too. :)
  • Kris1997
    Ok, I changed a few things and set my macros like you suggested. Now to figure out if I really need to eat more or just eat better. LOL
  • twinmomtwice4
    I'll take a look again and see what you have!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Okay, great job!!!

So today you've eaten 1270 calories and you've burned 322 through exercise so you've only netted maybe 900 calories. You definitely do need to eat more!!

Without knowing your height or weight or activity level, it's difficult for me to know exactly how much you should eat. Have you gone to the Scooby site yet to figure out your numbers?
  • Kris1997
    Not sure which site your referring to, I am 5'7", age 33, right now im at 176. working out doing Jillian's 30 day shred.
  • Kris1997
    Scooby says....BMR is 1574 & TDEE is 1889. Daily calories is 1511. WOW
  • twinmomtwice4
    Is that your full TDEE or did you take a deficit?
  • Kris1997
    Full TDEE, no deficit.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Scooby says....BMR is 1574 & TDEE is 1889. Daily calories is 1511. WOW

Seems kind of low. What did you set your activity level at? Did you choose 15% for cut?
  • Kris1997
    Desk job, and 20% calorie reduction.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Even though you have a desk job, you are doing the Shred every day, right? If you're working out every single day for at least 30 minutes, you're probably more lightly active or at the very least moderately active.