Recommendations please - reduce speed or repeat week?

Options
I just finished w3D3. It was HARD!!! Is it better, in your opinion, to repeat the week at the same speed or to move to week 4 and lower my speed if I think I absolutely have to? Advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Repeat this week, AND reduce your speed.

If its that hard, you have to slow down.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Thanks for your post - I'd hate to do both but I may have to!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Everyday is hard, but each day I get stronger. I just did W4D1 today.

If you're able to complete all the runs, I'd keep moving forward. I'd suggest slowing down if you're struggling with the distance/time. It'll still be hard, but you won't tire as fast. The idea is to build up your stamina, not necessarily your speed. Once you complete the program, then you can work on speed. If you slow down and you can't complete the time/distance for that day, then you can repeat it. I wouldn't sell yourself short until you get to that point. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
    Options
    Everyday is hard, but each day I get stronger. I just did W4D1 today.

If you're able to complete all the runs, I'd keep moving forward. I'd suggest slowing down if you're struggling with the distance/time. It'll still be hard, but you won't tire as fast. The idea is to build up your stamina, not necessarily your speed. Once you complete the program, then you can work on speed. If you slow down and you can't complete the time/distance for that day, then you can repeat it. I wouldn't sell yourself short until you get to that point. Feel free to add me if you'd like.

I appreciate the encouragement. I'm currently running on a treadmill - 6 mph at 2% incline. I'm able to complete the runs for now but 3 minutes is tough - next level as you know is 4. If I can't do it at my current pace I'll reduce my speed and keep progressing. Thanks again - not in the habit of selling myself short - not sure why I'd start now! :smile: congrats on getting to week 4!
  • Drastiic
    Options
    Actually, week 4 has 5 minute runs :bigsmile:
    Options
    Yikes! I'm going back to the couch! Kidding! :laugh:
  • Drastiic
    Options
    I run on grass soccer fields, and today I actually closed my eyes through part of the 5 min runs. Keep your head up, maintain good posture and form, and just concentrate on controlling your breathing. You'll do fine.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would do both. When I hit week 4 I had to slow my runs way down or I was dying a minute and a half into the first 5 minute interval.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Keep on advancing through the programme and reduce your speed, its the endurance your after :drinker:
    I cant do 5K in 30min not at the moment anyhow, and a 10K when i did my first took me 01:28:28 Last Sunday i did a 10 k race and knocked 3 min off my time 01:25:28

A 5K used to take me 48 min, last week i did a PB in 38 min :bigsmile:

stick to the programme, slow down and the speed will come later

and Happy running:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
    Options
    Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement! I think I'll reduce my speed when I start to struggle at my current speed and keep going! Paulwgun - I took a look at your goals - fit by 50 - which is my goal as well! Which gives me one year as of today! MFP changed my age automatically this morning to 49 - how sadly efficient of them :smile: my goal also includes being able to wear a 2 piece bathing suit by 50 - which is where our goals may differ? :laugh: congratulations on your personal best in your 5 and 10k's! Very impressive and encouraging!

Drastiic - I think I'll keep my eyes open for now - don't want to put a whole in the wall as I fly off the treadmill :smile: Will definitely keep it up though! Thanks again everyone - have a terrific day!
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Repeat this week, AND reduce your speed.

If its that hard, you have to slow down.

I just finished W1D3 and I think I'm going to do this ^^^, but for different reasons. On D2 I noticed a tinge in my knee from an old knee aggravation. Was running at about a 10mm pace and live in East TN where we have a lot of hills. This morning I slowed it down to a 11mm pace (on a couple of segments even more) and my knee feels ok today. I'm pretty elated about it as i don't want to stop because of an injury. I'm thinking seriously about repeating W1 just to give my body a chance to strengthen before I move on.

I know what you mean about not wanting to repeat or slow. I was looking at my stats afterward and I finished the last segment at a 10mm pace. Clearly the aerobic part of my body wants to run faster, but I'm going to have to ensure that my joints are up to the task.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Happy birthday! I would recommend that you slow down your speed! 6 MPH is an awesome speed and seems to be about the average speed for a 5Ker. We are just starting TRAINING for a 5K. I have found that since I dropped my speed, my endurance has improved dramatically. I try to stick to 5 MPH and sometimes go as low as 4.5 MPH.
    Options
    Thanks! I reduced to 5.5 Mph and the incline to 1% - much better- still a challenge - but much better!
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could keep 6mph on a treadmill. That seemed fast. I'm glad you found a pace you like better.