exercise/lifting - bored, need variety!

Options
jyska
jyska Posts: 728 Member
I workout at home. I have up to 25lb dumbbells, a pull up bar, a stability ball, and a treadmill.

Currently I am doing P90X, which is an awesome workout. But, I'm borrrrred - I've been doing that for several months now. I need some more lifting/strength ideas that I could incorporate to keep things 'fresh'. I'm kind of a video person since if I do it on my own at home, I tend to rush movements. Videos keep me grounded in form and slowness...lol.

My question is this....with the above equipment, does anyone know of what comparable program I could incorporate that would keep me challenged at the same level as p90x, and still uses pretty much similar equipment? I don't really need cardio ideas so much, it's the strength/lifting that I'm needing some new ideas in. (I can't afford to be buying new equipment right now, so please keep that in mind)

Thanks!

Replies

• ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am doing ChaLEAN extreme (weights with 2 days of cardio and stretching) and I LOVE IT! I got bored with p90x FAST. But these videos are over before I even know it. YOu should look into it :)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich videos are great. Best out there, IMO, and so many options with all the premixes.
  • jyska
    Options
    I've definitely heard lots about both of those, but thought they required some specific equipment...I'll have to look into them further. :happy: thanks!!
  • mayralee13
    mayralee13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lookup zuzana light in youtube. In my opinion they are good, challenging and short workouts. And dont need a lot of equipment.

http://youtu.be/TTZ5Voqp7Ys
  • ashfuse
    Options
    I've definitely heard lots about both of those, but thought they required some specific equipment...I'll have to look into them further. :happy: thanks!!

with chalean extreme all you need is weights, which you already have. The rest comes WITH the program :)
  • aprilcharris
    aprilcharris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my second round of Chalean Extreme. I use adjustable weights that go up to 24 lbs. With dumbbells up to 25 lbs you should be good. I use 30 lbs for a couple of exercises but you could easily make it work with the 25s. She even talks about how to make it work if your equipment isn't heavy enough. The only other equipment is a thigh toning band and it's not necessary, she always has someone in the videos who doesn't use it.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

The only equipment that CLX requires is dumbbells if you have those then you will be set to go. I love the program and have lost so many inches. I am like you I have been thinking about doing NROLFW and even bought the book but am worried about doing something with out guidance which is why I am sticking with CLX for now and am about to do another round.
  • jyska
    Options
    Lookup zuzana light in youtube. In my opinion they are good, challenging and short workouts. And dont need a lot of equipment.

http://youtu.be/TTZ5Voqp7Ys

Holy cow! good thing it's short! That'd be a killer workout! Those are challenging moves! Would definitely be an awesome quick workout when short on time!
  • ashfuse
    Options
    I'm doing my second round of Chalean Extreme. I use adjustable weights that go up to 24 lbs. With dumbbells up to 25 lbs you should be good. I use 30 lbs for a couple of exercises but you could easily make it work with the 25s. She even talks about how to make it work if your equipment isn't heavy enough. The only other equipment is a thigh toning band and it's not necessary, she always has someone in the videos who doesn't use it.

the band comes with the program. So does the green tubing if you don't want to use weights. It also comes with a fat caliper. It's all included.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm bored too. I gym. Nothing at home. Honestly, I'd never workout at home ...not that disciplined. I'm thinking about Stronglifts. I really want to learn boxing and heavy bag ...but not a place in my immediate area. I will be in Cincinnati this weekend and Cincinnati Fitness Boxing offers a free class. May do that this Saturday.
  • ashfuse
    Options
    I'm bored too. I gym. Nothing at home. Honestly, I'd never workout at home ...not that disciplined. I'm thinking about Stronglifts. I really want to learn boxing and heavy bag ...but not a place in my immediate area. I will be in Cincinnati this weekend and Cincinnati Fitness Boxing offers a free class. May do that this Saturday.

boxing and kick boxing are my favorite!!!! :):) You should invest in some basic tae bo to see if you like it!
  • jyska
    Options
    I love kickboxing too...have a couple of programs for that! I have the opposite problem with gyms though...I am more likely to work out at home than go to a gym!

Ok, people...ya'll better not be snowing me, 'cause I just ordered Chalean Xtreme (since it seems to be the most fav out there at the moment and I know I have what I need for it already) and then down the road I'll look into the Cathe program (pretty sure that one needs a bit more equipment).

So, looking forward to joinin' the CLX crew for a while...at least until it's time for this gal to move on again. I get bored so easily! lol...
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try Butt Bible - videos are free on youtube, but I'm positive you can buy the offical DVD.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options

This isn't far from me at all i might have to check it out sometime. Good luck with the class if you take it !
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

So, looking forward to joinin' the CLX crew for a while...at least until it's time for this gal to move on again. I get bored so easily! lol...

Welcome to the gang ;)
    It's a fun workout, a bit short for my liking so I always do some ab workout the same day as I do the lifting
  • kchris41
    kchris41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love kickboxing too...have a couple of programs for that! I have the opposite problem with gyms though...I am more likely to work out at home than go to a gym!

Ok, people...ya'll better not be snowing me, 'cause I just ordered Chalean Xtreme (since it seems to be the most fav out there at the moment and I know I have what I need for it already) and then down the road I'll look into the Cathe program (pretty sure that one needs a bit more equipment).

I've been looking at this, too. Did you order it straight from the company or Amazon? Thanks!
  • Sid422
    Sid422 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jyska
    Options

I've been looking at this, too. Did you order it straight from the company or Amazon? Thanks!

Ordered it from the company. I live in Canada so it wasn't available on amazon.ca.
  • jyska
    Options

Welcome to the gang ;)
    It's a fun workout, a bit short for my liking so I always do some ab workout the same day as I do the lifting

This might actually be a good thing for me...by the time I'm done an hour of p90X I have a hard time getting in any CORE work...so a shorter one, plus some core would be perfect.
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options

Welcome to the gang ;)

This might actually be a good thing for me...by the time I'm done an hour of p90X I have a hard time getting in any CORE work...so a shorter one, plus some core would be perfect.

Love it this is what I do I add one of the two ab work outs that come with the program after each lifting day which makes my work out about an hour instead of just 45 minutes plus it comes with a Turbo fire free DVD which has a 10 minute stretch on it that I love to add to my lift days because my one and only complaint with CLX is there isn't enough of a cool down. Once I started adding the stretch 10 I was less sore and tight. Also for all you doing CLX I have an accountability group where you can ask questions, give your experience etc. If you are interested feel free to join. http://www.facebook.com/groups/310563085692831/

Edit: for typing to fast :huh: