Waht now...? I'm stuck!

Options
Elle408
Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
Firstly... this is SO COMPLETELY WORKING FOR ME! (Sorry, just had to point that out! lol)

Quick recap before the problem... Got to goal March 2011 (after following the 1200cal limit but eating exercise calories), was maintaining well until New Years this year when my college work got a bit much and I put on the freshman 15 (leading me to 140lbs) I decided to go on a deficit again and dropped to 1200 automatically - my body was not happy! I felt ill, weak, shaky and was prone to violent outbursts (not physically violent, lol). So I started researching the EM2WL plan and decided to give it a go. I didn't want to jump straight to my TDEE cut so every two weeks upped my calories by 150, and am now at 1700, I'm practically back at my goal weight, give or take 5lbs and am not quite sure what to do now.

I'm having a dilemma as I seem to now be losing weight (which is great for these last 5lbs!) so I'm a bit reluctant to add a further 300cals to get me to my 2000 TDEE, I feel full and well fuelled after my 1700cals. According to Scooby, to gain muscle and lose fat (which is what I really want to do now, as opposed to losing more weight) I should be eating 2000 a day, that includes light exercise (a few genetic health problems limiting my exercise at the moment). But I'm wary as to the impact of eating a further 300 calories with little exercise bar some home workouts of crunches, 5kg dumb bell arm lifts etc. and lots of walking?? I'm really not sure what to do! Any and all advice greatly appreciated!

Replies

• watchmelose2
    watchmelose2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I say stick with what Scooby says! It's been working for lots of people...Including yourself! Why change now..when its been working up to now! Goodluck! I just started this program..and am scared of gaining myself! Im stuck at 151 lbs hoping to get more lbs off soon!:drinker:

5369216.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Congrats on the weightloss.

I will say if you are not heavy lifting, I would not go above maintenance. While eating at Maint, you can still tone up/gain definition. In general without heavy lifting its very hard to build muscle if at all possible.

I would say you are good where you at. If you start lifting heavy, then think about bumping up to a calorie surplus (clean eating + boatloads of protein + lifting heavy) to help build lean muscle mass.

Mike
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Well, according to Scooby... my TDEE is 1983, and the 'Gain muscle, lose fat' setting also leaves me at 1983, which I will round up to 2000. I guess I just like the fact that I just started losing and don't feel hungry at 1700... hmm, maybe if I go up to 1850 for a few weeks and see what happens? Aargh!

Sorry, it seems a little pathetic now to be so unsure about adding calories when yes, it IS working! The 1700 I am currently eating is my TDEE -15%, as I did what to lose weight, where as now I don't, I should just steadily go up towards my maintenance and stay there until I can work out? That makes sense... Haha, thanks!