Front Squat Push Press (Stages 2 & 4)

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
I'm finishing Stage 2 tomorrow, so it'll be a few weeks before I have to decide, but has anyone who's done Stage 2 (or 4) skipped the FSPP's, and do back squats & dumbbell shoulder press instead?

I stayed with FSPP for all of stage 2, and it was only in workout A4 that I thought I might be finally getting the hang of it, but I'm using so much less weight than I know I could do if I broke it up and did back squats instead. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has done that, or do you all just stay with FSPP's?

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I personally like the FSPP's (well, you know, as much as I *can* like them). Why would you switch?
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm a "rule follower" so will probably just do it as written, although I get what you mean about being able to lift more doing them separately. I just figure that the author is the expert and there is probably some benefit to doing it together that we don't know. :smile:
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but I did 2 sets of regular back squats after my A workout yesterday and already noticed a drop in the weight I could do. That made me kinda mad. Anyways, I think if you alternated with overhead presses and regular back squats, you'd get the benefit of FSPPs.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I personally like the FSPP's (well, you know, as much as I *can* like them). Why would you switch?

2 reasons I might switch: I think my form is better on back squats, and I like being able to lift a lot more weight on back squats.

I feel like with FSPP I'm sacrificing the squats for the benefit of pushing myself on the presses.
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do a few back squats as a warm-up before I do the FSPP. I don't use all the weight I used to do and I have wondered about that - but I really like the FSPP - even though I struggle with it at times. It really works all of the body and with all of the leg work in stage 2 I really think my squat form has gotten so much better. I think it has become one of my favorite exercises. Do you use the squat rack when you do them? I have read that others are doing them with dumbbells or with another bar. Even though I struggle a bit with the weight to do all of the reps I think using the squat rack makes it so much easier.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I love the front squat/push press. I found that I could squat much deeper with the bar in front, and when I went back to back squats after doing FSPP my form was better there too. I'm doing my own lifting program now but I still do FSPP once a week (I do back squats once a week too, and I do dumbbell shoulder press also).
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of this one. But I'm pushing through. I've only got one of Workout A left anyway till I'm done with Stage 4.

The FSPS always has a way of making me feel as if I've made no progress.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

2 reasons I might switch: I think my form is better on back squats, and I like being able to lift a lot more weight on back squats.

I feel like with FSPP I'm sacrificing the squats for the benefit of pushing myself on the presses.

I just had to think of them as it's own stand-alone lift -- not necessarily a "squat." I started with 45lbs and today I do my final A workout in this stage and I will have made no progress as far as adding any weight, but my form is much better and my balance is a million times better. The first day, after going from the squat pushing the bar overhead with one motion on my toes, I had to take a few balance steps after EVERY rep. Not to mention get my bearings for the last 2 reps -- I could *barely* get them done and needed a few seconds. It's still not easy where I should be adding weight, but it's fluid like it's supposed to be.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I tried them for the first time tonight & loved them! I could only lift the bar, as compared to my 100 lb back squat, but the balancing really works your core. My legs are very strong - I'm looking forward to doing something to shift the focus elsewhere.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't have my book right here, but from what I recall it's not supposed to be like a squat - it's an explosive powerful movement rather than a straight up lift, so it works a little differently. Just doing squats and shoulder presses wouldn't have the same effect. If you feel like you're sacrificing your squats, you could alternate them in I guess.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I found this video on You Tube, after watching the one above. It really shows that it's not two separate exercises at all, but one different exercise that is similar to two others. It's almost a jump versus a squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXMjI4VJbk
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I did. I can't do the front squat because it hurts a not-so-old wrist injury.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    tried it today with te 45lb bar.. it was tough!

the internet makes it look so simple.. hahah\
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tried these yesterday for the first time - just starting stage 2. I was not able to get my upper arms to a 90 degree angle with my torso and the placement really strained my wrist. Has anyone else had these issues? I finished the sets doing separated squats and overhead presses but according to the book the power movement works you muscles in a different way and I'd like to be able to do that. I just feel like my arms and wrists absolutely can not (and feels like SHOULD NOT) be in that 90 degree angle position and still be able to hold on the the bar at my chest. Are my arms too long??
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Take a look at jo_marnes thread fspp wtf? There is a lot of helpful stuff in there incl videos.