Olympic Lifting - anyone else do it?

Options
Nataliaho
Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
Just wanted to see if anyone else was into olympic lifting? I have been doing some olympic lifting on and off for the past couple of years and I love it. So good for your body, really mentally challenging and technical.

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    would love to learn them, but right now I'm so intimidated by oly lifts. They are so hard and great for the body!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I love them- I hope to work up to them soon. I'm more into powerlifting but there's a technical grace to the OLYs that always makes my jaw drop.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in Olympic Lifting but I would need a trainer to help with form so I could do it safely.
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    Totally interested, but I don't do it...yet.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in Olympic Lifting but I would need a trainer to help with form so I could do it safely.

Yeah I totally get that, I really admire all you girls who are doing this alone! I'm lucky to have always had a trainer and currently I have two. There is no way I'd be lifting the weights I lift if I didn't. Apart from technique, they are able to tell you what you are capable of and push you to lift more. It would be much more intimidating to go it alone!
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I'm going to take a class on it probably in the fall...loving my new gym because they offer so many class options and they recently added olympic lifts. For now I'm still feeling like the newbie in my power lifting class and de-loaded from StrongLifts big time to work on form. Lifting has become such an awesome challenge! Addicted. Olympic lifts is officially added to my list!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...maybe if I were 10 years younger and didn't have a family so I could devote the time to it. For now, I'm just happy to be lifting considering all my responsibilities.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    here's a good article on o lifts http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_olympic_lifts

i love these!! i first got introduced in college when i played rugby and have been in love ever since.

i've backed off these for a bit for the moment because i have some really bad imbalances in my body in my right shoulder and left hip and hamstrings that i need to work on , but hopefully by the end of the summer i'll be able to have correct range of motion i need to screw myself up anymore.

in the meantime i'm doing stronglifts, yoga, stretching and rehab exercises.