How can MFP be so wrong?

Options
melry77
melry77 Posts: 43 Member
So I've manually increased my calories to a point where MFP says I won't lose weight, manually changed my macros, I completely disregard the red numbers on my fat and sugars because they seem unavoidable when eating healthy dairy, nuts and fruits, and no longer log my exercise because MFP doesn't recognize any calorie burn in weight lifting. So if I'm right (which I feel I am, based on research and how GREAT I FEEL), how is mfp so wrong? Who designed this program and for whom? How can I be successful doing the opposite of everything the program suggests, which seems to work great for other people?

Replies

• josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Realistically, going by MFP, I am eating too much based on my activity level and size. But, I am eating at 15% less than my TDEE so there is a calorie deficit. I am eating at least 200 extra cals a day more than I was eating but in reality it is closer to 300 cals a day more.

Based on the built in calculator MFP uses, most people want to lose the maximum amount of weight possible so plug that figure in, as a result MFP gives them the minimum amount you can eat - 1200 calories. This is why so many people end up on a low low cal diet.

I am too new to EM2WL to comment with any authority but eating 15% less than my TDEE (my cut) with no metabolism reset (eating at full TDEE), I gained 1.5 lb in my first week, and lost 1.5 lb this week, so I am no worse off so far. Week 3 will be interesting.

I personally think the only reason why I consistently lost at a 1200 a day calorie goal was because I calorie cycled or zig zagged, so my metabolism never got used to the same intake everyday. But I had to calorie cycle because on 1200 cals a day I was sooooooo *bored*.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    So I've manually increased my calories to a point where MFP says I won't lose weight, manually changed my macros, I completely disregard the red numbers on my fat and sugars because they seem unavoidable when eating healthy dairy, nuts and fruits, and no longer log my exercise because MFP doesn't recognize any calorie burn in weight lifting. So if I'm right (which I feel I am, based on research and how GREAT I FEEL), how is mfp so wrong? Who designed this program and for whom? How can I be successful doing the opposite of everything the program suggests, which seems to work great for other people?

I've been here for over 8 weeks and by no means am I an expert at anything but this is what I've gotten from being here so far:

If you want to lose WEIGHT, MFP and all the other "diets" WILL do that for you AS LONG AS YOU ADHERE 100% to the Plan for 100% of the time. This will work for a period of time but for most people, the WEIGHT LOSS stalls, they become discouraged, go back to un-healthy eating, and GAIN the weight back. AND they damage their metabolism.

Here at EM2WL we are NOT about losing WEIGHT~ which, by the way, is a combination of FAT AND LEAN MUSCLE TISSUES.
    We are about KEEPING and/or BUILDING LEAN MUSCLE TISSUE, eating a healthy selection and amount of foods, HEALING our damaged metabolism and the other side effects of VLCDs, and coming out on the other side as a robust, healthy and emotionally in-control adult!! OUR "weight loss" will occur NATURALLY.

You just have to remember: you can lose WEIGHT in multiple ways but how will you 'come out on the other side"~ a skinny, bald, starving ball of nerves??